Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone use a CPAP machine?

I did have to. I didn't use it as much the first day, as they had me on oxygen, but when they took me off the oxygen, I used it to sleep.

I haven't been using it at home as much as I should . Will it affect me having my surgery? Ive got it on 12th August.Should have been 25th July. Was all ready to go down to theatre last week , but cancelled at the last minute because the operating theatres were too hot. Do they check when you go in?

I have always taken mine to the hospital with me & I have never used it their.

They told me to bring mine back to surgery with me because I might need it in recovery.

I used mine. In fact they even added the oxygen to the cpap. I had to stay an extra night because of low oxygen levels.

New_Me 2019

I still use mine every night regardless. wasn't that fortunate not to use it in the hospital. I guess they expected me to hook it up just after my surgery and I of course did not feel like it but it helps me still sleep at night. I don't think I'll not ever sleep with it .it's needed

Sent from my LM-V405 using BariatricPal mobile app

I use my cpap but I don’t believe I have severe apnea. I used to at one point at a lower weight...go figure.

I’m glad you brought this question up because I didn’t realize I had to bring the cpap to the hospital. I figured with the oxygen I wouldn’t need it.

I took mine to the hospital with me but they never had me use it. I had sleep Apnea for 5 years before having the sleeve. Now within 2 months after surgery and losing weight, I don't have it anymore!

I took mine with me to the hospital and slept with it on. Still use it religiously, never slept better! Mine is a bi-pap and they have set it to auto, it runs on the lowest setting all the time. Might not need it anymore, but I’ve put off having another sleep study and I don’t really want to give it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for replying Birdog 😊 Do you find the mask uncomfortable? (although you may have a different one to me .) I know I should be using it , but it doesn’t actually help me sleep any better , although maybe we don’t get the right quality of sleep without it ? I’m so annoyed with myself , and worried that they may stop my surgery on the 12th if they ask me if I’m using it . I have to get my act together and start using it again . Sorry for venting .

I had a very difficult time with a CPAP, so much that I wasn’t using it and my apnea ended up out of control. I was falling asleep at work, driving, in meetings, etc. it was bad. I spoke to my sleep doctor and they were able to switch me to a Bi-Pap which gives me a different pressure when I exhale as opposed to when I inhale. It’s much more comfortable to use. I went through five or six different masks before I found one that worked for me. Once I had the combination right I started sleeping HARD. Usually I slept on my side, with the machine I sleep on my back and for the first couple months I slept so deep and didn’t move all night that I would wake up sore.

Might want to look into the Bi-Pap and try a few masks. The first nights with the machine and the correct mask had me wired all day. Haven’t had so much energy in years!

As for them postponing the surgery if you’re not using it. I can’t speak to that. But I would think the chances of that are slim. But each surgeon will have their own requirements. Mine was more concerned with me getting sick prior to the surgery. He didn’t want me to have a cold or the flu. That would have caused him to postpone.

Thank you so much . I didn’t know about the Bi-Pap, but I’m not falling asleep everywhere , but don’t have a lot of energy and do get tired quickly. It was diagnosed as severe - stopped breathing 37 times in an hour .Maybe Im under estimating the importance of using it .I haven’t had much follow up care since I got the CPAP. Did the hospital help you with a different mask ? or did you just have to keep buying different ones ? Sorry about all the questions .

My medical supplies company that did my initial mask fitting and set me up with the equipment is who I went through to try several masks. I did some online research and found a few masks I wanted to try. At my initial fitting they sent me home with one, I called them and said it wasn’t working for me. They let me come by the office and pick up a couple others that I mentioned. After a few nights I was able to let them know which one was working best for me and that’s the one they had me use. I did find after my surgery and weight loss I had to go to a smaller mask size. The original size was leaking a LOT.

This is the one I’m using , it’s the DreamWear by Respironics. *not me in the picture, I’m much better looking than that guy ;)

IMG_5267.jpg