Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just starting journey band to bypass

Hi All,

I had my lapband put in in 2007 and was initially very successful. I lost 145 lbs in 2 years and did great for another 3. Unfortunately, I started having issues with my band including horrible heart burn, food getting stuck, etc. I have had fills and unfills over the years but have been largely unfilled for a long time. I finally had to be completely unfilled 2 years ago when I couldn't swallow Water even with the band mostly empty. i've gained all of my weight back through it all.

I finally decided that I think I want to go to bypass and met with the surgeon this week. My Dr wants to remove my band first (he's scheduling in the next month), then while I heal he wants me to lose some weight and hopefully be ready for bypass in 3-4 months.

I would love to connect with some of you who have been through or are going through this. Any advice?

Looking forward to connecting.

Lori

I've seem quite a few band to bypass. Hopefully they will be along to answer any questions you have. In the meantime search lapland to bypass. Good luck to you on your journey!

I went band to bypass in Jan. Have lost all the weight I gained and am now sitting at goal

Thanks Elcee. Have you had any issues with reflux since the conversion? Even fully unfilled I still have issues that I'm hoping will go away once it's removed and won't reappear with the bypass.

Hi. I’m new here, also. We are on the same journey. 😀

I removed my band after five years in 2018.

I went to the surgeon on 7/5/19 thinking I would get vsg but he said he would recommend rny instead due to reflux and my age (55).

I have a BMI of 36 with lots of comorbities except for diabetes (so far).

I just want to be around for kids and right now I’m a heart attack waiting to happen. But then I get scared thinking what if I get a bad complication from rny and I’m not here for my kids...

Are you nervous?

I hope for the best for you!

Hi pssk,

Yes, I'm nervous. This is a big surgery and so many things can go wrong. And even if everything goes right its a major lifestyle change. I'm doing my best to make sure I'm ready mentally and physically (giving up coffee, etc... now).

Do you have a target for your surgery yet? I'm waiting for the schedulers to call for my lap band removal and have at least 3 months after that before I can have my RNY so I'm hoping for around/after Thanksgiving (assuming I can lose the required weight in that time).

~Lori

I am scheduled for October but no definite date yet. It is a 3 month process that I started on 7/5.

Like you, I have stopped coffee already. I’m also introducing Protein Shakes in the morning since I need to start eating Breakfast.< br />
I’m also nervous about the lifestyle change. However, I know feeling better and getting off the meds for my comorbities will all be worth it.

Being slim will be nice, too. However, I’m mainly going through this for the health reasons. Being slim will just be a super nice bonus. 😀

The band removal was so easy last year. I wish I did it 4 years sooner! Puking all the time really sucked.

We got this. 👍

My experience is similar to yours. I had my lap band put in six years ago. Did great for three years then hit a plateau. The photo of me here is at my lowest weight after having lost 98 pounds with my band. I never could get the two pounds I needed for 100 pounds off ...and I wanted to lose around 25 - 20 more. Over time I started gaining weight and having problems with food getting stuck, reflux, etc. Doc took some Fluid out of my band. Still had bloating and abdominal pain. This has been going on for more than six months. After having a barium swallow, 2 endoscopies, a CAT scan, MRI, and colonoscopy we have pretty much determined that there is nothing else wrong so the band is most likely the culprit. I will be having surgery to remove it on Wed, July 31. Hopefully that will end the abdominal pain and I will be able to have revision to another weight loss surgery in a couple of months. I am still down 40 pounds from where I started which means I gained back 58 that I need to lose again and still want to lose that additional 15 - 20 pounds to get to my goal. I wish we could do it all in one surgery but my doc wants to make sure the removal of the band solves the problems I've been having instead of doing additional surgery now only to find that the pain issues are still there. I'm 99% sure the problem is the band so I'm researching other surgical options now while I wait. ****For those of you who have had their bands removed , did you have internal soreness from the surgery or just the soreness from the incisions ? Did you have to follow any special diet while healing from the removal of the lap band ?

Good luck with your band removal. I'm still waiting for the surgery to be scheduled, but the doctor said if I didn't hear by yesterday I should call Monday so I'll do that. I may be just a few weeks behind you in the removal.

