Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you guys feel normal? Long Term Sleevers

This question may sound a bit weird but, it's more targeted towards people who have had sleeve for around 5+ years now: Do you guys feel like you have a "physically" normal life, day, feeling? I mean a day like it was before you had the sleeve. My main concern is that I will feel like I will need to remind myself that I have the sleeve every single day for the rest of my life. Not that I want to forget about it, or it's precautions/healthy habits, but just that I feel normal and fine, but just eat less than I used to. Does anyone feel like their normal self like they did before surgery? Or is everyday another little issue that goes on with GERD, Dumping, vomiting etc.

Any answers would help.

2 minutes ago, AchieveGoals said:

This question may sound a bit weird but, it's more targeted towards people who have had sleeve for around 5+ years now: Do you guys feel like you have a "physically" normal life, day, feeling? I mean a day like it was before you had the sleeve. My main concern is that I will feel like I will need to remind myself that I have the sleeve every single day for the rest of my life. Not that I want to forget about it, or it's precautions/healthy habits, but just that I feel normal and fine, but just eat less than I used to. Does anyone feel like their normal self like they did before surgery? Or is everyday another little issue that goes on with GERD, Dumping, vomiting etc.

Any answers would help.

I know you asked for longtime sleevers but I am 7 months out and don't really feel any different except that I am conscious of not being able to eat like I used to. I have so much more energy and feel fabulous mentally and physically.

I'm 9 months out. I have never had GERD and I *may* have had dumping once, not sure? I haven't thrown up in months. Tonight, I ate a little too much, got a tummy ache, reminded myself not to eat that much, and went and lay down for a bit. I feel fine now.

Mostly, I feel much better! Less lower back pain, much more energy, wearing smaller clothes, fitting in sports and airplane seats, etc.

4 minutes ago, JessLess said:

I'm 9 months out. I have never had GERD and I *may* have had dumping once, not sure? I haven't thrown up in months. Tonight, I ate a little too much, got a tummy ache, reminded myself not to eat that much, and went and lay down for a bit. I feel fine now.

Mostly, I feel much better! Less lower back pain, much more energy, wearing smaller clothes, fitting in sports and airplane seats, etc.

Where can I see more comments like this? That is such great news, thanks for being real..

I'm 8 months out, life goes on as usual except i am happier, more active, with more energy. My self esteem improved, I'll wearing nice clothes. No dumping, GERD if vomiting. I can eat any food but i choose not to eat rice, bread and other unhealthy carbs.

1 hour ago, AchieveGoals said:

Any answers would help.

Everyone handles maintenance differently. We each have our own weight gain risk factors. Its important to know yourself. Will you need to remind yourself you had surgery? Is it healthy habits? Precautions? Simply eating less? Do whatever works for you to maintain and not go back to obesity.

Five years out, I never want to feel like my normal “obese” self before surgery. I feel better than normal after weight loss and maintaining in the 130's. I have no issues. I bounced back with minimal pain and I have no complications (Gerd, dumping or vomiting etc.)

Personally, I don’t need to remind myself. I have a healthy lifestyle. Maintaining has become habit/mundane. I don’t put much thought into it. I eat mainly healthy and indulge within reason. I give myself a ten-pound bounce range. If I gain, I go back to weight loss mode and work it off.

3 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Everyone handles maintenance differently. We each have our own weight gain risk factors. Its important to know yourself. Will you need to remind yourself you had surgery? Is it healthy habits? Precautions? Simply eating less? Do whatever works for you to maintain and not go back to obesity.

I never want to feel like my normal “obese” self before surgery. I feel better than normal after weight loss and maintaining in the 130's. Five years out, I have no issues. I bounced back with minimal pain and I have no complications (Gerd, dumping or vomiting etc.)

Personally, I don’t need to remind myself. I have a healthy lifestyle. Maintaining has become habit/mundane. I don’t put much thought into it. I eat mainly healthy and indulge within reason. I give myself a ten-pound bounce range. If I gain, I go back to weight loss mode and work it off.

That is so amazing to hear! I bet you are happy with yourself. Have you ever had issues with GERD? Do you remember having them at the beginning and then they went away?

Just now, AchieveGoals said:

That is so amazing to hear! I bet you are happy with yourself. Have you ever had issues with GERD? Do you remember having them at the beginning and then they went away?

