Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for encouraging positive stories

Hi I've just found out I'm finally on waiting list and should be getting sleeved around October time , I am very nervous I've never had surgery before ,also surgeon wanted me to have bypass because I'm type 2 diabetic but I'm hoping I will still get good results with sleeve ? Any one had sleeve long term have you managed to maintain weight loss and keep diebetics at bay ? And then theres the GERD / acid issues please tell me it doesn't happen to everyone ,also what is the average weight losses with sleevers I'm currently about 17 stone size 18 wondering what I would average out at I know it differs slightly but just a rough idea xx p.s I'm UK and UK buddies about. 😃

Edited by Sausageandbeans

Hi from an American Cousin! Things a little different but I do share in your Hopes and Dreams. I was an RNY at 72 years, turned 73 last Boxing Day, count on the Commonwealth to hold My Day special, no one here does! I am now a 18 and going Down, but I started out a w8- 30 Womens, wearing a lot of Mens Sweats because THAT was what I could find to FIT. It is my belief your VSG sleeve will go just fine and you will say like Me THE REST OF MY LIFE WILL BE THE BEST OF MY LIFE and never ever would I go back to my BEFORE! Lost nearly 10 of your stone since last September, a new and wonderful rebirth for ME, Now I am starting to look on the Outside the Wonderful Me I was Within and I can only Wish You the Same! Best Always from ME!

You should do a search here on the boards, SOOOO many great stories of terrific long term success and many Vets still here posting and living the dream. Welcome!

I'm 7 months post-op sleeve and 54 years old. I never had a single problem or complication. I had GERD for many years prior to the surgery and now I don't have it at all. I don't have sleep Apnea anymore. I don't have High Blood Pressure anymore. I've lost a fair amount of weight and have another 6-12 months of losing to do.

1 hour ago, Sausageandbeans said:

Hi I've just found out I'm finally on waiting list and should be getting sleeved around October time , I am very nervous I've never had surgery before ,also surgeon wanted me to have bypass because I'm type 2 diabetic but I'm hoping I will still get good results with sleeve ? Any one had sleeve long term have you managed to maintain weight loss and keep diebetics at bay ? And then theres the GERD / acid issues please tell me it doesn't happen to everyone ,also what is the average weight losses with sleevers I'm currently about 17 stone size 18 wondering what I would average out at I know it differs slightly but just a rough idea xx p.s I'm UK and UK buddies about. 😃

Hi!

Deeply consider your surgeons recommendations especially when it comes to diabetes remission and the facts about the differences between the two surgeries in that aspect. But as always the choice is yours.

Weightloss will be highly unpredictable because it depends on many factors by sleevers average 60-65% of excess body weight loss. But *you* could lose a lot more (or slightly less) !

GERD does not happen to everyone. However make peace with the possibility it could and what that means.

💜Congratulations and Good Luck💜

1 hour ago, Sausageandbeans said:

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. Many good things coming your way.

Expect 60% weight loss with the sleeve. Gerd does not happen to all of us. For many, diabetes is resolved. I'm five years and maintaining. I'm a well-controlled type 1 diabetic

1 hour ago, GradyCat said:

I'm 7 months post-op sleeve and 54 years old. I never had a single problem or complication. I had GERD for many years prior to the surgery and now I don't have it at all. I don't have sleep Apnea anymore. I don't have High Blood Pressure anymore. I've lost a fair amount of weight and have another 6-12 months of losing to do.

GradyCat, you just made my day. I am 54 also and was worrying that I was to old for this!

19 minutes ago, Lynda486 said:

GradyCat, you just made my day. I am 54 also and was worrying that I was to old for this!

Nawww never too old.

12 hours ago, Lynda486 said:

I’m 14 months post surgery. I’ll turn 55 in November. I was 209 lbs at my surgery consultation. I’m 115 lbs today. This surgery/weight loss tool has been everything I needed to help me take control again. I had the determination, the motivation and the required knowledge but my body never seemed to let me “win” at weight loss and kicking my diabetes. I have been off insulin and oral meds since a few weeks before surgery (I chose to start eating a Bariatric plan early to lose ahead of time).

Its been so freeing...so life changing.

If you work the program, you will lose. The rate will vary but the results will be there in the end!

Hi Sausage and beans... I’m also from the UK - London. Had my VSG surgery on 31 October 2018. Have lost 95lbs so far and still learning how to do this. I still don’t trust myself ha ha. I see a head witch and a dietician and wish I was able to meet up with folk in the UK but I was self pay so haven’t been able to find a group to join. BUT! It’s an amazing tool if you follow the principles ... it really does work! Good luck on your journey and PLEASE keep in touch! Message me if you want to have a chat. 😊🤗

21 hours ago, Lynda486 said:

You are never too old to get yourself healthy !! Looks like we are neighbors. Good luck to you

21 hours ago, Lynda486 said:

Just looked at your profile and I see we really are neighbors, I live in Springfield !!! I had my surgery with Mercy and Dr. Edwards. Small world ! You will have to PM me.