In addition to band removal and 3 months of healing, the doctor wants me to lose 30 pounds before my bypass. I understand and am determined to do that but am finding it harder to start than I expected. I'm going to put up a bunch of pictures of me doing things I love to do that I haven't been doing because of my weight (pics are largely from when I lost the weight with the band) and see if that helps motivate me. Anyone have any other tips?

Lori

My experience is similar to yours. I had my lap band put in six years ago. Did great for three years then hit a plateau. The photo of me here is at my lowest weight after having lost 98 pounds with my band. I never could get the two pounds I needed for 100 pounds off ...and I wanted to lose around 25 - 20 more. Over time I started gaining weight and having problems with food getting stuck, reflux, etc. Doc took some Fluid out of my band. Still had bloating and abdominal pain. This has been going on for more than six months. After having a barium swallow, 2 endoscopies, a CAT scan, MRI, and colonoscopy we have pretty much determined that there is nothing else wrong so the band is most likely the culprit. I will be having surgery to remove it on Wed, July 31. Hopefully that will end the abdominal pain and I will be able to have revision to another weight loss surgery in a couple of months. I am still down 40 pounds from where I started which means I gained back 58 that I need to lose again and still want to lose that additional 15 - 20 pounds to get to my goal. I wish we could do it all in one surgery but my doc wants to make sure the removal of the band solves the problems I've been having instead of doing additional surgery now only to find that the pain issues are still there. I'm 99% sure the problem is the band so I'm researching other surgical options now while I wait. ****For those of you who have had their bands removed , did you have internal soreness from the surgery or just the soreness from the incisions ? Did you have to follow any special diet while healing from the removal of the lap band ?
Hello LeeAnn, I had my lapband removed May 3rd and it was the easiest surgery ever. I had it removed on a Friday and I was at work on Sunday without any pain or discomfort. I didn't need any pain pills after discharge from hospital.....I may have used Ibuprofen once on day of discharge. It was a 45 mins procedure from being wheeled into the OR to the recovery room and I was home by 1pm.
I only had to by "nothing by mouth" for 8hrs prior to surgery. No special diet after the removal and I have been happy and free from the band since then!!!

My Sleeve surgery is scheduled for August 16th and I can't wait!! The insurance approval for removal and revision took such a short time that even the surgeon was shocked!
I chose to see the dietitian and psychologist voluntarily while I wait so I can be sure I get help with preparation!
Good luck to us all![emoji169][emoji169][emoji169][emoji169][emoji169]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had issues with the band. Emergency surgery to remove it. One year later revised to bypass. No issues what so ever. Best decision.

Thanks all for sharing. I'm having my band removed on Monday (Aug 26th). My Dr. does the conversation to bypass in 2 separate surgeries to allow the stomach to heal, so hopefully I'll be approved and ready for that around the end of Nov.

Lori

I had it all done in one procedure removal and revision. The more incisional sites you have the more chance of a incisional Hernia. I Loved Loved Loved my band and then it slipped and all I did was throw-up. I have to say this has been great my stomach is still the size of an Egg and so much easier than the band. No more frothing or vomiting and the food does not get stuck. Not to mention appts for the fills. I had 1cc in a 4cc band, so not even full. I would not think twice about the conversion. I will say a lot longer healing process, the progression of food is slow. Its like the first week Lap band post-op when drinking was a full-time job. You honestly after a few sips were so full. Im 3.5 months out and at present I can handle about 40gms of Protein with food and drinks, and about 54oz of Fluid. So it does go slower regarding recovery time. On the most positive I have only vomited once and it was my fault I took a big sip of Protein Drink and gulped it so it came back up. That was nothing compared to vomiting everyday with the band regardless of how much I chewed.

Yep, I’m a band to mini-gastric bypass here. My surgeon did it all in one go but had to leave the pouch bigger than usual because of scarring from the band so probably a good idea to separate the two surgeries out.

All my band problems delightfully disappeared with my conversion. No more reflux, sliming, things getting stuck etc. and I never lost much weight with the band but I'm currently ¾ if the way to my goal having lost about 43 kilos (approx. 100 lbs I think).

Best decision ever