Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Round 3: Revision planned for July 31 2019

1998: Went to Sweden for a Gastric Band (Disaster... but I did not know until....) Woke up with a 10 inch scar on my stomach. What? Why? Never got a real answer

1999: Band was to be maintained in Washington State. The Drs said there was something wrong. I felt a lot of discomfort and could not eat anything.

2000: Band removed (I think) and RNY performed. Medical notes mention the band was wrapped up and twisted in scar tissue. I only read that years later.

2000 to 2010: I did not follow any instructions, rarely took my Vitamins, never monitored vitamins. I was an idiot. Ended up with Osteoporosis and needed Iron transfusions. Actually had to go for a blood transfusion in 2009. Oh... and a fractured pelvis.

2010 - 2019: Worked on learning to eat better, take better care of myself. Went to see a therapist about my issues and made some small and big changes. Began an off and on relationship with the gym, kayaking, paddle boarding. Became healthier, reversed the osteoporosis and brought my iron up to good levels. I struggle with my weight. Up and down, 209 high, 175 low. Back and forth. Driving me insane. Too many clothes in my closet in three different sizes.

A friend, an 82 year old woman, told me about Dr. Lopez in Guadalajara and how he completed a revision for her. She finally lost that final 50 pounds. She looks fantastic and feels great. I met two other people who had Gastric Sleeve surgeries with Dr. Lopez. I made an appointment and now I am scheduled for a revision.

It will cost around $6,500 dollars. I am really working hard in scraping the money up together. Gave up going out and doing anything the last three months and will whip out the charge card (4% extra). I am excited and I have been working hard, reading books, watching videos, recording everything I eat. Testing out Protein Shakes and working on smaller portions. I will have had 6 weeks of this before I begin the 2 week pre surgical diet. I have been working out four days a week in the gym. I am strong and happy. I feel beautiful, having once weighed much, much more than I do. I have no pain, and no physical or medical problems such a High BP or Diabetes. I just want to settle on ONE SIZE and feel a little more comfortable on my bike. Oh.... and get off those stupid pills for Acid Reflux. I swear, I am going to do that and Dr. Lopez will help me. I am crossing my fingers.

So, I am 62 years old and I weigh 199.999999 pounds (Ha, just made it under 200 this morning). I hope to be at my goal weight of 145 by this time next year. Heck, I will settle for more. Just want to fit in to my "skinny" wardrobe (175lbs) and give away the rest. My closet broke this year!

so you're revising from RNY to VSG? I haven't heard of that one - although some people revise from RNY to DS, which has a sleeve stomach. That's a super complicated surgery, though (RNY to DS), and not many surgeons perform it. RNY is actually a stronger surgery than VSG, so I'm a little surprised you're doing that - but best of luck to you!

Oh. I am not familiar with all the terminology.

The surgeon wrote "revision" on the quote. I assumed it just meant, change.

So, he will be making the opening between my stomach and small intestine smaller. He will examine the stomach and see if it can be smaller if necessary. Secondly, he will modify the existing RNY. The purpose will be to bypass a greater distance. So, it's a two part procedure.

I have to admit to being very confused as to what type of revision this is?

I am also wondering what is being done that will help with the reflux.

Yes, I know. My Dr. thinks that he may, after fooling around with my stomach, improve things in regards to the reflux. Here is a link that sort of shows what he is going to do with my stomach,

https://www.wlshelp.com/stomaphyx.html

The Dr does not know what he will do until he gets a good look. The objective is to keep food from moving too quickly from the stomach to the small intestine, make the stomach smaller and (hopefully) do something to help with the reflux. Next, he will revise the bypass.

So, I am not your typical person. I donated my kidney to my brother over 35 years ago. I really take care of my kidney health and the medication used for controlling reflux can damage the kidney over time. I also have a thing called MGUS that also can result in kidney damage as it progresses. So, if I can get off the meds.... that will be one for me.

I avoid animal Protein as well. Glad there are so many great plant based protein products now. That will also help.

My kidney is perfect, and my brothers is still working very, very well. I just want to keep mine that way. The family is now out of spare kidneys.

Edited by ValerieInMexico
spelling

A similar stomach revision is called a StomaphyX. There are several that make the stoma between the stomach and small intestine smaller.

