Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrified Newbie

Ok, so i'm booked to be banded on Dec. 7th. I've been reading through these complication threads, and I feel completely nauseous. I know there are risks and complications associated with the band.. it just makes it so much more real hearing from other people about their situations. Is there any way to prevent slippage, erosion, leaking ports or tubing? Please tell me what I need to do to prevent these things if I can because I want to do everything I can to make this successful.

Meghan:eek::help:

To help you get through this, STOP READING THAT STUFF!! It will freak you out so much that you will NOT want to do this. Yes, these cases happen, and YES they are very real. But give it a chance. Don't borrow trouble.

Go to the December Monthly forum and talk with those folks. DON'T READ all of the bad stories before you read ALL of the wonderful ones. We have to give this a chance or we're just going to stay in the cycle of never-ending diets that fail!!!

Give yourself a great Christmas and let's do this thing. I'm scheduled for Nov. 30 and I PROMISE to let you know how it goes.

I have the same worries that you do, but I'm doing it anyway. If it sux, I'll be honest and tell you. But if doesnt, I will tell you that too!!

Huh well, here are some complications from morbid obesity:

heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, blood clots in the legs, female organs, colon cancer and sleep apnea...

Oh and the best one:

"Sudden unexplained death have 40% more chances in patient of morbid obesity."

At least the band can just be removed. :)

Thanks! I know it's just stressing me out to read these things, but I feel like I want to be well informed. I will stop! I DO want to hear how you do on the 30th!, good luck and keep me posted.

Meghan

To help you get through this, STOP READING THAT STUFF!! It will freak you out so much that you will NOT want to do this. Yes, these cases happen, and YES they are very real. But give it a chance. Don't borrow trouble.

Go to the December Monthly forum and talk with those folks. DON'T READ all of the bad stories before you read ALL of the wonderful ones. We have to give this a chance or we're just going to stay in the cycle of never-ending diets that fail!!!

Give yourself a great Christmas and let's do this thing. I'm scheduled for Nov. 30 and I PROMISE to let you know how it goes.

I have the same worries that you do, but I'm doing it anyway. If it sux, I'll be honest and tell you. But if doesnt, I will tell you that too!!

These things do happen.....but when you think about the sheer number of bandsters having problem free days it is less scary. We just don't all of us start threads "Another problem free day", etc. the stats really are quite low.

There are things you can do to lessen the risks of slippage and erosion. Making sure your fill is not too tight, you do not allow recurrant PB's or vomitting without consulting the Dr. Dealing with issues as they arise, IF they arise, as opposed to just hoping they go away. Tubing leaks can be lessened with fluoro fills---but they can also be fixed!

Having a solid support group, and numerous people to discuss things with that have done this before us, is one of the best ways I have found to deal with any of this!!! I love having LBT!!!

For now, the best thread to save your sanity is the before and after pics. We all know there are possible complications, and I do not by any means intend to belittle the issues some have had or are having. But as has been pointed out, not doing something to get the weight under control has very serious issues too. When I looked at the overall health aspects, my choice was easy!

Hang in there nerves are very, VERY normal!!!

Welcome to LBT!!

Kat

I was reading way toooo much before my Banding - I was terrified of how I would cope and so many what "if"s. So far, none of this has occurred, and I think you need to flip over to the success stories, the food posts that tell you what people can eat and a bit more of the positive stuff - this will give you some balance.

i think there are more people who come in here when they are having trouble then when they are not. thats why it looks like so much scary stuff in here. i believe theres a lot of good to be said about the band , yes there are loooots of risks but you can learn a lot about reading how to do it RIGHT in here too. i think you should keep your studies on doing it right instead of all the negative stuff.

i think there are more people who come in here when they are having trouble then when they are not. thats why it looks like so much scary stuff in here. i believe theres a lot of good to be said about the band , yes there are loooots of risks but you can learn a lot about reading how to do it RIGHT in here too. i think you should keep your studies on doing it right instead of all the negative stuff.

Great advise. The side effects from MO, far out weigh the LB surgery. Just be confident that you are ready to make a change and this is the choice that you have made. YOu have done your research on the doctor that you are having do the LB and everything else will fall into place. Follow YOUR docs directions and everything else should fall into place. It is normal to get the jitters but keep focused on what your goal is "to be healthy?" to live life ? take care keep us posted i am 6 months out and have had MANY struggles, broken foot 2 days home, been on meds since August that increase my drive for food, and now been in hospital for pnenomoina but i am going to get on track... it is the journey not the end and i can move now and have more life to live. good luck !

hi ya meagan.......

yer you sound just like me girlfriend.. im getting banded in jan 08, and im nervous now and just wish it was all over and done with. i am a positive person and know the band will be a whole new life change for the better, i also know it will add years to my life. we are all in this together and id love to keep in touch with you.

cheers min from perth WA

Hey Megan, and thanks for your post. I was feeling the same way you are. Everyone's words of encouragement truly speak to my heart. I fear the procedure but I fear mostly the thought of continuing with high BP and diabetes. I want to live a healthy life .... so I try to avoid the postings that give alot of post- op problems. I figure I'll save those for the time that I actually go through it. For now I want to interact with those that can offer me a support system to stay motivated until I can finally reach my banding date. I am just starting out so I have a ways to go. I have my reffereal and will be attending a seminar on Wednesday. Keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have problems with the insurance. Good luck and lets Keep in touck

sosobizi:clap2:

Good things do come to those who wait.

I am waiting too. I have attended the seminar. I have completed the computer test and psyche eval. Now just waiting for approval from insur to set up my surgery date.

Thinking positive.:whoo:

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"></TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hey Megan, and thanks for your post. I was feeling the same way you are. Everyone's words of encouragement truly speak to my heart. I fear the procedure but I fear mostly the thought of continuing with high BP and diabetes. I want to live a healthy life .... so I try to avoid the postings that give alot of post- op problems. I figure I'll save those for the time that I actually go through it. For now I want to interact with those that can offer me a support system to stay motivated until I can finally reach my banding date. I am just starting out so I have a ways to go. I have my reffereal and will be attending a seminar on Wednesday. Keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have problems with the insurance. Good luck and lets Keep in touck

sosobizi:clap2:

Hello. I am scheduled for tomorrow and I am soooo nervous. I learned that I need to stop reading and just rest today. I made this descision and If I want to live a healthy life I must do this. So I'm with you on all your worries. Best of Luck.

Hi dee, yea I could imagine the feeling, but as you said goo things come to those who wait. What insurance carrier do you have? I am sure it will all be fine. Do you have a low BMI? Mine is 36 but I do have comorbidies, so hopefully all will be well. I have seen others with the same BMI and they were approved, I just hope that when my turn comes I don't get drama. Prayin for ya!!

sosobizi

sosobizi,

My BMI is 38 and I do have other co morbidities (I hate that word) But I am really looking forward to this new step in my life. My husband supports me 100%, but I am doing this for me because I am worth it.

Meghan,

Most people don't have bad problems and therefore they won't be on this forum looking for answers.

I have a few friends who have had lapband and RNY and haven't had any problems except eating too much.

They tell me that I am lucky that I can't hardly eat.

I think some people will have some problems but you may not have any.

I do know that you do have to be really diciplined with this procedure.

Good luck and stay on this forum to give the problem prone people help (when) you have great success.

: )

yaya