Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long until you went out to dinner?

So, I’m single. A lot of my social life involves meeting various friends for dinner or another meal. I’m worried that I will be unable to do that for many, many months. How long did you guys wait until you went out to dinner? It’s not even really about the food, it’s about the company. My surgery is August 12.

As soon as I was on solid foods, we went out to restaurants. 4-5 weeks.

A couple months, only because the food I could eat was so weird 😂 I tried to find other things to do with friends that weren’t centered around food; shopping, hiking, coffee, pedicures

I'd say 4-5 weeks for me as well - basically, when I was allowed solid food. I did go out once or twice before that, but it was really hard to find anything that worked for me while I was still in the puree stage. I think I ended up getting Soup (the pureed kind).

once I was allowed solid food, I could order things like shrimp cocktail - which many restaurants have on their appetizer menu (I could only eat 3 or 4 of them - those were the days!!)

btw - I tried moving most of my friends over to coffee rather than lunch or dinner. Easier to stick to my eating plan that way, and most friends were fine with it.

Because my surgery was before Christmas I ended up going out almost immediately - after a week. I usually had something at home before I went and just had water/ tea or a cup of Soup. After 2 weeks I would get a baked sweet potato. Sometimes I would just order something I knew my husband would like and he could he eat it the next day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are right, it wasn't about the food, its about the company.

I probably went to eat with family and/or friends 2 weeks post op (as soon as I was no longer sore at all). I brought a Protein Shake with me and sipped on that.

Actually, now that I think of it, I was going out during my pre-op liquid diet too, and toting along my Protein powders and mixing bottle.

It was weird/annoying at first, with people constantly commenting on me not eating or continually offering me food, but I got conditioned to get less annoyed.

As soon as I was on "normal" food. I sometimes order off the kids menu because the portions are smaller.

About 4-5 weeks, and with people who did NOT know I had surgery [Practically no one knows I did the surgery]. But you won't be able to eat much; so just eat slowly, stick with mostly protein-laden meals (appetizers), chew slowly and do a lot of the talking! Listen to your stomach; it will get full quickly. Take the rest home/doggie bags; leftovers for a few days.

Edited by Dr-Patient
correction

I’m at 6 weeks and we are on vacation...stopped twice to eat yesterday and let me just say it sucked! Only because I couldn’t eat much and I was terrified of getting something then having a stomachache or dumping or something and we were driving 8+ hours so stopping immediately wasn’t a super convenient option. Luckily the eggs and couple of bites of whole wheat toast for Breakfast went fine and the appetizer garlic chicken for lunch caused no issues. Whew! Lol. It’s a learning process and probably the hardest is not ordering something to drink since I can’t have liquids with my meal.

Instead of meeting for food or drinks or coffee, I now invite my friends out for a walk. My birthday is in 2 weeks and I've asked friends to take a beach walk with me instead of going out to a restaurant. Nobody has complained or even questioned it :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

7 hours ago, Wickedwinner said:

Because my surgery was before Christmas I ended up going out almost immediately - after a week. I usually had something at home before I went and just had water/ tea or a cup of Soup. After 2 weeks I would get a baked sweet potato. Sometimes I would just order something I knew my husband would like and he could he eat it the next day.

6 hours ago, ms.sss said:

You are right, it wasn't about the food, its about the company.

I probably went to eat with family and/or friends 2 weeks post op (as soon as I was no longer sore at all). I brought a Protein Shake with me and sipped on that.

Actually, now that I think of it, I was going out during my pre-op liquid diet too, and toting along my Protein powders and mixing bottle.

It was weird/annoying at first, with people constantly commenting on me not eating or continually offering me food, but I got conditioned to get less annoyed.

My experience is similar to these.

My social and professional life revolve around eating and drinking. It was honestly nbd. I just ordered Soup, or something similar at first. Except for the earliest of stages, there is always something on every menu to eat.

5 months post-op

I went out pretty soon after surgery - about 6 weeks or something. It wasn't that great though and I don't really enjoy the food as much as I think I'm going to.

Same....6ish weeks. I hate going out to eat with my family but I don't mind it with friends. Mostly because my friends talk a lot more and with my husband we sort of just sit there LOL