Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have read a few posts where people are talking about their weekly milk of magnesia day... How many people do this? Is it something people do regularly regardless or only when they feel "backed up" ?

Sent from my Z965 using BariatricPal mobile app

I just take it when I'm backed up - maybe once or twice a month. I do take a capful of Miralax every day, though.

I just take it when I'm backed up - maybe once or twice a month. I do take a capful of Miralax every day, though.
What does Miralax do? I'm brand new to all of these things such as milk of magnesia and so on.

the generic name is polyethylene glycol, so the brand name(s) might be different if you live outside of the US. It's just a mild laxative that's safe to use every day (well, unless you take a ton of it - but a capful or less is fine for daily use, according to my doctor). It's a tasteless powder you mix into beverages. A lot post-ops take it to stay on top of the Constipation issue.

the generic name is polyethylene glycol, so the brand name(s) might be different if you live outside of the US. It's just a mild laxative that's safe to use every day (well, unless you take a ton of it - but a capful or less is fine for daily use, according to my doctor). It's a tasteless powder you mix into beverages. A lot post-ops take it to stay on top of the Constipation issue.
This is very good to know and I completely see how this could be helpful. :) Thank you!

I take miralax (clear lax) = 1 capful

2 magnesium citrate caplets

1 gel cap of colace (250mg)

12g whole psyllium husks dissolved in Lipton decaff Apple Spice Tea (room temp)

100+oz Fluid per day

emphasize leafy greens and lots o' cruciferous veggies and indols (cauliflowers and broccolis)

:) It's my perfect recipe for throne room harmony.

I've never used it. I don't take any type of laxative or Fiber at all. I haven't had any problems with bowel movements.

I used to take Clearlax (aka Miralax) everyday to keep me going. But since I stated adding chia pudding into my diet every other day or so, I will only take the Clearlax if/when I haven't gone by the 3rd day, which has been maybe 2 or 3 times in the past 2 months.

Although, I have also increased the amount of fat I eat in the past two months, so that probably helps the poops coming too...

I've never used it. I don't take any type of laxative or fiber at all. I haven't had any problems with bowel movements.
I don't ever really feel like I do either. I just didn't know if it was something I should be doing.

52 minutes ago, MzTrip said:

I don't ever really feel like I do either. I just didn't know if it was something I should be doing.

no reason to take it if you don't need it. Constipation is constant problem for many of us, but not everyone. Consider yourself lucky!

My Rn suggested it when I had extreme gas pains after surgery. The barium from the X-ray got stuck and cemented my large intestine and caused a major back up. I went 2.5 days without farting or pooping. Which is a lot for me. I was throwing up the gas pains were so intense. 4tbs of milk of magnesia and I can’t get off the couch soon enough.

I had to initially but once made the mistake of getting the cherry flavored kind vs the sugar free. That caused issues.

Ugh! Ok my secret is to get the unflavored generic then squeeze in some Water drops to each serving. My faves are sf tang and sf Hawaiian Punch.

My doc prescribed it post op. Supposed to take it every 5 days. I am on day 4 post op... still haven't taken it, but probably will today or tomorrow. I am passing gas just fine, but haven't pooped for at least 6 days now. Not that there is much of anything in my gi tract.