7 hours ago, ValerieInMexico said:

Oh. I am not familiar with all the terminology.

The surgeon wrote "revision" on the quote. I assumed it just meant, change.

So, he will be making the opening between my stomach and small intestine smaller. He will examine the stomach and see if it can be smaller if necessary. Secondly, he will modify the existing RNY. The purpose will be to bypass a greater distance. So, it's a two part procedure.

OK - I understand now. With that longer intestinal bypass part, you'll have to be REALLY diligent with your Vitamins. It's going to be even more critical now because you'll be even more prone to Vitamin deficiencies than you were before. Good luck to you, by the way...hope this does the trick for you!

I just looked up MGUS, Wikipedia states it's a plasma dyscrasia which in some cases can lead to Multiple Myeloma and yeah, it too admits is can be tough on renal tissue. Now You take care of YOURSELF, don't want to lose you or anyone here on Bariatric Pal!😪

Very interesting! I hope It works out well for you, many people may be very interested in how this goes so please keep us updated along the process. You may help others deciding how to move forward.

Good Luck 💜

You've been through a lot. Good luck!

Gosh! I'm alternately confused and in awe of your spirit of adventure with operating on your tum and gut! 😯

I truly hope this doc is the real deal and can handle a surgery of this magnitude and that it's the cure you're seeking. I know you are super savvy and have done your research! So bravo. Please continue to work on the head part of this process cuz as you know and experience, it's possible to eat around ANY of these surgeries. :( I second the part from @catwoman7 about being super vigilant about keeping up with vitamins/minerals and vit/min testing to make sure you are in optimal ranges!

Let us know how it goes!!!

I met with my GP, here in Canada, yesterday. I told her what I had planned. I am having the surgery in Mexico. My original gastric band was self pay in Sweden. My gastric bypass was covered by Insurance when I lived and worked in Washington State. Now, I am back, retired in Canada. I would not qualify here, because I really am healthy at this time.

Fortunately for me, my Dr. is from Colorado and had many patients in the US who had bariatric surgery. She is supportive, but is performing more tests today. This year, I have had endoscopy, abdominal ultrasound, and bone scans. No problems found. My mineral levels are good now, after a lot of work so I feel good to go. She is wondering why I have a fatty liver and is just giving me a diabetes test to see if I am diabetic or insulin resistant. She gave me copies of all my tests for the surgeon in Mexico.

My surgeon said he has done 200 revisions, including redo of the RNY. I am nervous, of course. I do not have kids, pets or plants so if I have problems..... no one dependent on me so that helps me handle the risk. Plus, I have a winter home near where the procedure is taking place, so I can hang around for a month in case there are any problems.

Honestly, the struggle with weight has been life long, like so many of us. I work so hard, in the gym, walking, and I am so careful what I eat. I do not even have sugar in my house and have not for years. I do not eat any junk food, soda, frappes. Once or twice a year I binge on a pint of ice cream. I drink wine. I track calories. It takes years and years of dedication to lose 30 pounds and then: BAM One bad winter and all 30 are back. I just can not do this yo-yo anymore. So I will take the risk. My last four months have been about Portion Control and counseling to find ways to stop the evening eating (where all my extra calories come from).

So.... that is also a big reason why I am taking the risk. I need help. Yes, I can lose it again with dedication, but will I keep it off? I need help......and now...…. I am mature and disciplined enough to do this correctly. Thanks for all the interest and I will keep you up to date. Pre Surgical diet begins in 4 days.

I will post from the hospital and will appreciate the support.

Ditch the wine babe. With wine comes evening munchies and fatty liver.

The end.

If I drink wine I can wave goodbye to losing weight for a minimum of 4 days. :( Truth. And I invariably want a bedtime snack of almonds and chocolate...all things that lead to stalls or regain.

Ha! I know. I switched to "wine Fridays" last year, so I would only have wine once a week. Now, it just once in a while. It is my favorite thing, so. I will pick up my last and final boxes of wine club wine, stick bows on them and drop them off at friends houses. I need a clear and clean environment. I will resign from the wine club.... so sad, but necessary for now. Don't want a fatty liver!