Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just in my first post op week. How long can I go before I can drink out of a straw again?

I'm almost 4 months out and drank out of a straw last week with no problem.

Some docs don't care about straws at all. The concern is for swallowing air and taking big gulps. Personally, I found I could control my sips better through a straw.

Probably very early out you can tolerate drinking with one ... But ask your team about it

I used to be a big rebel and avid straw sipper, these days I dropped the straw because my (new) Surgeon demanded it.

wow..demanded it. I know most of us are told not to..but before I even started this journey I started using straws as a barrier for my teeth which suddenly don't handle cold sensations as well. When I started on this journey I tried to make a habit out of tiny sips..and using my tongue to block the straw..almost as a dosing system.

OK, I know that probably sounds all kind of weird. No one could tell I was doing it. I've been missing my big -generic Yeti Water containers that I had a plastic straw (reusable) that I adored. I love having a huge cup with a lid as I have 3 cats and if they even spot an open cup from 100 yards away, you can blink and suddenly there is a furry head drinking your finest filtered water.

Now I'm having to remove the lid off the cup I'm currently using & try to bring it to my mouth to take small sips..usually with a cat cuddled on my chest...and they are like "what do you have there"..then their bobbing and weaving heads get in the way of me trying to drink and I end up spilling water...ok..see, I've talked myself into it..it is for safety and the ability to keep hydrated that I should be allowed to have my big girl cup back WITH a STRAW.

Sigh..I'll keep being compliant for now (sans straw)...I did manage to frustrate my cats by pouring water into those little disposable 2 oz containers with lids. I swear they have expressions and they were not amused..but I got my water...2 oz's @ a time.

I've found that if sipping from a straw slowly and concentrating on what I'm doing I can drink from it without swallowing too much air. But for the most part I've just given them up. Better for the environment anyways, right?

I started using a straw a little bit at about 4 months out. I rarely use it now but on occasion.

My surgeon never told me to avoid straws. In fact, I believe I may have had one in the hospital right after surgery. Knowing that it could lead to swallowing air or taking gulps that were too big, I took it upon myself to only sip.

Since then, I haven't avoided them but I don't go out of my way to use them.

However, recently I have developed an affinity for my Yeti topper with a straw. I like having it keep my drink cool in the evenings as I sip away.

As I recall, I used them in the hospital, in those little juice boxes. As you can see, this is one of those things that some docs make a big deal about and others don't have any problem. It seems to be another case where if it bothers you (like sucking in too much air - don't try to get that last drop!), don't do it, and if it doesn't, then it isn't hurting anything.

Some docs don't care about straws at all. The concern is for swallowing air and taking big gulps. Personally, I found I could control my sips better through a straw.
I remember my Gastro in Macon,GA. telling me about that 7 year ago. I think my biggest problem will be having to get myself used to putting my girl or spoon down between bites.

Sent from my SM-J327V using BariatricPal mobile app

wow..demanded it. I know most of us are told not to..but before I even started this journey I started using straws as a barrier for my teeth which suddenly don't handle cold sensations as well. When I started on this journey I tried to make a habit out of tiny sips..and using my tongue to block the straw..almost as a dosing system.
OK, I know that probably sounds all kind of weird. No one could tell I was doing it. I've been missing my big -generic Yeti Water containers that I had a plastic straw (reusable) that I adored. I love having a huge cup with a lid as I have 3 cats and if they even spot an open cup from 100 yards away, you can blink and suddenly there is a furry head drinking your finest filtered water.
Now I'm having to remove the lid off the cup I'm currently using & try to bring it to my mouth to take small sips..usually with a cat cuddled on my chest...and they are like "what do you have there"..then their bobbing and weaving heads get in the way of me trying to drink and I end up spilling water...ok..see, I've talked myself into it..it is for safety and the ability to keep hydrated that I should be allowed to have my big girl cup back WITH a STRAW.
Sigh..I'll keep being compliant for now (sans straw)...I did manage to frustrate my cats by pouring water into those little disposable 2 oz containers with lids. I swear they have expressions and they were not amused..but I got my water...2 oz's @ a time.
I plan on taking one if my large coffee mugs for hot water for when I sip on chamomile and peppermint teas since I have to give up coffee.

My two cars will keep me company when I get back home from the hospital.