Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FEP Blue Approval Time

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with getting an approval through FEP Blue. I have finished all of the requirements and my surgeons office is going to submit the request and curious as to what the turn around time is for the approval.

Thanks!

I have FEPBLUE. I started this process a year ago. They told me then that I would have to stop smoking but did get not give me a timeline. Then after seeing the psychiatrist they mention they would have to quit smoking for six months which brought me to June. They approve the surgery July 1 and I will go in and August 29

3 working days for me. However no official call or confirmation letter. I called insurance rep after 2 weeks of waiting and learned the good news.

9 hours ago, WeeDee said:

I have FEPBLUE. I started this process a year ago. They told me then that I would have to stop smoking but did get not give me a timeline. Then after seeing the psychiatrist they mention they would have to quit smoking for six months which brought me to June. They approve the surgery July 1 and I will go in and August 29

I don't have the smoking issue to deal with which is nice. But I'm glad you got your approval!

Edited by ahillig

9 hours ago, Bari_KS said:

3 working days for me. However no official call or confirmation letter. I called insurance rep after 2 weeks of waiting and learned the good news.

That's awesome, hopefully mine is that quick!

My turn around time was very quick. It was submitted either Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning, and by Friday (yesterday) I had been approved. Today I got a call from BCBS Federal nurse doing a quick "pre-op" touch basis. She said she will call the hospital and check on my the day of surgery, then call me once more a couple days later. Totally painless process for me! My surgery is in 10 or 11 days (scheduled for 11, but I was told they will probably move me up a day due to a cancellation the day before.

On 8/24/2019 at 3:08 PM, momof3_angels said:

My turn around time was very quick. It was submitted either Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning, and by Friday (yesterday) I had been approved. Today I got a call from BCBS Federal nurse doing a quick "pre-op" touch basis. She said she will call the hospital and check on my the day of surgery, then call me once more a couple days later. Totally painless process for me! My surgery is in 10 or 11 days (scheduled for 11, but I was told they will probably move me up a day due to a cancellation the day before.

Just adding to my above post... I did get an approval letter right after posting here.

Hey all!

I got an answer after a week, my surgeons office called me to let me know then a couple days later I got the letter and I think I got a phone call from the pre-op nurse after my surgeons office called. I had gastric bypass on Aug 28 and just got discharged today.

On 8/24/2019 at 5:08 PM, momof3_angels said:

I have BCBS too. Mine was submitted on Thursday and yesterday on my insurance site it said “Prior Authorization” status approved. Did your say prior authorization? I’m confused if that is an actual approval or not. According to the site the authorization was approved the same day it was submitted. That is why I am hesitant. Of course it’s a holiday so cannot call anyone to check 😊.

On 8/24/2019 at 3:08 PM, momof3_angels said:

I believe that is what mine said. Basically you are pre-approved for surgery. Double check with your doc office though to be sure. Mine also had a date range, the day of my scheduled surgery until one month later. My doc gave me my surgery date BEFORE it was approved, not sure all docs do that.

7 minutes ago, momof3_angels said:

I believe that is what mine said. Basically you are pre-approved for surgery. Double check with your doc office though to be sure. Mine also had a date range, the day of my scheduled surgery until one month later. My doc gave me my surgery date BEFORE it was approved, not sure all docs do that.

7 minutes ago, momof3_angels said:

Mine had a date a year from the date approved on. I have tried to do this before and it was a year of a mess and never did get approved, so I'm just unwilling to believe it could really be happening! Yes the only time I am ready for the work week to start! 😄Thank you for your reply! I am on another community site and could never really get a good answer. So glad I found y’all!

On 7/18/2019 at 2:13 PM, ahillig said:

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with getting an approval through FEP Blue. I have finished all of the requirements and my surgeons office is going to submit the request and curious as to what the turn around time is for the approval.

Thanks!

I am in the same boat. My dr didn’t submit anything until I had finished everything including the nutrition class and psych eval. As I said below I saw that on the same day they submitted for approval I saw that a prior authorization was “approved”, but that was with BCBS. We will see if that is a true approval tomorrow. I will let you know!

I know this thread is older, but I’m waiting on approval from BCBS Fep. My information was submitted to the insurance company for approval on Tuesday. I’m waiting on a decision. I am wondering where on the insurance website you can see the information. I have the app and can also log in online but I can’t seem to figure out where I should be looking. There’s a message center and a Notification Center. Would it be in one of those two places once it’s approved? TIA for any info you may be able to give me!!

1 hour ago, ChiefPWife said:

I know this thread is older, but I’m waiting on approval from BCBS Fep. My information was submitted to the insurance company for approval on Tuesday. I’m waiting on a decision. I am wondering where on the insurance website you can see the information. I have the app and can also log in online but I can’t seem to figure out where I should be looking. There’s a message center and a Notification Center. Would it be in one of those two places once it’s approved? TIA for any info you may be able to give me!!

There was nothing that came through the portal. I got a call from surgeons office that I was approved then got an approval letter about a week later.

I also have BC/BS. I actually called them directly and they informed me my request for sleeve was approved. My dr only submitted about a week or so ago. They said I would get a letter but haven’t yet, nor have I heard from the dr. But I know I’m approved and will have my surgery on 02/28.