Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Binge eating-14 months after surgery

2 hours ago, Andrejeus said:

at home alone,I start to crave some foods

@Andrejeus

its hard to be alone in the house- wanting to eat. i don't keep junk food around,

i hope you don't either. going out in the beautiful weather has temptations too.

i can't imagine your life in general, moving a lot because of your DH/now he's deployed. That must be very hard on you., lonely - sounds like you are on the right tract,to meeting OP, hiking, exercising, keeping busy.

sounds like you doing well with eating, being busy etc - work, stand tall knowing you must not over eat, binge. its hard, but i KNOW you can do it!!!

its hard to simply say, "get a grip" be careful, but other advice from OP - i can tell you are strong - keep up the good work.

you are aces bud

holding a glass of Water to your health and your success!☺️

take care

good luck

kathy

btw - where are you from??

At my last post op support group, the nurse told us that a “pouch reset” does not prevent or fix stretching. Once you’ve stretched it out, that’s it...it doesn’t go back. Something to think about

It sounds like you really should look into therapy. Cuz it kinda sounds like you are having emotions at night in response to being alone (or maybe even boredom) and then are using food as a coping/comfort mechanism. And once you start, you eat to sick. It is possible to injure and alter your body. You MAY stretch your pouch or your small intestine just below or your esophagus above. Any and all of that is not good with habitual repeated binging.

Please get help 1 on 1 and in group. And try in the meantime to figure out incremental activities that will keep your brain and hands occupied until bed! ((hugs)). I love the coloring app on my phone! I color a couple of picks a night plus walk or run for 5-10 minutes! It works. I also pound a glass of Water quickly when feeling like I "MUST" have food. And I also do the CBT head work, 4 square breathing, and tapping (EFT). :)

22 hours ago, Andrejeus said:

Hi,guys!So,I am 14 months after surgery, and I started binge eating.I was 279 pounds on my surgery day and I lost 142 lbs.I still want to lose 5-6 pounds,but lately I have been having those binge eating days,when I can eat up to 3000 cals.Does anyone have the same issue?On other days,I eat between 1200-1400 cals,sometimes less,and I do cardio almost every day,so I am not gaining weight yet.I do pouch reset almost every 2 weeks to prevent pouch stretching,it helps for a while until I have my another episode.Please,offer some tips how to stop doing it...Thank you!

Sent from my LGMP260 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 9 weeks RNY, but have never heard the term “ pouch reset”. Would someone please explain it? Thanks. And thanks for the valuable information. 😀😀

I am 9 weeks RNY, but have never heard the term “ pouch reset”. Would someone please explain it? Thanks. And thanks for the valuable information.
Pouch reset is basically diet where you go through the same stages which you had after your WLS surgery.The one I occasionally do is 5 day pouch reset.I usually do it after my binging episodes;it helps for a while until the next episode.
c92e62b4ce06f413a36847850cbf53bf.jpeg

I am the same way! I can’t eat a whole lot at once but I will catch a tub of icecream being gone in a few days or a bag of chips gone in a single day. Your “chest,” unhealthy foods, just don’t keep them in the house. Don’t stock up on junk when it’s on sale because you will eat it. Denser Proteins like chicken, beef and meats keep me fuller a lot longer. If you have trouble digesting dry chicken breast like I do, try canned chicken. Much softer and sooooo good. And easy too. I also when I want to eat a lot, try and eat the healthy stuff on the plate and put more healthy stuff then the non healthy stuff so I don’t have room for the unhealthy. If you want ice cream, go to the store and get a small container, or a bag of chips at the checkout. Then you really want it because you went to the store for it versus going to the kitchen ❤️

I am the same way! I can’t eat a whole lot at once but I will catch a tub of icecream being gone in a few days or a bag of chips gone in a single day. Your “chest,” unhealthy foods, just don’t keep them in the house. Don’t stock up on junk when it’s on sale because you will eat it. Denser Proteins like chicken, beef and meats keep me fuller a lot longer. If you have trouble digesting dry chicken breast like I do, try canned chicken. Much softer and sooooo good. And easy too. I also when I want to eat a lot, try and eat the healthy stuff on the plate and put more healthy stuff then the non healthy stuff so I don’t have room for the unhealthy. If you want ice cream, go to the store and get a small container, or a bag of chips at the checkout. Then you really want it because you went to the store for it versus going to the kitchen [emoji173]️
That's the thing,I do not have any bad food in the house.I go to the food store every weekend,buy healthy food,and cook for whole week(meal prep).Binging is a compulsion;it is not simply overeating,it is eating to the point you feel sick.I do not even enjoy what I eat sometimes(can't even taste it). It is eating disorder,and I have to deal with it for the rest of my life.Thank you for your suggestions.I think you are right about trying to eat some foods in moderation to satisfy certain cravings.

You need to see a counselor to get this under control...

I have been seeing counsellors who specialize in eating disorders for many years.All of them have different approaches how to deal with this disorder: one of my councelors wanted me to eat everything but in moderation,and the one I am seeing now want me to eat "clean" and to stay away from junk food. I decided to listen my counsellor and up my calories to 1400.Believe or not,I always ate pretty healthy, even when I was 300 pounds;my problem was with portions.Before surgery,I used to eat the whole bag of salad(which is 600 calories) + I would add grilled chicken(another 200 calories) and that was my lunch. I think best approach for binge eaters is healthy balanced diet(not Keto, not low-carb,not fat -free),but normal healthy diet with appropriate amount of carbs,protein,and fat(and calories overall).Depriving myself of food only will get me in trouble.I did it all my childhood,and as consequence,I developed eating disorder.I will keep eating healthy and exercise 3-5 times per week.I will let you know if it helped me with my binges.Now I have 1-2 per week;I hope to eliminate them.Also,I think I will join BED support group;my therapist suggested one,where the organizer is registered dietician.Also,I will eliminate some foods Enoch trigger my binges;one of this foods is granola(whenever I buy one,I end up eating it in 2 days). Thank you all for your suggestions and support.I feel so much better now!Good luck with your journeys!

Go back to your nutritionist, counselor, psychologist, etc. Binge eating is a compulsion and needs to be treated as such. You can’t just will your way out of it

PepperCat Why do you think you stretch your sleeve?

Yeah I just decided one day no more bad foods.. Gave all the bad foods away..

Now everything in my house is high protein.low carbs. Healthy calories. Drink plenty of Water everyday. sleep 8 hours a day.

I'm saving so much money on my food bills every week :) stocked up on 99c tuna cans!

You can't eat junk if it's not there that's rule number 1.

But yes you need some help to figure everything out before you do some damage..

I do not and will not buy any foods or Snacks that I like. I only have in my house the good foods and if I want to "binge" I can have 3 no sugar added Outshine pop cycles. I know what I like and I know that having it in the house gives is like pouring an alcoholic a drink. You just don't do it. Find an Overeaters Anonymous to help you deal with your food compulsion. You will find others with the same issues you have.