Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with the idea of surgery

This last week I've been struggling with the idea to go through with the surgery, thinking if I shouldn't go through with it and try push myself harder to just diet and go gym.

I want to lose the weight but I don't want to end up looking skinny fat and not be able to consume enough Proteins a day to gain any real muscle mass.

My only problem is I can't seem to go gym long enough to make as difference. Always battling myself mentally

Sent from my SM-N960F using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the same doubts! But i went through with sleeve and so glad i did! Im 3 months post op and 3 stone lighter and feel so much better and happier. Its not easy and have had the odd day when ive thought why!? But best thing i ever did! Good luck with whatever you deside

I had these same doubts. It's natural to be wary. ((hugs))

From day 1 I've had no problems meeting my individual Protein goals. I can eat anything I feel like eating. Anything...including dry, dense, Proteins. YMMV. We are all different.

But a couple of things:

1. The challenge for most of us isn't in what we CAN'T eat or enjoy any longer. The challenge is actually to make healthy choices over our old food loves/addictions.

2. Because I've really focused on rebuilding the types of food I eat, I now have a new gut biome and my cravings are quite different now. I now actively CRAVE healthy food and prefer eating fish (salmon, cod, and white fish, shrimp) and chicken breast and ground turkey over beef. I could have never predicted that since I used to adore beef! Go figure. :)

You will find that as you are successful losing weight that your priorities and focus might change. :)

I told myself that for years (that I can do it on my own with diet and exercise). Every time, I'd lose 40-50-60 lbs just to gain it back - and start the cycle over again. This went on for decades. I finally realized that no, I couldn't do it on my own. I'd tried and tried and it just didn't work. So I finally went through with the surgery. I've lost over 200 lbs and have been maintaining ever since. No way could I have done this on my own. I'd have this surgery again in a heartbeat!

Oh bloody hell. This is the guys' room!

DERP!

My apologies to every dude on the planet for busting in and adding my unnecessary opinion! Carry on--am bowing out now! :blush: (Calling Dr. Bombay @johnny cakes to come kick my ass for breaking into the club house!)

Most of us will say we only wish that we had done this surgery sooner. A year ago at this time I could not have imagined doing this. It had a nasty stigma attached to it and a feeling of failure. I met with a regular dietician at the same time as my bariatric consultation. I knew I needed help as I never felt satisfied. I am only 2.5 months out but the restriction you get is really everything it is advertised to be. I had major problems with Portion Control but now I get that physical reminder and there is just no need to keep going after that.

I wish I did this sooner I just didnt want to admit that I needed help. This community has been very helpful during my journey.

On 7/17/2019 at 5:45 AM, Brent701 said:

Most of us will say we only wish that we had done this surgery sooner. A year ago at this time I could not have imagined doing this. It had a nasty stigma attached to it and a feeling of failure. I met with a regular dietician at the same time as my bariatric consultation. I knew I needed help as I never felt satisfied. I am only 2.5 months out but the restriction you get is really everything it is advertised to be. I had major problems with Portion Control but now I get that physical reminder and there is just no need to keep going after that.

I wish I did this sooner I just didnt want to admit that I needed help. This community has been very helpful during my journey.

GREAT STATEMENT AND WE ALL SHOULD REMEMBER THE HEAD AND BRAIN CONTROL THAT NEEDS ATTENTION AS WELL AT LEAST IN MY CASE WITH OUT THE COUNSELING I DONT KNOW IF I WOULD HAVE THE SAME OUT COME food IS FUEL AND THAT IS IT FOR ME AT THIS POINT

I had been Struggling at over 300 Pounds since I quit smoking back in 2008. When I quit I was @ 275 and ballooned to over 300 in months. I looked at bariatric Surgery in 2010 and actually took my insurance required classes and decided not to because of the restrictions of certain foods and told myself I could drop from the 315 i weighed at that time. In 2016 I had got to my heaviest at 366 pounds. 2017 was the year I said i was making changes and dropped to 333 I also started looking at bariatric surgery to help me, then i started taking the weight loss surgery classes again from Kaiser. After the 12 weeks of classes I had dropped to 310, and by March 2018 I was 306 on surgery day.

Now I do say why didn't I do it sooner, we all end up saying that after, but I do recognize that mentally I was not ready 9 years ago.

I did meet one guy who decided not to have surgery and has lost 60lbs on his own, to date and I commend him on his hard work and changes. I know that the surgery was the tool to help me make the correct choices to keep myself at a healthy weight.

Good luck with your decision. 👍

46 minutes ago, nenes78 said:

I had been Struggling at over 300 Pounds since I quit smoking back in 2008. When I quit I was @ 275 and ballooned to over 300 in months. I looked at bariatric Surgery in 2010 and actually took my insurance required classes and decided not to because of the restrictions of certain foods and told myself I could drop from the 315 i weighed at that time. In 2016 I had got to my heaviest at 366 pounds. 2017 was the year I said i was making changes and dropped to 333 I also started looking at bariatric surgery to help me, then i started taking the weight loss surgery classes again from Kaiser. After the 12 weeks of classes I had dropped to 310, and by March 2018 I was 306 on surgery day.

Now I do say why didn't I do it sooner, we all end up saying that after, but I do recognize that mentally I was not ready 9 years ago.

I did meet one guy who decided not to have surgery and has lost 60lbs on his own, to date and I commend him on his hard work and changes. I know that the surgery was the tool to help me make the correct choices to keep myself at a healthy weight.

Good luck with your decision. 👍

THIS IS ALMOST THE EXACT STORY I HAVE AS WELL WOW SO CLOSE TO THE SAME JOURNEY AND TIMING

I went through the Kaiser classes 3 times, first time over 13 years ago, lost 80 lbs during the class, which was 6 months then, and decided against the surgery. The second time lost a lot of weight and chickened out because of my relationship with food. Finally had the surgery this April and went from 332 to 205 and still going down. My life has not been this good in decades. And the worry of my relationship with was for nothing, I very happy with the food I eat and down have cravings. Science proves that we can't do this on our own and keep it off.

On 7/17/2019 at 4:25 AM, ace090 said:

This last week I've been struggling with the idea to go through with the surgery, thinking if I shouldn't go through with it and try push myself harder to just diet and go gym.

I want to lose the weight but I don't want to end up looking skinny fat and not be able to consume enough Proteins a day to gain any real muscle mass.

My only problem is I can't seem to go gym long enough to make as difference. Always battling myself mentally

Sent from my SM-N960F using BariatricPal mobile app

this is a real struggle (for me it was ) i always bulked up to play football and then dropped weight to wrestle high school and college no problems then in life i thought i could just do the same thing never had the time or the same drive as i once did i did every diet known to man and pills and Proteins fat burners and still got bigger and bigger at some point i quit trying it is what it is was my feelings with depression that goes with being obese laugh it off really we are hurting and need to put yourself first and do what is best for your health and well being surgery was one of the best things that have happened for me and my well being it has changed me a lot and for the better its not always easy nope its not its really hard to change the outward look of yourself and work on the head and thoughts as much as i have had to i wish you the best in your decision anything i can help with i will just ask and yes if you wanna just chat i will gladly be here for you !!!!!!