Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone!

So I am currently 2 Months and a Half Post-Op from my Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (5/13/19). So far, I have had a great recovery and have had no problems getting food down. Today though, I threw up for the first time in this whole entire journey. I ate a Dill Pickle wrapped in Ham and cheese. Is it normal for my first vomit experience to have come this late into my journey? Could it have been the acid in the vinegar from the pickle? What do you all think?

8 minutes ago, Ruby Hernandez said:

Hello Everyone!

So I am currently 2 Months and a Half Post-Op from my Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (5/13/19). So far, I have had a great recovery and have had no problems getting food down. Today though, I threw up for the first time in this whole entire journey. I ate a Dill Pickle wrapped in Ham and cheese. Is it normal for my first vomit experience to have come this late into my journey? Could it have been the acid in the vinegar from the pickle? What do you all think?

Vomit is never a fun experience. Hope it was just a food tolerance issue.

Yikes! Sorry!!! You'll know soon if it's a one-off. Maybe take a small step back a stage at your next meal and see how you do with it, and also see how you do with fluids.

A tough food can happen any time. Or maybe you didn't chew well enough, ate too fast, took too big of a bite, or are just having an "off" day where your pouch or esophagus are irritated.

Edited by FluffyChix

At 4 months out, I was standing over the toilet at a restaurant for the very first time since surgery. Nothing came out, but I thought I was going to, it was as close as I have ever been since. I believe I had just eaten too much. I had a steak and didn't want to reveal to my coworkers that I had a small stomach so I probably over did it a bit. I'm sure they're on to me now.

At 2-1/2 months you're only 10ish weeks removed from surgery. My schedule for altered diet went to 9 weeks post-op for softer foods. Could have been just a fluke, but really, you're not that far out from healing still.

So sorry that happened to you Ruby. Is there a way we can avoid vomiting ? I have a real bad fear of it . It hasn’t happened to me for 50 years! So I’m really really worried about it . Was anyone else like this? or is it just me ? I’m having a by pass on 12th August .

56 minutes ago, PEGGO said:

So sorry that happened to you Ruby. Is there a way we can avoid vomiting ? I have a real bad fear of it . It hasn’t happened to me for 50 years! So I’m really really worried about it . Was anyone else like this? or is it just me ? I’m having a by pass on 12th August .

I would not go as far as to say it's a *pleasant* experience, but on the other hand, it's not as awful as it was pre-surgery. For one thing, your stomach doesn't hold nearly as much as it did before. For another, you don't have a lot of gastric acid anymore, so you don't get that awful taste in your mouth. So no - it's not as bad after you've had surgery.

Thank you everyone, for all of your responses! I just ate some salad and it went down without a problem. I am very convinced it was the pickle. Thank you, again! 😊

2 minutes ago, Ruby Hernandez said:

Thank you everyone, for all of your responses! I just ate some salad and it went down without a problem. I am very convinced it was the pickle. Thank you, again! 😊

could be. I discovered recently I can no longer eat Reuben sandwiches (I used to LOVE them but had not had one since I had surgery four years ago). I had half of it and thought I was going to DIE. I vomited a couple of times afterward. Not sure if it was the fat in it (corned beef...cheese...Russian dressing) or if it was the sauerkraut (acidic). I'm pretty sure it was the sauerkraut, though...

On 08/02/2019 at 15:04, catwoman7 said:

could be. I discovered recently I can no longer eat Reuben sandwiches (I used to LOVE them but had not had one since I had surgery four years ago). I had half of it and thought I was going to DIE. I vomited a couple of times afterward. Not sure if it was the fat in it (corned beef...cheese...Russian dressing) or if it was the sauerkraut (acidic). I'm pretty sure it was the sauerkraut, though...

The surgery forces us to make changes, even if we still want to hold on to some things 😭 I love pickles!

On 08/02/2019 at 13:59, PEGGO said:

Luckily, I hadn’t experienced any vomiting before this morning (I’ve also been feeling perfectly fine after the experience; I even went for a run). It appears that you have a tough stomach since you haven’t thrown up in more than 50 years, so I think that you should be fine! However, there will be some foods your stomach just can’t tolerate anymore. It’s too bad that there is no strict list of foods that we should know to stay away from, as all of our bodies react differently, so we all have to learn the hard way ☹️ Good luck on your surgery though! 😊

10 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

you don't have a lot of gastric acid anymore, so you don't get that awful taste in your mouth. So no - it's not as bad after you've had surgery.

Oh my gosh you answered something that has been puzzling. I've been trying to tell my dr's office that I've been having a GREAT deal of nausea (something I've never handled well). They prescribed me zofran even though I told them I was allergic to it. I was at CVS the other day - one of my first outings - I'm a week post-op...and between the heat and just not feeling "good"..I felt a surge up my throat...and then it went back down.

I had been thinking..well, I couldn't have almost vomited as it didn't have that 'vile' taste....but it's hard to mistake the feeling of that moment right before you vomit. It was too close to comfort for me. I'm still at 300 or less calories a day..and all liquids...so am not sure what is causing the constant nausea. I do know that further stressing my body with things like extreme heat..seem to bring it on even more.

I SO miss that patch they had me put on before surgery. I've gotta call Dr's office back and remind them I CANNOT take Zofran and I'd really like to not feel so sick every day (have developed sudden major allergies to so the drainage does a number on me too).

Thanks Ruby. That makes me feel a bit better . I think it’s the biggest fear I have with this surgery . Pain I can deal with, but vomiting - no 😖Hope things are going well for you now .