Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tiny Desk Rank™

I went window shopping for a new coat in Nordstrom Rack last night and tried on 4 sizes of the same Lauren by Ralph Lauren Tweed coat

The sizes were 0, 2, 4 & 6. 0 -2 were *slightly* too small with no detectable difference between the sizes. I couldn't button them comfortably but I did have an athletic sweater under

Size 4 & 6 were slightly too snug at the button (4 - but I had an athletic sweater on still) or slightly too loose in the back dart (6)

The 4 could have been the 0 or 2, the 6 could have been an 8 or 10 in the end. This isn't a cheaply made inexpensive low end brand. They have old pattern blocks/block makers. What is going on?

I wish I took pics to prove this exercise in futility but the store was so filled with people I could barely get a mirror to myself

Side rant: I was quite upset to fit into anything marked size 0, it feels misleading. Also my home "Mirror Mirror" does wonder for my confidence but public mirrors ... Meh. I looked thin and flat all over in the wrong places. I think its the monolithic floor to ceiling size that dwarfs my ego 😔

Edited by GreenTealael

Wow!!! Everyone looks amazing!! I 🧡 this thread!!! @Angiebear message about dysmorphia and posting! I'll suck up the courage soon as it was a " food for thought" messaging.
Thanks guys for a very lively and motivating thread!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

4 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Tiny Desk Rank™

Ok I gotta ask...?

I Googled this and came up nada...

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

Ok I gotta ask...?

I Googled this and came up nada...

LOL I just made it up 😝

Like rank clothing, brands,lines, stores lol

(An homage to NPRs Tiny Desk Concerts)

Edited by GreenTealael

I LOVE the Tiny Desk Concerts! Happy with my new wind breaker. Sad we lost to Ohio State Saturday. Perhaps, we may still make it to a bowl game - All Things Considered... NPR rocks. ;]

IMG_0389.jpeg

IMG_0399.jpeg

Good morning ladies. I’m ready for my one day of work this week. You can’t see my shirt in this OOTD, but it’s special. My baby girls last day as a 10 year old. I hope you all have a great day.

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

On 11/24/2019 at 06:58, GreenTealael said:

Tiny Desk Rank™

I went window shopping for a new coat in Nordstrom Rack last night and tried on 4 sizes of the same Lauren by Ralph Lauren Tweed coat

The sizes were 0, 2, 4 & 6. 0 -2 were *slightly* too small with no detectable difference between the sizes. I couldn't button them comfortably but I did have an athletic sweater under

Size 4 & 6 were slightly too snug at the button (4 - but I had an athletic sweater on still) or slightly too loose in the back dart (6)

The 4 could have been the 0 or 2, the 6 could have been an 8 or 10 in the end. This isn't a cheaply made inexpensive low end brand. They have old pattern blocks/block makers. What is going on?

I wish I took pics to prove this exercise in futility but the store was so filled with people I could barely get a mirror to myself

Side rant: I was quite upset to fit into anything marked size 0, it feels misleading. Also my home "Mirror Mirror" does wonder for my confidence but public mirrors ... Meh. I looked thin and flat all over in the wrong places. I think its the monolithic floor to ceiling size that dwarfs my ego 😔

Okay so I’ve heard that the “brands” that make it to the outlet stores aren’t the same as the same brands available for the higher price. There apparently is a reason for them to be there for a cheaper price and the stuff in outlets are the irregular fit kind of stuff so your complaints are completely valid and there’s some hard evidence to it.

I’m grateful for this experience in that I’ve discovered a love for high-quality consignment.
I’ve never felt like spending any more than necessary to clothe myself appropriately and now I’m discovering new favorite styles and brands (even if I’m still very conservative in my style at the end of the day)
Yeah, many of the things I’m getting are 1-2 seasons “outdated” but what I do find now is high quality and really much better fitting clothing.
Lol, at least better fitting in context: once my body stops changing every 2-3 weeks the clothes will be even MORE fabulous for my body 🤣🤣🤣

On 11/24/2019 at 23:51, Sophie7713 said:

I LOVE the Tiny Desk Concerts! Happy with my new wind breaker. Sad we lost to Ohio State Saturday. Perhaps, we may still make it to a bowl game - All Things Considered... NPR rocks. ;]

IMG_0389.jpeg

IMG_0399.jpeg

As an OU fan......
I can completely feel your pain, lol!

