Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m 24 and weight 335 lbs. my surgeon and nurse both told me that I wouldn’t have skin and if I did, it would be a small amount. I have an extremely hard time believing them considering how big I am. It’s not a main concern but it does bother me a little. I’m actually driving myself a little nuts with this 🙄🙄

Every person is different. Your young age is a big advantage for you. Your skin will be more elastic. If you lose more than 100 pounds, you are going to have some loose skin, no doubt. But.... there are ways to cope and your health is a lot more important than outward appearance. I am 63 and I have loose skin, but by golly, I earned every bit of it! I feel quite wrinkly and old looking, especially in my face and neck, but more than a few people have told me I look 10 year younger. Go figure. Maybe I look younger because I FEEL 10 years younger, have more zip, and am much happier and more confident. As you get thinner and feel better, I think others pick up on the positive vibes and don't even notice the wrinkles or looseness! They just see the new you!

loose skin is a very individual thing depending on so many factors. Some people have a lot of it, others don't. It's hard to tell how yours is going to be. Like the above poster said, your age is a big advantage, but you're probably going to have at least some with a 100 lb loss.

For most of us, though, it's pretty easy to hide. I knew mine was there, of course, as did my husband and doctor, but no one else did. Most of mine was in my abdomen, so I just tucked the skin into my jeans or leggings and wore slightly oversized, longish tops to cover it up. Ta da! Gone. I did finally get sick of looking at it, though, and had it removed, but I highly doubt anyone who sees me can tell a difference. Naked - yes - but with clothes on - no.

I just want to add that a majority of pre-ops and early post-ops seem to be really obsessed with loose skin. I've worked with pre-op groups for the past two years and that question comes up EVERY TIME. I would also say that after losing all that weight, many of us (me too!) wonder why we wasted even one brain cell worrying about it. Losing a ton of the excess weight MAJORLY offsets the loose skin thing. I would take my loose skin any day over weighing 300+ lbs again. ANY DAY!!!!

btw - here is a picture of me BEFORE I had plastic surgery. I lost over 200 lbs. See all that loose skin? I don't, either...

prepscrop.JPG

Edited by catwoman7

I really appreciate your perspective. Loose skin does seem to be something a lot of us newbies spend a lot of time thinking about. I have decided to wait at least a year after I reach goal to decide if I want any kind of surgery. That will give my brain time to catch up with my body. It probably just won't matter then. Losing the weight and getting my life back is a much higher priority in the grand scheme of things.

It isn't just us with such a frustrating problem- the actress Cybill Shepherd was quoted as saying after her twin pregnancy she had a time when she folded up her post- pregnancy skin and tucked it into her bottom clothing, Maybe They were styles from Rodeo Drive, but even the famous. have it too!