Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started mine today also. How is it going for you? I’m doing okay slightly hungry.

I had my preop class and my surgeon does not require any preop "liver shrinking diet"! I was shocked and I definitely asked why and their answer was "it doesn't change or affect outcome"[emoji848][emoji848]
So no preop diet, a light Breakfast the day before and then Clear Liquids until midnight and then Water up until 2 hrs before surgery [emoji50]
Luckily all my anticipated preop prep groceries were still in my Amazon cart ready to buy.

Also, they didn't emphasize protection shakes, drinks etc. They want real food except if Meal Replacements are ABSOLUTELY necessary depending on how one tolerates food.....uhmmmm...

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 8/1/2019 at 9:27 PM, Deegirl31 said:

I started mine today also. How is it going for you? I’m doing okay slightly hungry.

It's going ok, slightly hungry too. Where are you from and where are you having surgery

On 08/04/2019 at 12:50, cpgirl said:

It's going ok, slightly hungry too. Where are you from and where are you having surgery

Hi I’m in Central Florida near Daytona. I am having surgery in Atlanta GA with Dr. Nathan Lytle. You?

On 08/02/2019 at 00:53, Deedee12 said:

I had my preop class and my surgeon does not require any preop "liver shrinking diet"! I was shocked and I definitely asked why and their answer was "it doesn't change or affect outcome"[emoji848][emoji848]
So no preop diet, a light Breakfast the day before and then Clear Liquids until midnight and then Water up until 2 hrs before surgery [emoji50]
Luckily all my anticipated preop prep groceries were still in my Amazon cart ready to buy.

Also, they didn't emphasize protection shakes, drinks etc. They want real food except if Meal Replacements are ABSOLUTELY necessary depending on how one tolerates food.....uhmmmm...

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Deedee12 you are kinda lucky. I have been struggling with what to buy. I have bought and returned so much to the store already and I’m 4 days in. I have to be on low calorie, low fat low carb diet for 7 days, then liquid diet for 4 then clear liquids for 3.

On 8/4/2019 at 1:56 PM, Deegirl31 said:

Hi I’m in Central Florida near Daytona. I am having surgery in Atlanta GA with Dr. Nathan Lytle. You?

How was your surgery with Dr Lytle? I am seeing him for surgery and would love some feedback? How was the follow being in a different state (im in TN)?

2 hours ago, LisaDee1 said:

Hi LisaDee1,

Dr. Lytle is an AMAZING Dr!! You will love him and his staff at Bariatric Innovations of Atlanta! He is kind, compassionate and very honest about everything from beginning to end! He is quick with responding to any questions you have at any time. The entire staff is friendly and helpful. They truly saved my life emotionally. I have had no problems at all getting in contact with the nutritionist, or Dr. Lytle for any follow-up care needed over the phone. They will work with your local doctors as well, being that you are out of state. I have NO complications from surgery, he is very careful and thorough. I am 6 months out.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery, you are in excellent hands. I hope this helps.

PS since we will be surgeon sisters, please feel free to reach out to me at any time. I’m very happy for you!

On 2/27/2020 at 7:14 PM, Deegirl31 said:

Dr. Lytle is an AMAZING Dr!! You will love him and his staff at Bariatric Innovations of Atlanta! He is kind, compassionate and very honest about everything from beginning to end! He is quick with responding to any questions you have at any time. The entire staff is friendly and helpful. They truly saved my life emotionally. I have had no problems at all getting in contact with the nutritionist, or Dr. Lytle for any follow-up care needed over the phone. They will work with your local doctors as well, being that you are out of state. I have NO complications from surgery, he is very careful and thorough. I am 6 months out.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery, you are in excellent hands. I hope this helps.

PS since we will be surgeon sisters, please feel free to reach out to me at any time. I’m very happy for you!

Hi!! Could you tell me what the requirements were that the surgeon asked for (vs. the insurance company)?

Edited by Bezy

On 02/29/2020 at 14:29, Bezy said:

Hi!! Could you tell me what the requirements were that the surgeon asked for (vs. the insurance company)?

Hi Bezy,

I have extenuating circumstances so there was no medical insurance requirements because it was strictly for medical reasons. The office required the following:
Testing:
EKG, colonoscopy, endoscopy, psych evaluation, support group. They also give you information to watch videos online to understand the procedure and the transition.

Diet:
Depending on your weight at your meeting with the nutritionist, the pre-op diet (for me) was 2 weeks soft, 2 days liquid. Yours will be based on your specific situation, so it may be longer I believe. You MUST BE SMOKE FREE and they will test you, No carbonation and no caffeine. I hope this is the info you needed and it helped. They will give you a packet once you meet with the surgeon and nutritionist.

56 minutes ago, Deegirl31 said:

Hi Bezy,

I have extenuating circumstances so there was no medical insurance requirements because it was strictly for medical reasons. The office required the following:
Testing:
EKG, colonoscopy, endoscopy, psych evaluation, support group. They also give you information to watch videos online to understand the procedure and the transition.

Diet:
Depending on your weight at your meeting with the nutritionist, the pre-op diet (for me) was 2 weeks soft, 2 days liquid. Yours will be based on your specific situation, so it may be longer I believe. You MUST BE SMOKE FREE and they will test you, No carbonation and no caffeine. I hope this is the info you needed and it helped. They will give you a packet once you meet with the surgeon and nutritionist.

That was quite a drive for you!

Usually insurance still levies requirements unless in some extremely rare case where it’s done on an emergency basis. But I really am taking about on the surgeon’s requirements 🙂. Do you remember if it specifically said EKG or it just said cardiac clearance? The paper I have says Medical or cardiac clearance but the info itself doesn’t specify particular requirement (as to certain test) on that (since there are many cardiac tests that can be done of different complexities). Do you mind sharing with me how old you were at the time? Thanks!

(PS thank God I stopped smoking more than a decade back - I have two insurance policies but their requirements aren’t bad at all and I already had a sleep apnea and scope set up for my own knowledge so at least not a huge and horrible list)

Edited by Bezy

On 2/27/2020 at 6:14 PM, Deegirl31 said:

Thank you for the information!!!! I will definitely reach out with any questions. #surgeonsisters

02/29/2020 05:55 PM, Bezy said:

That was quite a drive for you!

Usually insurance still levies requirements unless in some extremely rare case where it’s done on an emergency basis. But I really am taking about on the surgeon’s requirements 🙂. Do you remember if it specifically said EKG or it just said cardiac clearance? The paper I have says Medical or cardiac clearance but the info itself doesn’t specify particular requirement (as to certain test) on that (since there are many cardiac tests that can be done of different complexities). Do you mind sharing with me how old you were at the time? Thanks!

(PS thank God I stopped smoking more than a decade back - I have two insurance policies but their requirements aren’t bad at all and I already had a sleep apnea and scope set up for my own knowledge so at least not a huge and horrible list)

Actually my insurance company paid for my flight and cost of the surgery. My husbands employer carries an umbrella policy for medically necessary surgeries with tops surgeons all over the United States. 

Anyway, yes I needed a cardiac clearance, which was an EKG, required by Dr. Lytle. I was 2 weeks away from my 50th birthday 8/15/19. Congratulations on quitting smoking so long ago. You will love Dr. Lytle, he is easy going but open and honest. His requirements are not super strict in my opinion. 

On 03/02/2020 at 14:06, LisaDee1 said:

Thank you for the information!!!! I will definitely reach out with any questions. #surgeonsisters

I’m rooting for you! Keep me posted, you will do great! 🤗😊