Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The deal on coffee post op

So I am hearing varying things from my different providers about coffee post sleeve. The nutritionist says not until 3 months, the surgeon said 1 cup, my pcp said never. What are people doing? I am eyeing coffee flavored Protein Drinks for Breakfast, but don't want to jump the gun.

Started with Decaf about a month out, then 1 cup of reg at about 3 months out, now I drink 2 cups per day

surgeons are all across the board on this. Some say never, some say right away is OK, some say to wait 3 months - or 6 months. Some say OK if limited to 1-2 cups a day. My take on this is that it isn't the worst thing you could do. The acid and caffeine can be hard on healing stomachs, though, so if that's the case with you - hold off on it for awhile. Some say it's dehydrating (but then if you drink enough Water to offset that, then you're good). I know I'm not helping much, but it's kind of hard to when there seems to be no consensus on this among the professionals.

I had coffee the morning after surgery.

My surgeon said day after was fine - actually encouraged I have some to avoid caffeine withdrawal. I had prepped for surgery but cutting back to mostly Decaf and then I eased back into coffee with decaf and trying to keep the caffeine to 1 cup a day. I'm 50 days post op now and honestly I drink all the coffee I want. I have a personal goal of trying to get to 64 oz a day of just water/tea. I don't count coffee or Protein drinks towards that 64oz, so it helps me switch from coffee to Water. But also, some days I have probably... 12 oz of hot coffee & another 16oz of iced coffee before I get to the water.

Mine was one of those that said never.. something about how the caffeine affects the blood sugar. I ended up having coffee like 2 or so weeks out. now have maybe 3 cups a day.

My program allows Decaf coffee and tea during the full liquid phase, but no caffeine until three months post op.

On 7/16/2019 at 6:49 PM, arrivan said:

So I am hearing varying things from my different providers about coffee post sleeve. The nutritionist says not until 3 months, the surgeon said 1 cup, my pcp said never. What are people doing? I am eyeing coffee flavored Protein Drinks for Breakfast, but don't want to jump the gun.

I would go with what your surgeon told you for your specific case. You probably did all kinds of pre-op testing and he/she knows what is best for you. My surgeon says 6 months btw.

My nutritionist said that starting 2nd week I can drink a lil bit of coffe with lots of skimmed milk

My surgeon said that Decaf is fine but that I should cut out caffeine altogether forever.

Among the many factors that contributed to my and many others obesity was issues related to not getting enough sleep. Sleep is life, sleep is healing and sleep keeps your metabolism in check. Caffeine ruins your body's natural internal clock for getting enough sleep which throws everything else out of whack.

Yes caffeine is bad for healing stomachs as well, but its much worse for you overall. It is a drug, after all, not to get preachy, but I got rid of caffeine 2 months prior to surgery and I don't miss it anymore. In fact, I look forward to having decaf coffee in the morning now, it took a little while, but it's like I'm not missing anything now that I'm 4 months post op.