Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble sleeping after Sleeve

Has anyone else had problems sleeping since they had the sleeve surgery ? It's been just shy of two weeks and the first week I didn't have any issues but now just about every night I have to take a prescription sleeping pill.

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had VSG surgery in July 1st. I had a bit of insomnia week 2. However after a couple of days and making sure I was “active” (walking) and not sleeping during the day the insomnia diminished.

Well I was going to suggest that maybe it is your hormones out of whack until I noticed that you are a guy lol

Still I imagine that you have plenty of other chemicals out of whack and it may just take a bit to adjust and get to your new normal.

Hang in there.

7 hours ago, texasnewf said:

Has anyone else had problems sleeping since they had the sleeve surgery ? It's been just shy of two weeks and the first week I didn't have any issues but now just about every night I have to take a prescription sleeping pill.

Yep, I have way too much energy with weight loss.

No, not really. But I do sleep better ever since I got a "weighted blanket" to sleep with. It's like someone hugging you all night and very comforting.

the first week i could not sleep much.. trying to lie down with a super sore stomach was impossible.. i had to sleep sitting in a chair.. only after i took my pain pills...now more than a month later i sleep normal...

12 hours ago, texasnewf said:

You are losing weight so quickly your body has an issue with adjustment. I had falling issues times when I would trip I ended up falling because my "center of balance" was changing. Once I got close to goal with my Lap Band everything leveled out. Still remained cold as I had removed my "fat coat".

I didn't sleep well for about a month after surgery primarily because I'm a side sleeper and could not sleep on my side for about a month. Whenever I laid on my side, it felt like my guts were shifting. Not only was this uncomfortable, but my imagination just went wild with me and kept me awake.

Now, I have occasional age-related insomnia, but not severe enough to resort to prescription sleeping aids. I will generally just take a melatonin supplement before bed and I sleep like a baby.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I have melatonin so I will try taking that as well. I also have sleep apnea so I'll be glad if I lose enough to get rid of that stupid machine too... although in some cases it's not weight related.. but I think in my case it is...

I could barely sleep for two hours during my second week after surgery, but then the third week my sleeping pattern has been normal again