Looking FABULOUS though in your team colors.

5 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

Okay so I’ve heard that the “brands” that make it to the outlet stores aren’t the same as the same brands available for the higher price. There apparently is a reason for them to be there for a cheaper price and the stuff in outlets are the irregular fit kind of stuff so your complaints are completely valid and there’s some hard evidence to it.

I’m grateful for this experience in that I’ve discovered a love for high-quality consignment.
I’ve never felt like spending any more than necessary to clothe myself appropriately and now I’m discovering new favorite styles and brands (even if I’m still very conservative in my style at the end of the day)
Yeah, many of the things I’m getting are 1-2 seasons “outdated” but what I do find now is high quality and really much better fitting clothing.
Lol, at least better fitting in context: once my body stops changing every 2-3 weeks the clothes will be even MORE fabulous for my body 🤣🤣🤣

This coat was $249 😒 and not irregular in quality by any means, very chic & well made (I looked) just the sizing is off ... Like everywhere in the fashion world

I guess Nordstrom Rack is an outlet IDK but for that price for a tweed coat I feel like I deserve some level of consistency

I've considered consignment but quality coats usually are hard to find- which sites/stores are you shopping? 😩

Edited by GreenTealael

16 hours ago, Sophie7713 said:

IMG_0389.jpeg

IMG_0399.jpeg

Looking Fit! And I'm jealous all you need is a wind breaker 😔😂

I had an epiphany today when I was taking the pics above.

The person in that mirror is pretty much exactly the person I aspired to be. It struck me that I am literally living my best life right now. And while things are never going to be perfect (see my arms in the pic above for example), things right now are d@mn good. I always knew that WLS would be a positive in my life. But I'm not sure how or why, but it finally feels like all the pieces have finally fallen into place for me.

I'd like to thank all the participants on this thread. The support and positive feedback from and for everyone is AMAZING. It feels so rare to find such genuine encouragement now days. You all have played a role in me gaining confidence that I never even fully realized I was lacking. THANK YOU!

On 11/25/2019 at 16:15, GreenTealael said:

This coat was $249 😒 and not irregular in quality by any means, very chic & well made (I looked) just the sizing is off ... Like everywhere in the fashion world

I guess Nordstrom Rack is an outlet IDK but for that price for a tweed coat I feel like I deserve some level of consistency

I've considered consignment but quality coats usually are hard to find- which sites/stores are you shopping? 😩

Okay so literally 90% of my wardrobe is from clothes mentor (the higher-end consignment store) or through eBay.
What I’ve been doing is going to places where I never thought I’d be able to buy clothes (black and white, Ann Taylor, Talbots, Chico’s, etc...) and try on their clothes to get an idea of the sizing, then start searching to see if anybody has it for sale.

I love the clothes mentor philosophy: they simply will not accept anything that is >2 years old and shows any wear and tear.

4 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

Okay so literally 90% of my wardrobe is from clothes mentor (the higher-end consignment store) or through eBay.
What I’ve been doing is going to places where I never thought I’d be able to buy clothes (black and white, Ann Taylor, Talbots, Chico’s, etc...) and try on their clothes to get an idea of the sizing, then start searching to see if anybody has it for sale.

I love the clothes mentor philosophy: they simply will not accept anything that is >2 years old and shows any wear and tear.

Oh nuts & awww man. I have literally never found anything i liked there. I have sold a few of my plus size things there (but then started to just donate)

I think my tastes are too specific. I have consider poshmark for a minute but again i hate shopping online

I think I know what I need to do...

3 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

3 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Well... look at it this way, the big trade off is you can wear all those fabulous, fashionable coats, mittens, scarves and really cool boots! And, make snow angels. Personally, boots here in south Florida look a bit like an overkill except for my equestrian riding boots. You'd laugh to see how pathetic I've become with the slightest hint of cold weather (and, this from an original central PA girl)! Trips up to Atlanta and south Georgia warrant full fledge Canadian attire. You and ms.sss would crack up at Miss. wimpy here. Oh, by the way, did you ever listen to Car Talk? Beyond hilarious - especially when Click and Clack brothers would dispense fashion, dating and marriage advice.