Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Probably a dumb question

Hi All,

So in due diligence, I've been researching Protein Shakes and drinks. I haven't had surgery yet, but I'm trying to start training myself to drink consistently throughout the day and to start steering away from not eating most days until 2 PM or later. While at Target this weekend, I noticed that they had the Protein 2o in mixed berry and picked some up. They're not half bad actually. They do seem to make my mouth dry when I first take a sip, but I think that's just a matter of getting used to it and I actually enjoy the overall flavor. Back when I had my lapband sx in 2007 pretty much all I had available to me were the milky, overly sweet type of protein shakes and I loathed them after being on liquids for so many weeks pre/post-surgery. So, I am quite encouraged by the juice type drinks.

Which leads me to my question. Given that the Protein Shake market has gotten so much more expansive in the past 12 years, I'm confused by what seems to be 2 different labeled shakes. Some say Protein "meal replacement" like the BariatricPal Protein One and others like GENEPRO and Syntrax just say Protein Powder. I've tried reading the labels and I don't see much difference in the two types. Although I will say that I thought it was rather shady of Syntrax to advertise that their protein individual pack will provide 23 grams of protein, only to read the label and see that a serving size is 1/4 of a packet, so you have to multiply everything by 4 to get to 1. the amount of protein they advertise and 2. the actual calories in each pack.

So that's my questions Bariatricpal world: is there a difference in Meal Replacement shakes and the ones just labeled protein powder Which do you use?

Also, since you're here, if you've had bypass and you're greater than say 5 months out, how many of you are still drinking protein shakes as a regular part of your diet, even if just one meal, say Breakfast.

Thanks for your help!

IMHO Meal Replacements and builder/gainer supplements are generally not for our population. They are usually for a vulnerable population at risk for true malnutrition or athletes (We aren't usually at risk unless their are exceptional circumstances, also generally not althletes in the early stages post surgery)

*there are always exceptions

The calories and macronutrient information on the label will give you clues plus your team will tell you their recommendations for Protein supplements. Try to stick close to those specs

Good luck 💜

Meal Replacements in Bariatric Protein generally means the protein is fortified with additional Vitamins, minerals, Fiber, Calcium, Iron etc. Meal replacements are great pre or post-op when you're not eating normal meals. Meal replacements like BariatricPal Protein One, actually replace your regular bariatric vitamins and you can use them long term.

Thanks for the clarifications. I’m really not very good at eating during the day. But I know I’ll need the Protein to heal and be successful.

I always used the entire Syntrax packet as one serving - not sure about this 1/4 packet business - but I'd noticed that as well. I can't imagine most people drink less than a packet. One packet has around 100 kcal and 20-ish grams of Protein, although it may depend on the flavor.

most people ditch the Protein Shakes after the first few weeks or months (and you can as soon as you're getting all your protein needs met by real food), but some people keep up with them. They include:

1) people who malabsorb protein (like me). My protein needs are much higher than the normal bariatric patient, and a shake or two a day helps me meet them

2) people who can't stomach solid food in the morning. Some of them do a Protein Shake for breakfast instead

3) people who just flat-out like protein shakes (and there are some out there...)

42 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

3) people who just flat-out like Protein shakes (and there are some out there...)

I'm one of these people hahahaha.

I'm 9 months out (sleeve though, not bypass) and I will down a Protein Shake if I find I am low on my protein quota at the end of the day. I also always have a packet of protein powder (and beef jerky!) in my purse just in case I end up needing to eat something and there is nothing appropriate around to consume)

Thanks for getting back with me. It seems like I’ll just have to wait and see what my new stomach will allow me to do. I had a hard time getting my Protein in back when I first had my band. They used to make these protein bullets that packed a bunch of protein in about 2oz, and I’ve seen something similar in the store so I can grab a few of those if I get worried.
I think I would really like to be able to eat just normally. I mean, not like what normal is now, but just regular, healthy food. Ultimately though, I’ll do whatever I need to to get back into control and make the most of this second chance. Fingers crossed!

I am almost 6 months out and use the Premier Protein as a back up. I work in an area where I can't always get a lunch break when I am hungry, so I keep a PP on hand. I will usually only drink half of it, which holds me until my real meal. I do not use them on a regular basis, but always have one in my bag and at work "just in case" I get into a hungry situation where I would be sorely tempted to eat a bad choice, for lack of a better option.