Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSGs who lost more than 60-70% excess body weight

Before surgery 300+. Currently, 152. 5'3". So 180-210 would be 60-70 percent of my body weight. I look really stupid below 150. My body fat is under 30% and I haven't had plastics yet. I dead lift and back squat 240. I'm 58 years old, three years out and nationally ranked as a fencer in two events.

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post. I guess one of my biggest concerns is the fact that for over 2 years I've had chronic pain in my left foot that doesn't allow me to do much. I don't know how to swim. I can go for a 10 minute walk or do about 10 minutes on the recumbent bike right now. I can also work out to some chair exercise videos, but that's about it. I'm hoping beyond hope that the weight loss from surgery will relieve the pain in my foot, allowing me to up my exercise/cardio. At the same time I'm scared that my foot won't heal, thus preventing me from losing the amount of weight that I want to. I've been to physical therapy, I have customized orthotics, and have received countless cortisone injections in my foot. Anyway, I was just wondering, how intensely did you all work out? Did you find that sticking to the proper diet was more effective for weight loss?

I've lost nearly all my excess weight in a year pretty much through diet alone. I absolutely positively realize that I need to be exercising to retain and build muscle but I'm sharing just so you know it can still be done with minimal physical activity.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:24 PM, LL1982 said:

Anyone here who lost more than that?

yes.

small print at bottom of all ads required by lawyers to justify there continued existence.

your mileage my vary and results shown here are not typical :)

18 hours ago, LL1982 said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post. I guess one of my biggest concerns is the fact that for over 2 years I've had chronic pain in my left foot that doesn't allow me to do much. I don't know how to swim. I can go for a 10 minute walk or do about 10 minutes on the recumbent bike right now. I can also work out to some chair exercise videos, but that's about it. I'm hoping beyond hope that the weight loss from surgery will relieve the pain in my foot, allowing me to up my exercise/cardio. At the same time I'm scared that my foot won't heal, thus preventing me from losing the amount of weight that I want to. I've been to physical therapy, I have customized orthotics, and have received countless cortisone injections in my foot. Anyway, I was just wondering, how intensely did you all work out? Did you find that sticking to the proper diet was more effective for weight loss?

I did not exercise. I have lumbar stenosis and it affects my legs. I am also 50 years old. Its all about what you put in your mouth and following the plan the surgeon gives you.

On 7/25/2019 at 1:24 PM, LL1982 said:

Hello everyone,

I've heard and read that with the VSG one can expect to lose between 60-70% of their excess body weight. Anyone here who lost more than that? I'm hoping to lose 80-90% of my excess body weight, and was just wondering if any of you had any words of wisdom or advice on how you got to that point. Mind you I'm about 5' tall and weigh about 210 lbs., and will probably have the sleeve done in September. Thanks much.

Your weight loss will be specific to you. Try not to compare weight loss with other people.

Things you cannot control: genetics, metabolism, Health/medical issues, medications, age, sex, hormones. These will be factors in the rate and how much weight you lose.

What you can control is how you work your plan. Log your food, hydrate activity/exercise. Sounds like you are finding ways to get activity in with your medical issues/pain. Weight loss may be more dependent on diet if you have mobility issues.

I am 5’4 1/2 starting weight was 231. Current weight is 136. I am 1 year out this month. You can do it. Stick to the plan...excersise, drink Water and be patient.

On 07/26/2019 at 14:20, LL1982 said:

Hello everyone,

There are videos called Sit and Be Fit. Maybe that will help until some of the weight comes off and maybe then your feet won’t hurt as bad then and you can get in some walking outside excersise

On 7/26/2019 at 12:20 PM, LL1982 said:

Did you find that sticking to the proper diet was more effective for weight loss

you can't out exercise a bad diet. old but true

can you get there with diet alone, yes

will it take longer, most likely.

remove sugar from your life. Processed Carbs are the Devil himself. Eat real food that still looks like it did when grown or raised.

Those items tend to located on the 3 outside walls of your store.

the items in the middle of the store are the ones that will kill your progress and with enough time, You

There are lots of resistance training you can do while seated do not think cardio is the end all be all

the recumbent bike. 1. 40 seconds nice and easy. 20 seconds pedal like freddy kruger is behind you

repeat 3 times total then watch a better movie :)

thats it for cardio 3 minutes as many times a week as you can

the rest is resistance training (weights)

good luck and i hope the weight loss will help the foot but you can get your goal either way