Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What complications have you lot had

Your surgeon should have given you info that gives percentages of complications. Generally they are pretty low.

Most of us have had very few, if any complications. Stay the course. Do your research on your doctor's experience and on the hospital where you will have surgery. If you feel confident in them, then proceed. If not, then find a new doc/team/hospital. This surgery has about the same complication risk of gall bladder surgery. Most are done minimally invasive so it further reduces risk.

Seriously the easiest surgery I've ever had. I've no regrets and feel fantastic at 17 months out. I'm 4lbs from my Goal #3 of 130lbs and love my new life. My only TRUE regret is not doing this sooner. I wasted so much of my life being sick, MO, and exhausted/pain.

Hang in there! Remember to breathe.

complications are not common. They may seem to that way because people who have them sometimes "talk" about them on the internet - they're looking for advice or support. On the other hand, people without complications don't broadcast that fact ("hey all - I'm three years out and have had NO complications!"). So you - and others -- are probably getting a skewed perception of how common they are. They really aren't.

that said - I had two strictures - one at four weeks out and one at eight weeks out. Strictures are probably the most common RNY complication - and they happen to about 5% of patients (so..not very common). They're also minor and a very easy fix.

Just keep on top of your supplements and follow your plan, and your risk will be pretty low.

I didn't have a single complication.

I had three complications - a marginal ulcer formed one week out and I was on medicine for 12 weeks to heal it. Then my gallbladder went to hell 2 months out and they also found a hernia while they were in there. It happens. It's generally not a big deal and all 3 of the issues were resolved with time. Nothing that couldn't be fixed. Just be aware of how you feel and speak up if anything feels off. Definitely wouldn't change my mind had I known I would have gotten those complications.

Edited by mousecat88

3 hours ago, ace090 said:

I'm freaking myself out of surgery by reading up on complications.

How rare are they?

Sent from my SM-N960F using BariatricPal mobile app

All good responses above.

I had the same reaction after visiting some bariatric forums. It’s normal to worry and stress over surgery procedures. There are risks with ANY type of surgery. Talk to your surgeon about the statistics for complications.

Know that your team will take good care of you. Your pain will be managed with medication.

I’m five years out. No complications.

Two weeks out and no complications for me. Amongst the other patients there at the same time, the only "complication" was a woman who already knew she didn't handle general anesthesia well. Oh wait, on one lady they found and fixed a hiaital hernia while in there, not sure if that counts as a complication though.

I got sick once on the chewable multi Vitamin A few weeks out from surgery. Switched to a different Vitamin and no other issues related to the sleeve other than being a heck of a lot healthier and looking good!

HW = 360
SW = 292
GW = 220 reached 3/7/18
CW = 210 @ 6'5"
150 pounds lost! [emoji106]

20 minutes ago, BeJimmietum said:

Good going Michelle You should have had the foresight to know this was going to happen and brought the proper parts. Way to mess up Michelles mothers day.

Have you posted this in the wrong place?

On 7/17/2019 at 6:29 AM, ace090 said:

I'm freaking myself out of surgery by reading up on complications.

Life is full of "complications", surgery related or not. After trying to avoid WLS for several years for similar reasons I decided the complications I would face later in life if I continued down the current path are more life threatening than any complications for a WLS procedure.

https://vin1959.blogspot.com/

None, seven months out and feel better than ever. I think I have only gotten sick to my stomach like 3 times in seven months where I ate something and it just wasn't going to settle. I don't seem to have any problems foods but I stick to the lists provided by my nutritionist so I haven't really pushed the envelope.

8.5 months out from pre-op & 6.5 months out from surgery not 1 complication at all just have to avoid sugar it will make you feel unwell...

I am about 11 weeks out had have had a weird complication so about a week and a half ago I got to where I couldn't pee anymore. I went to the Er with acute urinary retention they said it wasn't because of the surgery and put a cathater in I wore for a week. It was removed last thursday. They asked if I had been constipatied and I was like not really but acutally I really was very constipated. I am one that has never really felt it for some reason. I have started drinking milk of magnesia and its getting easier but still having issues getting it started. The urologist says wearing the cath a week probably weakend my muscles so I am trying to make sure I drink at least 64 oz of Water a day, before I was lucky if I was getting in just over 40.