Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"I think you're overdoing it"

Like, oh no, I do one hour of cardio a few times a week interspersed with some random yoga classes when I'm bored. I am sooooo overdoing it.

6 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Sorry, I posted my exercises in a paragraph above. It's changed a bit since my trainer left so I am on my own...
Monday - Spin class

Tuesday - 30 minute weights (Jillian Michaels DVD)

Wednesday - Either a yoga class or a spin class

Thursday - Rest or yoga or 30 minutes of weights - just depending on how I feel

Friday - Rest

Saturday - Spin class and yoga class

Sunday - Spin class

That's all.

This sounds totes norm. Gah! What is their dealio?

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

This sounds totes norm. Gah! What is their dealio?

Like, I'd get it if I was in the gym for HOURS at a time or multiple times per day or something. Or working like every muscle group multiple times and hurting myself. Or no rest days. That isn't the case at all! That seriously is my schedule. Like today I'm going to go home and do my 30 minutes of Jillian and be done. Tomorrow, I have a yoga class. Thursday, I'm probably going to go home and do nothing. lol. Maybe it's just like it seems like I am there a lot because I go straight from work so don't get home until 7??? I don't even know!

Edited by mousecat88

I don't know how long a spin class is but it doesn't sound that much when it comes to time spans, so if the intensity isn't super high most likely you should be fine (however, this is coming from someone who did a lot of exercise earlier in life and who tended to overexercise some years ago, so you might take my opinion with that in mind).

It might be the six days a week schedule that rubs people a bit weird.

Just now, summerset said:

I don't know how long a spin class is but it doesn't sound that much when it comes to time spans, so if the intensity isn't super high most likely you should be fine (however, this is coming from someone who did a lot of exercise earlier in life and who tended to overexercise some years ago, so you might take my opinion with that in mind).

It might be the six days a week schedule that rubs people a bit weird.

Maybe. My spin classes are an hour long. I'd get it if I was like... doing a spin class, then going and doing weights, then popping over later for a yoga class or another spin class. But an hour of exercise a day is totally normal???

3 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Like, I'd get it if I was in the gym for HOURS at a time or multiple times per day or something. Or working like every muscle group multiple times and hurting myself. Or no rest days. That isn't the case at all! That seriously is my schedule. Like today I'm going to go home and do my 30 minutes of Jillian and be done. Tomorrow, I have a yoga class. Thursday, I'm probably going to go home and do nothing. lol. Maybe it's just like it seems like I am there a lot because I go straight from work so don't get home until 7??? I don't even know!

Totally get it!

Ok, now I only "walk/jog"...but I get up in the morning and do 30-45 minutes of running. Then I do 2 times of a 15 or 20 minute run or walk. I "try" to do that every day. But at least 6 days per week. Additionally, 2 days a week, I try to do 20-30 minutes of core exercises on my own (pilates/isometric/band stuff)...so by their definition...

Just now, summerset said:

I expected you'd be posting something in the range of like 3 hours a day.

Lawd no. lol. The most I have ever done is I went to a spin class and then had my trainer scheduled right after, and he let me off on doing cardio with him because I just came out of a spin class.

My mom told me to "take a class or something" (like painting) and I told her I paid for my personal trainer class and that's a class... and she seemed really irked about it. IT'S A CLASS! LOL.

I think two or three times I did a spin class and then went to yoga (the classes are back to back in the gym), but they work totally different muscle groups and serve totally different purposes. The yoga class was my zen to chill out from cycling my butt off. Nothing extreme and nutty.

But more than them hassling me about the exercise is the fact that no one said a single thing when I was eating all the time. That really does get to me. I can ignore them giving me crap for going to the gym for whatever reason, but it does really bother me that there's this sudden concern when there should have been long ago. And I may outright say something to them about it.

9 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

But more than them hassling me about the exercise is the fact that no one said a single thing when I was eating all the time. That really does get to me. I can ignore them giving me crap for going to the gym for whatever reason, but it does really bother me that there's this sudden concern when there should have been long ago. And I may outright say something to them about it.

I know and you're right. But getting pis*ed and being defensive doesn't help or improve your position. You're right! But for your sake, you just have to label it as unimportant and choose to move on from that. And if necessary, then you limit your exposure to the toxic people. :( And live your best life. But that can be lonely if you don't have new people to form a bond.

Coming from the perspective of someone who exercises 0 minutes per week of course it seems like a lot, especially if you were seditary before.

If you were training for a marathon, the army or emergency responder, i have a feeling they would still think it's a lot/too much because they've seen the old you.

They will adjust to the new normal.

That really doesn’t seem like that much, they probably just aren’t used to seeing this side of you and its shocking.

1 hour ago, mousecat88 said:

Sorry, I posted my exercises in a paragraph above. It's changed a bit since my trainer left so I am on my own...
Monday - Spin class

Tuesday - 30 minute weights (Jillian Michaels DVD)

Wednesday - Either a yoga class or a spin class

Thursday - Rest or yoga or 30 minutes of weights - just depending on how I feel

Friday - Rest

Saturday - Spin class and yoga class

Sunday - Spin class

That's all.

You are doing approx 4-4.5 hours of dedicated exercise a week. I don't think that is an amount to be worried about overdoing. That is what everyone should be doing minimally, really. There are folks on here that do way more than that. Maybe those that are on your back don't get off the couch much themselves, and just see what you are doing as too much comparatively. It's all relative.

So long as your head is in the "right" place, and your exercise routine(s) aren't negatively interfering with other aspects of your life, then go for it, lady.