Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 hours ago, 2ndTimeFreedom said:

Exactly!!! They are still pending claims-- The surgeon & PA surgical assistant claims are 299k alone. The remaining portion comes from the hospital. I am just astounded and so happy I have a threshold that I am responsible for that is nowhere near that!!!!!! I am also interested in seeing how the insurance will reduce those claims down.

That doesn't sound at all right. Mine was around $25,000.

I was a cash patient I paid $19k all in. Also received a check in the mail for $7,400 must have been things that my insurance was willing to cover. I was expecting $19k so to get $7,400 back months later is just thrilling!

My insurance was charged in the vicinity of $40,000 which included a hiatal hernia repair. I was responsible for $300 of it.

Edited by YeahOkay31

So I was just wondering why the insurance company called me a few times to ask me the same question a few time today "Do you have any additional insurance?' My answer was no just an employer-provided health insurance policy. So I decided to look at the pending medical claims for my surgery..... nearly 350K!!! I am simply in shock. Has anyone else looked at the cost of their surgery prior to insurance coverage?
A friend of mine wasn't covered by insurance and paid $22,000.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgery was covered 100% by my insurance. The surgery cost my insurance just under $25000 . They tend to over bill because they know they are only allowed a certain amount but $350000 seems ludicrous

22 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

Sometimes they bill the insurance company like that knowing that the insurance company is going to cut it down to their allowable costs

This is what I am praying will happen.

7 hours ago, Brent701 said:

I was a cash patient I paid $19k all in. Also received a check in the mail for $7,400 must have been things that my insurance was willing to cover. I was expecting $19k so to get $7,400 back months later is just thrilling!

WOW - That is AMAZING!!!

22 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

Sometimes they bill the insurance company like that knowing that the insurance company is going to cut it down to their allowable costs

This is what I am praying will happen! I am still flabbergasted and just holding my breath that I will not come out with a substantial billed.

IMG_6765.JPG

Omg..no wonder healthcare is so expensive in the US when hospitals and insurance companies play games like this.

Also it might be an error in coding.
A couple of years ago, coding changed from icd9 to icd10.
I had a mammogram that the place was trying to bill me $7,500 for last year and I steadfastly refused to accept that was normal when it had been just a couple hundred the year before.
Turns out they were billing the wrong codes

Mine was just under a million... this is because of my gastric leak which kept me in the hospital for 3 months. However, before I knew that insurance would cover this, I was going to be a cash payer. Would I have been liable for the whole million? Makes me panicky to think we could have lost everything.

4 hours ago, froufrou said:

Mine was just under a million... this is because of my gastric leak which kept me in the hospital for 3 months. However, before I knew that insurance would cover this, I was going to be a cash payer. Would I have been liable for the whole million? Makes me panicky to think we could have lost everything.

Im surprised you didnt have a heart attack during that time. I honestly think that the stress associated with even *maybe* being on the hook for 1 million dollars would affect not only my mental but my physical health. I am honestly in awe of you.

Given my recent experience I think the short answer is NO as long as you had some form of insurance.