Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting weight 200 or less get vsg???

My Bmi is 38.2 202 pounds I'm 5'1 and i was approved for wls. I did the orientation a few days ago and is scheduled to see a surgeon September 5th! Is there anyone 200 pounds are less already had vsg if so how did it go, was it a fast process from orientation to surgery day, what exactly did you have to do, did you have to lose weight pre op just curious on what to expect????

Hi. I just had vsg July 8, 2019. I was alwaus below the 35 bmi and have many health issues. I know some may not like it but I put on a few so I would qualify. So i went to a 36 bmi and my insurance bcbs did away with the 3 month weigh in but my surgeon required it. So my primary dr and surgeons office told me to lose weight or stay the same each month but do NOT go under 35 bmi and do NOT gain. So it was a crazy juggling act. I started at 203 and went to 200 or 201 for last visit. I was literally approved in a day from bcbs. I was 193 on day of surgery. Monday will be week 3 and i am 184. I was taken off my blood pressure meds already.

My surgeons office is pretty well organized and gave me a binder with tons of info. A timeline for all the tests and labs etc.

You will need a psycatrist approval

sleep apena test

Endoscopy

Monthly visits as your insurance requires

A letter from your prinary

Lab work closer to surgery

A chest x-ray

Attend informatiinal session and a group support session

Msra and mssa test they do the nose swab with labwork

Thats all i can think of. I did start the bariatric Vitamins a month or two before to make sure i wasn't anemic etc.

You will need comorbilities with your bmi which i am sure you know to qualify for insurance.

Everyones liquid diet seems to be different before surgery. Mine is strict. He stressed how important itbwas to follow to the T for a better surgery and qjick recovery. Mine was a full 2 weeks of Clear Liquids, Protein Shakes and Tomato Soup only.

Some get 1 meal or so many calories etc. Not mine 😆

I was in hospital overnight and also had a hiatel hernia repaired.

Good luck to you!

Reach out anytime

I was self pay and went to Mexico for mine. Surgery was 6/12/19. I'm 5'3 and was 199. My bmi was 34.9, high BP and cholesterol. A little over a month out and I'm 169. I did a two week pre op diet and a liquid diet for two weeks after. I feel 100% better! I've removed all processed foods, caffeine, soda, all white potatoes, Pasta and sugar from my diet. Good luck!

Following this thread, I've been approved and scheduled for Sleeve on August 16. My stats is EXACTLY like yours Lightnbreezy44 and I pray my rate of loss is like yours!!!
I especially want to hear about the journeys of people with BMI of 35 or less.
I'm 5'3 and 199lbs.

31lbs in a month or so OUT is outstanding!!!!![emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]🤞🤞🤞🤞

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yay!!! Congratulations!! Yes, I was interested as well, since I had heard that I'd probably lose at a slower rate because I my BMI was less. I do think though that cutting out processed food, sugar, white breads and pastas (actually bread in general), soda and caffeine has helped a lot too. I'm not cleared for exercise until the 25th but I walk, and have done some hiking. I'm so excited for you!! This surgery has been the best thing I've ever done for myself, by far!!! I already feel amazing!! Please keep in touch and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have!!!

Edited by Lightnbreezy44

Following this thread as well. I am 5'2" and started my journey at 213. Lost 25 lbs prior to surgery, so weighed right at 185 at surgery. They say that is why I am losing so slowly now. Only 23 lbs in 11 weeks, averaging just under 10 lbs a month. I guess I'll be happy if I stay losing at this rate, but I'm afraid I'm slowing down even more as we go along. What is everyone else's experience so far?

Yay!!! Congratulations!! Yes, I was interested as well, since I had heard that I'd probably lose at a slower rate because I my BMI was less. I do think though that cutting out processed food, sugar, white breads and pastas (actually bread in general), soda and caffeine has helped a lot too. I'm not cleared for exercise until the 25th but I walk, and have done some hiking. I'm so excited for you!! This surgery has been the best thing I've ever done for myself, by far!!! I already feel amazing!! Please keep in touch and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have!!!
Thanks for the encouraging comments and feedback of what worked for you. So appreciated!! I plan to cut out exactly those items!!!!

