Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Found out what happens if you don't eat every few hours

So, not last Saturday, but the one before, I went to Cedar Point Shores, a Water park here in Ohio. Before going into the park, I had a decent amount of Protein for the day, but I stopped eating around noon. Around 3, I noticed that I was starting to get... not hungry, per se, but my body was starting to feel a bit weak and tired. Still, I was having fun, and I made sure to get my Vitamins in. So, I didn't go grab anything from the food stands

By the time we made it to the restaurant around six, I was a bit on the dizzy side. And then they gave me cold chili :|. My hands were shaking, and my body was weak. But when I ate my chili, everything started to feel better.

I think it was technically low blood sugar but specifically from not eating every couple hours.

Yeah, I eat something, no matter how small, every 3 hours.

Yes low blood sugar symptoms are horrible. Tired, weak, shaky. They can come on quite quickly. I have had a number of times when I’ve been out and had to go and grab something from the supermarket because I feel horrible

I have had this happen a few times too. Not fun. Get really shaky and weak and feel like I might pass out. Usually a couple of bites fixes it. It's funny bc pre-op I did occassional 24 hour fasts with no problems and never had this issue.

Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app

How do you know if weakness/ dizziness is due to low blood sugar (i. e. food related) or dehydration (water)?

Hypoglycemia

6 hours ago, rs said:

How do you know if weakness/ dizziness is due to low blood sugar (i. e. food related) or dehydration (water)?

in this case? Because I definitely wasn't dehydrated. I was drinking plenty of Water.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:10 PM, GreenTealael said:

Was it from exhaustion/ dehydration/ low blood sugar? Or is this normal if you don't eat every couple of hours?

Hey girl, can you help explain why our IF group has no issues having long periods of food-free life without having hypoglycemia?

TY!

I have to be pretty careful what I do eat before not-eating for a while/fasting. Anything that spikes my insulin response (that can include too much Protein or something with hidden sugar like carby bread) and I'm guaranteed reactive hypoglycaemia three hours later. I hate it!

But if I'm good, I'm fine. I'm doing 18:6 fasting no probs if I make sensible choices and I'm so attune to hypos I can sense when they are coming pretty early on and then I pop a glucose tablet or take a teaspoon of maple Syrup. I've got it down to a fine art because I HATE hypos (T2 diabetic in remission here).