Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve vs Gastric Balloon

I am 5'2" tall and 180 lbs, looking for an advice which procedure best and safest. I spoke to my family doctor and suggested the balloon but my worry there, can I maintain my weight after taking the balloon out after 6 months or gain back? I did Keto for 4 months and lost 20 lbs but gained back when I traveled somewhere for 2 weeks as I used to do exercise and cook my keto food. Until I slowly feel that my weight gained back and can't keep my keto routine and exercise.

My family doctor says Gastric Sleeve surgery is irreversible and if there is an infection and something wrong or not for me, I can't put it back. And later on, there must be a serious side effect.

And now I am here, I don't know what to do. Please drop advise and opinion and encouragement here please!!!!!!!!!

I personally don't understand how the balloon makes sense to anyone. Why would you want something expensive and short term - so you lose weight from restriction for a couple months then that restriction is gone. Wont you just regain the weight?

You need to talk to a bariatric physician, not your family physician. Your family doctor is no expert, mine certainly wasn't. I found I was more educated doing my own research before approaching him about it . And then I had to spend 45 minutes talking him into supporting me through the medically supervised weightloss.

Yes the sleeve is irreversible and infections can be deadly. But the same can be said for virtually every surgery, sleeve gastrectomies aren't a large infection risk! Infections are possible yes, but your biggest risk for surgery isn't infection, its a leaky staple line. Sleeve surgery has less possible complications than hip replacement surgery - yet you'd never hear your doctor talk you out of getting a hip replaced if they felt like thats what you needed for your health, even though it too is irreversible, a risk for infection and if there is something wrong you can't "put it back". Your family doctor likely sees bariatrics as an elective, cosmetic procedure and is trying to scare you out of it without considering how much your health can improve with the benefits of weight loss surgery.

I agree with everything KCgirl said. To be honest, I've been active on this and other similar forums for at least five years (maybe not quite as long on this one - but at least 3-4 years here), and I've never heard of people with VSG getting infections. So I suppose it could happen, but that would be REALLY rare. I wouldn't worry about that AT ALL.

On 7/31/2019 at 7:51 PM, cam128 said:

I am 5'2" tall and 180 lbs, looking for an advice which procedure best and safest. I spoke to my family doctor and suggested the balloon but my worry there, can I maintain my weight after taking the balloon out after 6 months or gain back? I did Keto for 4 months and lost 20 lbs but gained back when I traveled somewhere for 2 weeks as I used to do exercise and cook my keto food. Until I slowly feel that my weight gained back and can't keep my keto routine and exercise.

My family doctor says Gastric Sleeve surgery is irreversible and if there is an infection and something wrong or not for me, I can't put it back. And later on, there must be a serious side effect.

And now I am here, I don't know what to do. Please drop advise and opinion and encouragement here please!!!!!!!!!

It sounds from your past experiences that the sleeve would be nost helpful for you. It will force you to change i think you will be hapoy with the sleeve. My mom had the lap band seceral years ago and had complications from the band and had to take it out she gained back alot of the weight and wish she could have the feeling the bad gave her. I dont believe the balloon is worth the money and with you bouncing back to your old ways and gaining then losing i dont think the balloon would be best. Personally i feel like the sleeve which is minimally invasive will push u to lose the weight. And then u will belosing so fast and be so happy you did it.

19 hours ago, KCgirl061 said:

I personally don't understand how the balloon makes sense to anyone. Why would you want something expensive and short term - so you lose weight from restriction for a couple months then that restriction is gone. Wont you just regain the weight?

You need to talk to a bariatric physician, not your family physician. Your family doctor is no expert, mine certainly wasn't. I found I was more educated doing my own research before approaching him about it . And then I had to spend 45 minutes talking him into supporting me through the medically supervised weightloss.

Yes the sleeve is irreversible and infections can be deadly. But the same can be said for virtually every surgery, sleeve gastrectomies aren't a large infection risk! Infections are possible yes, but your biggest risk for surgery isn't infection, its a leaky staple line. Sleeve surgery has less possible complications than hip replacement surgery - yet you'd never hear your doctor talk you out of getting a hip replaced if they felt like thats what you needed for your health, even though it too is irreversible, a risk for infection and if there is something wrong you can't "put it back". Your family doctor likely sees bariatrics as an elective, cosmetic procedure and is trying to scare you out of it without considering how much your health can improve with the benefits of weight loss surgery.

And kcgirl makes so much sence!!

The process is hard but you will love yourself in a few months watching your body, energy, mind strengthening skills that u will have and love. Do the sleeve ao much more longterm success. You can do it!!!

VSG is a very good procedure 1000s of people have lost weight and kept it off. One guy I know lost 200lbs over 2 years and doing well.

