Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s the skinny on regain with SIPS?

Have any of you long time SIPS patients had trouble maintaining? My surgeon says I will still need to be careful and vigilant over what I eat. Others in the practice (nutritionist and psych) say it’s impossible to regain bc your body won’t allow it.

Trust your surgeon. Don't test the theory. Follow his/her rules to the letter and be compliant!!!! In ALL areas. Mostly. Do the headwork. Anyone at anytime, can freely choose to eat around their surgery and regain the weight--regardless of surgery type.

Edited by FluffyChix

1 hour ago, onmyway11 said:

Have any of you long time SIPS patients had trouble maintaining? My surgeon says I will still need to be careful and vigilant over what I eat. Others in the practice (nutritionist and psych) say it’s impossible to regain bc your body won’t allow it.

It’s always possible to regain if you drink your calories and refuse to follow a healthy eating program regardless of which surgery is chosen.

I probably don't count as 'long term'....I'm at 18 months.... but I eat pretty shitty and haven't regained.

I'm two years post-up from the traditional DS and have gained 5 pounds, but i was just diagnosed with a low thyroid. I'm not a perfect either, same as Disco Stu, and without a doubt I would be much heavier if it wasn't for my surgery. I still malabsorb and can't eat as much as I used to. I'm working on losing the 5 pounds I've gained. Hopefully with my thyroid medication it will help the process. I still feel my surgery was a success.

I just hit 2 years, I’ve regained almost 20lbs. I attribute it to stress (new job, 6mo, bad boss etc and a few injuries that hindered my excercise — I literally fell in a “man”hole and injured my knee then broke my big toe) I swear to myself I will get back on track... but I’m fighting ever day injuries aside.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:06 PM, SIPS in Seattle said:

I just hit 2 years, I’ve regained almost 20lbs. I attribute it to stress (new job, 6mo, bad boss etc and a few injuries that hindered my excercise — I literally fell in a “man”hole and injured my knee then broke my big toe) I swear to myself I will get back on track... but I’m fighting ever day injuries aside.

That sucks. Good luck.

Is the malabsorption apsect of SIPS still working? ie. are you still in the restroom all the time? oil slicks? etc...?

I think I've gained a bit too in the last few weeks, but that's mostly Coors Light. hahaha

Still, 212 has got to feel a lot better than 290, no?

Edited by disco stu