Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too Much Protein?

9 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

That's fabulous! I've been contemplating that change for Mr. F. I don't know if my guts can handle that right now since they are barely moving as is. LOL. But we've brought his bgs down from 200+ to now around 110ish and I'd love to see more days in the 90s!

Congrats to him on his weight loss!! 12.5lbs is outstanding--especially with T2 (in 2 weeks)!!!!

How is your loss going right now? Are you still losing?

I lost 6 pounds the first week and 1 pound the second week and so far 1/2 pound this week, so I'm happy with the movement and progress. I think I was in "starvation mode" the way I had been eating and now eating more calories is helping, plus the overall premise of the "carnivore" diet magic seems to be working. I'm 10 pounds away from being "Overweight" instead of "Obese" so I'm looking forward to that milestone.

2 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I lost 6 pounds the first week and 1 pound the second week and so far 1/2 pound this week, so I'm happy with the movement and progress. I think I was in "starvation mode" the way I had been eating and now eating more calories is helping, plus the overall premise of the "carnivore" diet magic seems to be working. I'm 10 pounds away from being "Overweight" instead of "Obese" so I'm looking forward to that milestone.

Congrats on hacking your plan and finding something new that works for you and allows you to feel more satiety and eat more!!!! ((hugs))

21 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I'm currently on a 60-day "Carnivore Diet" with my husband who is doing it to improve his blood sugar and inflammation (He's diabetic). We're eating nothing but meat, cheese, and eggs for 60 days.

let me know how that works out, that's very interesting. Good luck with the diet!!

I'm honestly just getting annoyed at the little roller coaster I go on. Down 4 lbs, up two, down four, up two... Overall, I'm down from last week., but I'm still up about 2 from Monday.

2 minutes ago, Ellf said:

I'm honestly just getting annoyed at the little roller coaster I go on. Down 4 lbs, up two, down four, up two... Overall, I'm down from last week., but I'm still up about 2 from Monday.

It is frustrating! And so natural! Weight loss is almost never linear!

Here's my graph from the past year! I weigh daily and chart in MFP:

image.png.73ae3a7cdfe7fa38cd778678ccf03b3d.png

Here's a screenshot from someone who doesn't check their weight very often, to put it in perspective. you can't sweat the daily ups and downs or you'll go nuts.

image.png.c7535a5a32156f6a7945be7c2faa8f39.png

5 hours ago, ValerieInMexico said:

I have Kidney Function tests annually, a full CBC, Liver function etc, This is because I have one Kidney and a fatty liver. Also a thing called MGUS.

Anyway, my nephrologist, hematologist, both told me, as a Kidney Donor, avoid red meat. Eat any animal meat rarely if ever, but especially red meat. I am close to being a pesca-vegetarian, but eat meat occasionally.

The RNY reduces the amount of Protein we adsorb, so I think we should stick to whatever our program or surgeon recommends.

Ask your Dr to include Kidney function tests in your next blood work, and do so annually. That should help alleviate your concern.

Wow, when did you donate?//////// My husband donated a kidney in 2017.

I was trying to research this again and keep hitting on information that says too much Protein that isn’t utilized by the body turns to glucose. Also never to have more than 30 grams protein at a time since your body won’t use more than that. I’ve also seen new information that says it’s better to have your protein before rest vs before exercise. Ie before bed. Since you need the protein more for muscle repair. I don’t remember exactly, you don’t want your body burning the protein you’ve consumed during exercise (you want to burn fat)

I know there are protein calculators but I can’t find a balance. I’ve been getting between 50-60 grams protein a day. Protein calculators recommend such high amounts of protein but you need to be utilizing it for it to be effective otherwise it turns to glucose.

https://www.ascentprotein.com/pages/protein-calculator

Then there's all kinds of Proteins

WPI

WPC

CASEIN

they act differently to each other

9 minutes ago, Darktowerdream said:

I was trying to research this again and keep hitting on information that says too much Protein that isn’t utilized by the body turns to glucose. Also never to have more than 30 grams Protein at a time since your body won’t use more than that. I’ve also seen new information that says it’s better to have your protein before rest vs before exercise. Ie before bed. Since you need the protein more for muscle repair. I don’t remember exactly, you don’t want your body burning the protein you’ve consumed during exercise (you want to burn fat)

I know there are protein calculators but I can’t find a balance. I’ve been getting between 50-60 grams protein a day. Protein calculators recommend such high amounts of protein but you need to be utilizing it for it to be effective otherwise it turns to glucose.

https://www.ascentprotein.com/pages/protein-calculator

At 50-60g and 5 feet, I'd say you are on the lower end of your protein window. The higher glycemic carbs have more impact on rate of loss (if you are carb sensitive) than the protein, although about 50% of excess protein can be converted to glucose (especially in the absence of carbs).

@FluffyChix thanks. Nutrition is no solid definite when it comes to Protein (or anything) and I can know something yet also find it confusing. While I haven’t counted my carbs I have kept them fairly low.

I am carb sensitive, i counted carbs for so long but for some reason the simple things are getting harder to manage. I guess I’d hoped I wouldn’t have to count them as closely as I did before. Some things like my Breakfast shake with PEScience it’s nearly no carbs. The plant based Koia are a little more. I’m still on mostly liquids except sometimes BariatricPal protein Pasta. Their Soup. And the juice flavored Protein Drinks. I will try to add more protein options without adding carbs. Which is hard while I am not tolerating purée yet. And I haven’t eaten meat Beyond Broth. Bone Broth is a good source of protein.

I have pcos (glucose intolerance) which is why I worry about too much protein stalling my weight and bloating me. Plus other metabolic issues. Protein calculators might take into consideration activity level but not medical conditions.

Sorry. I shouldn’t answer posts when I’m too tired to think. I’m doing my best but it never feels like enough.

You guys are terrific so much knowledge. Big smiles! I am healing after some surgical complications and I’m averaging about 120 each day as per my MD. He also states 30 is a max in a meal - so of course this means I wake up in the middle of the night and have a Protein Shake with a handful of antibiotics! Fun times

My personal goal is 90g a day, so if I’m a little over, I’m not worried. Talk to your dr :)