On 7/22/2019 at 3:45 PM, Cameo325 said:

Following this thread as well. I am 5'2" and started my journey at 213. Lost 25 lbs prior to surgery, so weighed right at 185 at surgery. They say that is why I am losing so slowly now. Only 23 lbs in 11 weeks, averaging just under 10 lbs a month. I guess I'll be happy if I stay losing at this rate, but I'm afraid I'm slowing down even more as we go along. What is everyone else's experience so far?

Folks, don’t worry. I know you want it all gone now...I did , too...but it will happen!

I am 5”6”. I was 209 at my consult. I was approved by my insurance companies and given my checklists (all the boring poke/prod stuff). They scheduled me for 3 months later and I set about doing all the stuff they’d scheduled. All they told me was DON’T GAIN ANY WEIGHT OR YOUR INSURANCE COMPANIES WILL DECLINE SURGERY! Okay. Got it.

So, I got super vigilant and began LOSING weight. I showed up for surgery weighing 180 lbs with a BMI of exactly 30... apparently, the OTHER number where MY INSURANCE COMPANIES WILL DECLINE! Uh, wait...you’ve got to explain this stuff upfront! (However, since I had a complication, my Doctor got it approved on that day and off we went.)

Anyway, this is the long way of saying, I had my surgery at 30 BMI! I kept and continue to keep copious notes on my weight loss. Initially I lost 8-10 pounds per month. Then it slowed to 5-6 pounds. I hit my goal very quickly but then I decided that was my Doctor’s goal. MY goal was 35 pounds lighter. So I kept going.

Now I look back and think how the time flew and what I’ve accomplished. But, in the moment, I thought it was taking forever!

Don’t spend time worrying about how quickly it will happen. It’s different for everyone. Comparison is fruitless. It gets you nowhere and it robs energy you could be using to make sure you get where you want to be!

i wish all of you the very best.

Folks, don’t worry. I know you want it all gone now...I did , too...but it will happen!
I am 5”6”. I was 209 at my consult. I was approved by my insurance companies and given my checklists (all the boring poke/prod stuff). They scheduled me for 3 months later and I set about doing all the stuff they’d scheduled. All they told me was DON’T GAIN ANY WEIGHT OR YOUR INSURANCE COMPANIES WILL DECLINE SURGERY! Okay. Got it.
So, I got super vigilant and began LOSING weight. I showed up for surgery weighing 180 lbs with a BMI of exactly 30... apparently, the OTHER number where MY INSURANCE COMPANIES WILL DECLINE! Uh, wait...you’ve got to explain this stuff upfront! (However, since I had a complication, my Doctor got it approved on that day and off we went.)
Anyway, this is the long way of saying, I had my surgery at 30 BMI! I kept and continue to keep copious notes on my weight loss. Initially I lost 8-10 pounds per month. Then it slowed to 5-6 pounds. I hit my goal very quickly but then I decided that was my Doctor’s goal. MY goal was 35 pounds lighter. So I kept going.
Now I look back and think how the time flew and what I’ve accomplished. But, in the moment, I thought it was taking forever!
Don’t spend time worrying about how quickly it will happen. It’s different for everyone. Comparison is fruitless. It gets you nowhere and it robs energy you could be using to make sure you get where you want to be!
Thank you so much for this!! Very encouraging and helpful![emoji7]

18 hours ago, Screwballski said:

Great you are doing so well and they approved you! I know with my insurance BCBS you had to be a 35 BMI with comorbilities, or a 40 BMI without. Mine was at the time papers were sent for approval. So I was told not to go under the 35 BMI until approved. I was ok to lose weight after that approval was in and before I started the liquid diet. It really depends on the insurance, I would caution anyone starting this to make sure you stay within the BMI approvals and get a copy of the code from your insurance to make sure you don’t stop yourself from getting the surgery. I see posts of being just under and get the surgery canceled. I had my two week follow to my surgery appointment yesterday and he stress for me not to be in a super rush that the weight will come off. To give my body time to adjust to everything that I have a year to get it off.