Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have started the process and was told I’ll be able to have the surgery in 3 months, provided all tests are good of course. I have cut out sugar in the last 6 days (hardest thing I have done) and decided to order some shakes from a known company to see how they’ll be. They. Came last night and I had one for Breakfast today and all I can say is....gross!! I had an iced latte flavor. It does seem to be filling, which is good, but it smells and tastes worse than any shake I’ve ever had (and I’ve tried a LOT). I got the sampler to see what flavor is most palatable. I don’t know if these are the ones my doc will give. Anyone know of bariatric shakes that aren’t gross?

Well, my New friend, I have, through things Not All of My Intentions, been on Protein Shakes for nearly an entire full year, started my Liver shrink Diet August 1st 2018, and having had a slower than average RECOVERY because I am Much Older than Average, was 72 years and a little over 8 months for my RNY last September 5th, and we just don't heal as smooth and fast as the Younger ones. I have an extremely cranky pouch of egg-sized gastric flesh whoihave named Precious Pouch. When they did my 1st endoscopy 6 weeks in after much whining , complaining. And burning up their phone wires, it was discovered P.P. had 3 ulcers within herself which led to a stricture of my stoma opening between her and my jejunem plus there were multiple ulcerations in there as well. I have been on Carafate since last October 12th every 6 hours around the clock and the Path has been bumpy. Oh I have lost weight like " Gangbusters" but at what cost? Still hasn't been a final accounting, but I have become a gourmet Protein Shake drinker, as I STILL do not handle solids well. My Favorites in descending order- keeping in mind I have a chocolate Allergy and drink plain vanilla with a gun placed against my temple- I find it thick, white, cloying and tasteless- and I WILL NOT GO there.
strawberry Ensure High Protein Max- like it and the new wild berry.< br /> Muscle Milk blueberry Greek yogurt
making my own with whey isolate Protein Powder and 1% or skim milk- whir it up in my Nutibullet with ice cubes, makes it cold and slushy like a real milkshake
Glucerna Butter Pecan
premiere protein or acts and creme- not quite as fond but it reminds me of those orange circus peanut candies I used to love .
The Peach Mango shake stuff Ohio State has, don't know what it's exact name is but had it during immediate post surgery and when I got rehospitalized in late November. a tale THERE too.
But of All I have tried that Ensure is hand down the BESt , tastes just like Strawberry Quik without the fakey flakey evaporated milk taste or aftertaste I grew to loathe. A lot of people swear by GNC or Unjury, never had either, refuse to frequent Jeff Bezos mega- Spider Amazon so no I DO NOT HAVE A PRIME ACCOUNT! I have ordered from Bariatric Pal Store, quick delivery, things feared always toward us even more than General Public, although I'm sure they also are welcome! Like the meaning of FUBU, for Us- by Us, that's the true Black meaning, other being F Up Beyond Understanding, and when I get mad at Me-thats where I am At.

everyone's tastes are different so you're bound to get 100 different answers to this question. That said, I like Syntrax and Unjury products. Getting individual packets is a good idea - that way you don't waste $30 or $40 on some big tub of powder that you don't like.

Personally, I like Unjury products. My preference for them never changed pre and postoperatively, which is saying A LOT.

You'll find that you're going to get different answers because everyone's tastes are different. I used Unjury back in my Lap-Band days and always kept some on hand. As I started the process towards the sleeve, I went to Premier Protein ready to drink for the convenience. I liked them well-enough and assumed they'd be OK post sleeve. Boy was I wrong! I couldn't tolerate them at all after surgery. I couldn't stand the taste. I couldn't stand the texture. They were just entirely too sweet for me. I had a few samples from my surgeon. I bought a few things from GNC. Never really liked them either. I went back to the Unjury and there I stayed. In fact, I still have Unjury in my pantry. I don't really do shakes much anymore, but I add it to my yogurt for an extra Protein boost.

My advice: try lots of brands and types, but be prepared that you may not like the same ones after surgery. And by all means...DO NOT STOCKPILE LARGE QUANTITIES.

I also support Unjury they were the only shake I was able to stomach but individual tastes will vary.

shakes cost so much I buy powder in bulk but you can find websites that will sell individual servings so that you can try it out before you buy a big lot.

One site I love is

https://www.vpa.com.au/

Pretty sure they ship world wide

20 hours ago, Cherylmilla said:

I have started the process and was told I’ll be able to have the surgery in 3 months, provided all tests are good of course. I have cut out sugar in the last 6 days (hardest thing I have done) and decided to order some shakes from a known company to see how they’ll be. They. Came last night and I had one for Breakfast today and all I can say is....gross!! I had an iced latte flavor. It does seem to be filling, which is good, but it smells and tastes worse than any shake I’ve ever had (and I’ve tried a LOT). I got the sampler to see what flavor is most palatable. I don’t know if these are the ones my doc will give. Anyone know of bariatric shakes that aren’t gross?

The good news is you won’t be dependent on shakes lifelong. Once you can hit your Protein goal with real foods you can ditch them.

I liked creating my own flavors to vanilla shakes -

Latte/ mocha - Vanilla shake with instant coffee and sugar free heresy Syrup

pumpkin spice – Canned pureed pumpkin – pumpkin pie spice

I got sick of the texture of shakes – Natures best zero carb Protein Drink. Many flavors – They are like a sports drink. 40 grams of protein and hydration all in one.

@Mikeyy hi, which one are you buying in bulk from there?

@Cherylmilla have you found any you like now? i had a honeycomb one yesterday that was drinkable but over the top sweet and led to a headache after. hope you find something that works for you soon

There's a few options of Protein but I've gone for WPI 1KG highest concentration of protein per serving and will be best for those first few weeks post op :)

have a look yourself

I have tried a few. Really love Premier Protein shakes. I'm going to try the suggestion of having it in a (decaf) coffee. I'm trying not to have caffinated drinks and I'm doing ok. I have been losing weight on my own. My first nutritionist appointment is this Thursday and I'm down 20 lbs by upping my Protein and drastically cutting my carbs and sugar, except natural fruits in sugar. I'm exercising as well. I had a bad blip on Sunday, when I had Chinese food and my stomach was in agony, so I can't even imagine how people feel when they're post op and having the "dumping" syndrome. I think I'm off Chinese food now. The only bread I've craved is a good bagel (I live in NJ - we make good food...) or a slice of pizza.

Thank you all for the advice :)