Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Monkfruit sweetner

Has anyone tried it? on paper it look ideal but it has only recently been approved for use as a sweetener so there is not alot of data on it. I use splenda now and its not ideal, it also doesnt make me vomit and pass a bad after taste like some others.

If you have not tried Monkfruit? what do you use as a sweetener?

I don't care for artificial sweeteners, but recently bought a bag of Monk Fruit at costco. It tastes much better than any other artificial sweetness on the market. I looked for coffee Syrup made with monk fruit and am thinking of buying it and giving it a try. Have only found one syrup with the monk fruit, but they tout a money back guarantee. Has anyone tried it before?

I use Natvia ( stevia) .

I used it off and on for about 6 months. It tastes similar to the other natural sugar free sweeteners.

However I began to have a tingling mouth so I suspected an allergy or sensitivity so i don't use it often anymore

I don't use any sugar or artificial sweeteners, but.... I will use Monkfruit sweetener in something special. for example, I love to make pumpkin custard (pie without the crust) from my own homegrown pumpkins and eggs from my chickens. It is nutritious and high in Protein, but not great tasting without at least a little sweetening. The monkfruit works well for this. We make a lot of prickly pear lemonade in the summer (from our lemon tree and local cactus) and I will sweeten mine with a little monkfruit, if I decide to have it rather than plain ice tea. My brother, who is also gluten free and sugar free, uses monkfruit to make the most amazing GF bread. So it does have its place. I just don't want to create a "sweet tooth" or have any start up sweet cravings by using it too frequently.

yes i use it and have no issues with it in small amounts. For me it has the least weird after taste and it does not cause an Insulin response as some other Artificial sweeteners do.

I use it as well. I am preop and asked my Nutricianist about using Monk Fruit sweetener. You use it just like sugar, it's 0 on the GI just like Stevia, and according to her helps prevent insulin resistance issues. She recommended I replace my Stevia with it. I also asked the Nutricianist from Bariatric Pal Hospital about it's use after surgery and she said it would be fine.

It's a shame as I grow my own Stevia plants and make my own sweetener!