Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise and activity How much and When??

I am having surgery Wednesday 31July. I am wanting to use the tool as best as I can. I know we are all different and heal at different rates, but I am wondering... How soon after surgery did you start a exercise routine? What did it consist of?

I started walking immediately, and began working out at a gym with a personal Trainer at about 2.5 months post bypass. I workout for 3-4 hours a week.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I started walking around my yard for 10 minutes 3x a day for the first week after surgery. Beginning week 2, and with my bariatric team consent, I began getting 10k steps a day (5k a.m. and 5k p.m.). I'm now 1 month post-op and walk 3 miles a.m. and bike 3 miles p.m.

I'm looking forward to adding swimming into my routine this week 😊 I'm released to do all normal activities at the end of the week, so I'll be adding in strength training soon too.

The most important thing is to follow the advice of your dr. Good luck and have fun adding in activities that you enjoy!

Congrats on your surgery date!

Best exercise is one that you stick with. Find what you enjoy. Start slow and build your fitness level up. Be consistent.

I was walking immediately and went back to the gym doing cardio at 2 weeks, but no lifting more than 10 pounds until 4-6 weeks.

Walking immediately. Up to 10,000 steps/day by end of week 1, along with wall pushups. Then started upper body strengthening with light weights. Then started stair climbing. Using my elliptical intermittently when I can't walk because of heat or darkness. Recently added leg exercises. I am trying to build muscle while the fat comes off. More muscle means higher metabolism for life.

I have been one of the lucky ones to have great weight loss with very little stalling. I think part of this is due to exercising and trying to be very active. The more weight you lose, the more active you become - it is so much easier to do things!

I walked a mile in the morning and a mile at night as soon as I could walk. about 1 month I added Richard Simmons routines every week day. It was hard but so worth it,

My second week post surgery, I was back to walking. I walked a lot pre surgery. I had no issues. Hard to believe, now I'm running 3 miles 4 times a week.

I watched a video of a bariatric surgeon explaining variability and predictability of weight loss over time. He made a bell curve. The top represents average weight loss after surgery. To the right is a mark which represents those who continue to follow the eating plan to a tee. They will lose more and maintain. To the far right are those who follow the plan AND exercise faithfully. They will lose the most and maintain, as they continue with the lifestyle changes.

To the left of the curve are those who don't exercise faithfully and also those who cheat on the plan. The cheaters and the sedentary are the ones who regain.

This cannot apply to everyone in every situation. Some people will just naturally lose more than others - the body will do what the body will do. But it did emphasize the point that we can maximize our weight loss by both exercising and following the plan. Exercise needs to include both cardio and strength training. Following the plan means to continue tracking, planning out meals, eating nutritiously dense foods, and keeping on top of it so one doesn't start sliding and not be able to intervene quickly. Building these new habits is the chief objective during the "honeymoon" stage (6-12 months post op), so that once hunger returns and restriction lessons someone has already acquired the tools for lifetime maintenance.

2 hours ago, AZhiker said:

I watched a video of a bariatric surgeon explaining variability and predictability of weight loss over time. He made a bell curve. The top represents average weight loss after surgery. To the right is a mark which represents those who continue to follow the eating plan to a tee. They will lose more and maintain. To the far right are those who follow the plan AND exercise faithfully. They will lose the most and maintain, as they continue with the lifestyle changes.

To the left of the curve are those who don't exercise faithfully and also those who cheat on the plan. The cheaters and the sedentary are the ones who regain.

This cannot apply to everyone in every situation. Some people will just naturally lose more than others - the body will do what the body will do. But it did emphasize the point that we can maximize our weight loss by both exercising and following the plan. Exercise needs to include both cardio and strength training. Following the plan means to continue tracking, planning out meals, eating nutritiously dense foods, and keeping on top of it so one doesn't start sliding and not be able to intervene quickly. Building these new habits is the chief objective during the "honeymoon" stage (6-12 months post op), so that once hunger returns and restriction lessons someone has already acquired the tools for lifetime maintenance.

Thank You so so much! This is definitely my mindset. I am taking Short Term Disability & I don't plan on returning to work until I know my body is healed but also that my mind is ready as well. I definitely agree with New habits being the main objective this first year, with eating, exercise and also the emotional mental side. I am ready to get healthy and live my best life and I totally understand it depends on how well I follow the rules and use my tool.

Yes any kind of movement is fine like using little weights on your arms or legs. Just don't lay in bed all day walk around the room even if you can't go far... You need to have some kind of activity that will burn some calories :)

Walking same day of surgery. :) And never looked back. Now walk about 60+mins per day + core exercises willy nilly during the week x2.