Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 35 years old, 5' 11", #360

I'm 5 months into this journey and cant wait for surgery, hopefully in September. I am curious of those that were big into the gym and went back post op. I enjoy strongman training and hate knowing I'm going to lose strength. But I need the weight gone. What was the wait like? Any tips for getting back into it, when the time comes of course. Any help is appreciated.

I definitely felt weakness in the first month, but got right into a good walking routine. Now with 90+ pounds gone, I feel like super woman. I have soooo much energy. My strength is back full steam and my exercise is soooo much easier. I climb stairs, do weights, and hike. Once some significant weight comes off you will be amazed at what you will be able to do. Now when I lift 40-50 pound bags of livestock feed, I cannot believe I was carrying twice that much on my body. My joints DO NOT HURT ANYMORE! That is also amazing.

My only "tip" is to get walking right away. You can climb stairs but will not be allowed to do abdominal crunches or lift hardly anything for several weeks, at least. Please do not rush this part. A hernia is the last thing you want. The tiny cuts on the outside do not even begin to show all the work done on the inside. You must give yourself time to heal well or the set back will be worse than the original surgery. Please let your doctor know you are into heavy lifting so he/she can advise you with full knowledge of your activity level.

While not a heavy weight lifter, I returned to the gym immediately for cardio like the treadmill and recumbent bicycle, but I waited about 3-4 weeks before resuming any of the strength training weight lifting on the machines to ensure that my incisions had healed.

I definitely felt weakness in the first month, but got right into a good walking routine. Now with 90+ pounds gone, I feel like super woman. I have soooo much energy. My strength is back full steam and my exercise is soooo much easier. I climb stairs, do weights, and hike. Once some significant weight comes off you will be amazed at what you will be able to do. Now when I lift 40-50 pound bags of livestock feed, I cannot believe I was carrying twice that much on my body. My joints DO NOT HURT ANYMORE! That is also amazing.
My only "tip" is to get walking right away. You can climb stairs but will not be allowed to do abdominal crunches or lift hardly anything for several weeks, at least. Please do not rush this part. A hernia is the last thing you want. The tiny cuts on the outside do not even begin to show all the work done on the inside. You must give yourself time to heal well or the set back will be worse than the original surgery. Please let your doctor know you are into heavy lifting so he/she can advise you with full knowledge of your activity level.
Oh I intend to not do anything I'm not released to do. The last thing I need is to hurt myself and spend more time off. Thank you for your response I might add. It gives me a little excitement into what I will feel like having all this excess weight off my body. And awesome job I might add!

While not a heavy weight lifter, I returned to the gym immediately for cardio like the treadmill and recumbent bicycle, but I waited about 3-4 weeks before resuming any of the strength training weight lifting on the machines to ensure that my incisions had healed.
Was 3-4 weeks when your doctor said you could start again? I imagine it will be a couple months before I will be allowed to get back to working where I'm at, it is very heavy weight.

I had to wait 6 weeks for all internal healing to happen before doing any strength exercises. I walked a lot during that time

In 1998 after my "sleeve" surgery I began walking a mile in the morning and a mile in the evening. When given the go ahead to do more I got some Richard Simmons DVD's and did one daily. I dropped 100 pounds in 6 months.

I know to avoid loose skin it is important to do strength training.

Best of luck!

+

Thank you everyone for the replies! I am really excited about this. But also nervous. This forum has helped me alot.

Pre Op
5' 11"
>50 BMI

8 minutes ago, Zjasso said:

Thank you everyone for the replies! I am really excited about this. But also nervous. This forum has helped me alot.

Me, too! There's so much encouragement - just what's needed to calm frayed nerves. I also found YouTube videos a big help. There's lots of positive energy all over! There are also videos of the actual surgery. SQUEAMISH ALERT!!! Don't look if you don't like seeing a person's insides! LOL!

6 hours ago, Zjasso said:
8 hours ago, GradyCat said:

Was 3-4 weeks when your doctor said you could start again? I imagine it will be a couple months before I will be allowed to get back to working where I'm at, it is very heavy weight.

Yes, my doctor said a month to allow the incision to heal. Restriction up until then was 10 pounds.

I want to start going back to the gym after surgery as well. I see a lot of different responses to the timeline of when to start. I think I will talk to my doctor. I bet recommendation vary from doc to doc as well.