Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calcium Citrate and Vitamin D3

I've noticed that most calcium citrate supplements come with Vitamin D3 as a part of it. Does this mean that a person taking that doesn't have to take a separate Vitamin D3 pill in addition to the Calcium?

8 minutes ago, Ellf said:

I've noticed that most calcium citrate supplements come with Vitamin D3 as a part of it. Does this mean that a person taking that doesn't have to take a separate Vitamin D3 pill in addition to the Calcium?

according to the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons (attached), most gastric bypass patients should get 3000 IU's of Vitamin D a day (obviously, if your bloodwork is showing deficiencies, you should be taking more than that, though). If the daily total of D3 in your calcium citrate supplements equal at least 3000 IUs, then you may be OK - but I've always taken a separate D3 supplement.

here are the supplement recommendations - you have to scroll down a bit to find how much of each you need:

https://asmbs.org/app/uploads/2008/09/ASMBS-Nutritional-Guidelines-2016-Update.pdf

15 minutes ago, Ellf said:

Calcium and D work together to increase absorption. It depends on how much D is in the supplements and how much you personally need (deficiencies etc) I believe the standard is 2000 units a day (double check)

Check all of your supplements to tally it up then compare to your Vitamins instructions from your Team.

Good Luck💜

Edited by GreenTealael

My surgeon recommended both, so I take both.

This is where I'm getting confused.

I purchased the Celebrate MC R 18 from my Weightloss Center (where I'm getting the surgery) and then I purchased their Celebrate calcium citrate, they said that would be a months supply, but I can't see how that's possible.

I've sent info as my surgery is Wednesday and I want to fully understand everything before I start.

The Vitamin D situation is tricky since absorption falls following bariatric surgery. Also, it absorbs best when taken with at least some fat (150 Calories in most people, but maybe more is needed following bariatric surgery). Many people don't take the Vitamin D with enough fat. I am going to do a short study on a non conventional vitamin D in people who have had bariatric surgery. It may work better post bariatric surgery than the conventional forms (and it may not need simultaneous fat intake). How fast the study begins depends on how fast I can get the supplier of the vitamin D to get me what I need in the right form.

Dr Robert DiSilvestro, Ph.D. Biochemistry, Professor Emeritus Human Nutrition, Ohio State University