It is technically the least restrictive out of all but still good enough for what you need as long as your follow surgeons advice to the letter.

Pcp is NOT a bariatric doctor!

And IF sleeve ends up Not doing enough it can easily be converted to bypass or DS :)

(Being 5ft2 your ideal weight is like 120?)

Edited by Mikeyy

Thanks you for ladies for the reply. In my heart, I prefer Gastric sleeve but something inside me scares of the procedure. I guess, I should not be distracted to my decision and just go on.

Also, before I thought to have Gastric sleeve, my family doctor says I have a 2cm Gallstone and it bothers me so much last month but not anymore because I was doing Acupuncture weekly. My family doctor says I need to undergo laparoscopic gallstone removal as the pain will come back and Acupuncture help is just temporary. My surgeon says, he can remove gallstone too at the same time while doing the Gastric sleeve? That's why it interest me to have the G/Sleeve. It's like hitting 2 birds with 1 stone. My worry is, I am single mom of 4 yo son and I am working 2 jobs, how long is the recovery of these 2 removal parts? Anyone have the same experience? Is it safe to have G/Sleeve and Gallbladder/Gallstone removal at the same time? Sorry for long story, but I am so undecided yet. Please help.

Edited by cam128
wrong grammar

Thanks you for ladies for the reply. In my heart, I prefer Gastric sleeve but something inside me scares of the procedure. I guess, I should not be distracted to my decision and just go on.
Also, before I thought to have Gastric sleeve, my family doctor says I have a 2cm Gallstone and it bothers me so much last month but not anymore because I was doing Acupuncture weekly. My family doctor says I need to undergo laparoscopic gallstone removal as the pain will come back and Acupuncture help is just temporary. My surgeon says, he can remove gallstone too at the same time while doing the Gastric sleeve? That's why it interest me to have the G/Sleeve. It's like hitting 2 birds with 1 stone. My worry is, I am single mom of 4 yo son and I am working 2 jobs, how long is the recovery of these 2 removal parts? Anyone have the same experience? Is it safe to have G/Sleeve and Gallbladder/Gallstone removal at the same time? Sorry for long story, but I am so undecided yet. Please help.
My friend and I had our surgeries 1 day apart. She had a gastric sleeve and gallbladder removal. She has returned to work after 3 weeks off.

I had the gastric bypass and was also worried about side effects or complications. It has been 1 month and I'm down 30 lbs since surgery and 62 lbs overall since I started this journey back in March. I've had very little pain and zero complications. I could not be happier with my choice!

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the sleeve procedure about 5 years ago. Everything has been fine, I lost about 70 lbs and have managed to keep it off. However, during the last couple weeks I’ve had trouble keeping food down. I can’t eat much and all.. they have done several tests and I am scheduled for the HIDA scan next week.
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

On July 31, 2019 at 9:51 PM, cam128 said:

I am 5'2" tall and 180 lbs, looking for an advice which procedure best and safest. I spoke to my family doctor and suggested the balloon but my worry there, can I maintain my weight after taking the balloon out after 6 months or gain back? I did Keto for 4 months and lost 20 lbs but gained back when I traveled somewhere for 2 weeks as I used to do exercise and cook my Keto food. Until I slowly feel that my weight gained back and can't keep my keto routine and exercise.

In complete agreement with above posters. Meet with Bariatric surgeon and team. Learn all that you can about the procedure. I was able to gain information by following medical twitter and the bariatric thought leaders that post some of the latest data on metabolic changes that surgery brings. Also I found a great podcast by Reeger Cortell ARNP, called "Weight Loss Surgery Podcast". In the past 6 months I only experienced one unprofessional encounter, and that was with Cardiologist during appointment for cardiac clearance. Was scheduled for this next Monday but got the call today to postpone 2 weeks as I'm just getting over bronchitis. Reset for 11/4. Good luck to you! Let us know how things are going!

47 minutes ago, gwoodgm said:

In complete agreement with above posters. Meet with Bariatric surgeon and team. Learn all that you can about the procedure. I was able to gain information by following medical twitter and the bariatric thought leaders that post some of the latest data on metabolic changes that surgery brings. Also I found a great podcast by Reeger Cortell ARNP, called "Weight Loss Surgery Podcast". In the past 6 months I only experienced one unprofessional encounter, and that was with Cardiologist during appointment for cardiac clearance. Was scheduled for this next Monday but got the call today to postpone 2 weeks as I'm just getting over bronchitis. Reset for 11/4. Good luck to you! Let us know how things are going!

exactly agree I did a ton of research before deciding on the RNY bypass.

AGAIN for all the metabolic changes from the surgery over just the sleeve or anything else :D