Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have Kaiser and I have attended the first class of orientation and I’m scheduled to begin the rigorous 12 week class on Aug 5 and ending Oct 28. I meet the guidelines with my co-morbidities. I honestly cannot wait to get the classes finished. I have seen some posts where people don’t do them and others who have. I understand why we need them, I just am beyond ready for this surgery. I’m in excruciating pain daily and I’m extremely exhausted day in day out. I want it all to end and I don’t know if I can wait out the long timeframe. It seems like Dec would be the surgery timeframe based on my reading. How did y’all do it? How did y’all get through these classes? I know the light at the end of the tunnel is faint right now, I’m just anxious at this point and wish it could be the big day already. I’m beyond ready to get my life back from pain. I understand there’s going to be pain from the surgery, however, it’s temporary. I keep telling myself at this point so is all my other pain... Looking forward to a healthier lifestyle!!

Welcome! The time will go by and you'll be all ready to go! Most people have to do 6 months of a supervised diet so you're actually better off. But we all get through it together. You'll be fine!

I didn't have to do the classes, but I do understand the importance of them and making surgery candidates aware that it's a lifetime commitment to change for success

GradyCat- Can I ask why you didn’t have to attend the classes? Do you have any serious condition that they’re speeding up the process? I just found out I have a stress fracture in my left foot from my weight.

I didn’t have any classes, it wasn’t required by my insurance. Wait- I guess one nutrition class? It was like an hour at the doctors office. My first appt was March 8. My survey was May 23rd - and I could have been in 2 weeks earlier if it had worked for my schedule.

No classes here no diet monitoring just bloods and medical history check and weight check all done in 1 visit.

next visit next week see surgeon then dietitian before surgery end of sep.

As stated before doctor understands surgery is a last resort for most people who have already spent years dieting without success and I've done my own research online the last 12 months anyway..

Do y’all have Kaiser for your insurance provider? Or do y’all have a PPO plan?

I have Kaiser and only 4 classes left. It will go by quickly and it's a good source of support for those of us who have this insurance. It's what this region of Kaiser requires and I'm learning so much from the bariatric team.... I look forward to the class honestly and the group I'm with shows us the different faces of weight issues. We all have our own journeys that brought us to this point, but it's encouraging to be able to know I'm not the only one...You've got this, mind over matter.

Hi!
I have Kaiser too. I’m 3 weeks into the 12 week Weigh Loss class. I’m admittedly not learning much of anything new currently but it helps to keep me doing weekly goals. What I’m really looking forward to is the gastric bypass specific class. I get to schedule that in a few weeks. I have so many questions!

In the meantime, I’ve been changing my eating habits and exercises four or five days a week. It’s helping get my habits set.

Welcome to the forums! I’ve found great information and support here. I hope you do too.

Krimsonbutterflies and Jonah have y’all learned yet who’s doing your surgery? Which kaiser location are y’all at?

Jaymee, I'm at West LA Kaiser. I have not selected a surgeon yet, it is about time for me to make a decision. I only have 3 classes left, however; my surgery is probably going to be either in October or early January. I have a few health issues that are being addressed.

I have Kaiser (WA) and am not covered for any WLS, so congratulations on being covered! I think the educational programs are a wonderful idea. I think that the knowledge is a great idea. The 12 weeks will pass by quickly and before you know it you will be being rolled in for your procedure.

I found out, before scheduling my wls (self pay), that even if I used Kaisers wls program and surgeons, due to my contract, they would still not cover any subsequent doctors visits for anything remotely relating to my wls. Yep, full pay all the way! They will however pay for me to see a Nutritionist as long as we don't mention wls in any appt. Silly right?

I scheduled my wls surgery for 10/1/19 back at the end of March. I'm now 68 days away from my date. This time has flown by! so, if 6 months has been a short period of time, think of how fast 3 months will go by!

Hang in there!

Krimsonbutterflies... I’m sorry you have to wait. I’m sure it is for the best though. So you can pick your surgeon? They didn’t just assign you one? That’s pretty cool! I wonder if I’ll get to do that too! 😃

Ypease... wow you’re coverage doesn’t provide anything? I’m sorry to hear that! I agree I think my 3 months will be faster than 6.

Yep. They won’t pay for wls or any program for weight loss. They will pay for a Nutritionist (as long as you don’t ever mention wls) and a slew of meds and other procedures due to obesity! Go figure.