I didnt have GERD pre surgery. I still dont have GERD five years out.

4 minutes ago, AchieveGoals said:

You had surgery in 2016? How are things going?

I'm 17 months out, and I feel way better than normal. I had clearly forgotten what it felt like to be a healthy weight, and I definitely didn't appreciate it back in my 20's. I seriously feel joyful so much of the time.

I can feel mildly nauseous, if I eat too much too fast, but it passes quickly. I have had a few quite mild dumping-esque incidents, unusual for a sleever, but nearly all liquid sugar related (no more vietnamese coffee for me :( ) I have vomited twice since surgery, both times from Vitamins on an empty stomach. I've always been sensitive to pills, same thing would have happened pre WLS. I have an Iron sleeve, almost nothing bothers it.

1 hour ago, sillykitty said:

I'm 17 months out, and I feel way better than normal. I had clearly forgotten what it felt like to be a healthy weight, and I definitely didn't appreciate it back in my 20's. I seriously feel joyful so much of the time.

I can feel mildly nauseous, if I eat too much too fast, but it passes quickly. I have had a few quite mild dumping-esque incidents, unusual for a sleever, but nearly all liquid sugar related (no more vietnamese coffee for me :( ) I have vomited twice since surgery, both times from Vitamins on an empty stomach. I've always been sensitive to pills, same thing would have happened pre WLS. I have an Iron sleeve, almost nothing bothers it.

I am just 5 months out, but I can relate to almost everything you said. Many mild dumping like incidents (about once a week) a couple that were more severe. I have also vomited only twice and both were from vitamins! Not sure I have the Iron sleeve though. lol.

In regards to feeling "normal", I think I feel very normal already. More energy, sleep better, stopped snoring, no longer pre-diabetic, no longer on BP meds... So better than normal may be a more accurate description.

Five and a half years out, it's a mixed bag for me.

Positives:

Went from 425+ to about 285 in 18 months, stayed between that and 305 since.
no more sleep apnea
no more knee/foot pain
I met my wife post-surgery after a lifetime of never having a longterm relationship

Negatives:

No matter what I do, I can't get under 285. Calorie restriction, even extreme calorie restriction, yields very low results.
Because of this, I am almost back at the point I was emotionally pre-surgery: can't look at myself in the mirror, clothed or not, without feeling very upset and angry at myself.
Incredibly bad and worsening back pain from degenerative discs. No physical therapy/exercise has helped, injections don't work at all, and I can get only very short term relief from hydrocodone, which doctors are reluctant to prescribe.

So, I'm better than I was, but am coming to the realization that I will continue to be morbidly obese and in constant pain for the rest of my life.

I am one year and 4 months post op sleeve. It was rough the first few months, but now I am doing great. Never had heart burn or any complications. I still cannot eat much, which is just fine with me! I was 66 when I had surgery. Best thing I have EVER done for myself!!! Went from 200 to 116, now I even wear bikinis!!! I have so much energy! I am a cheap date now, my husband orders and I have some off his plate. Every day is a gift !! Enjoy life to the fullest!!!

I will be 2 years out 8/9 and I am very happy I did this, but I am like you in the thought, will I ever not be reminded that I had this surgery and the answer for me is no. I had Gerd immediately after surgery and take meds for it daily, so how can I forget ? Also I still can only eat small amounts and still feel like its Thanksgiving everyday ! Knowing what I know now I would still do it all over again in a heartbeat . Maybe this will change in a few years and maybe it wont but I am much happier for sure .

Any answers would help.
Im 5 years in Oct and when i had the endoscopy before surgery i had a slight hiatal hernia.ive always suffered from heartburn on and off but everything was ok.until 3 months ago when i had my 3rd endoscopy and was told i had an ulcer(my biggest fear with this surgery) and my hernia is alot worse.so i was put on carafate for 3 months and had my hiatal hernia repaired 5 days.another endoscopy was done right before surgery and showed ulcer healed but i had a massive amount of scar tissue from acids in my stomach.also my stomach is still very irritated and i just got back from check up today and i have to be on pureed foods for 4 more weeks and still on protonix for 2 months more(ive been on protonix since my sleeve,5yrs!)also have to get another endoscopy in 6 weeks!omgg,this acid needs to stop already!anyone else been down this road???
10/6/2014-214lbs
7/15/2019-149lbs

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app