Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2019 Surgery Siblings Post-Op

On 12/04/2019 at 18:48, darcyjae said:

I had about 2 tbsp of anything I wanted and a slice of turkey. Too full for dessert. Ended up losing a pound over night and two more the following weekend. Now sitting 3 pounds from my end of year goal to get below 200. I just might do this! We are headed to Universal Orlando for New Years and the prospect of going on rides without being self conscious about being over #200 is pretty exciting!!!

You’ll love it! We just got back from Disney.

Glad to here everyone is doing well. Things are great here to. Hubz is down 129 and I’m down 107 we make 5 months on Monday

SUPER slow weight loss. Partially my fault. Not walking/hiking like i was. 3 days of bad decisions around Thanksgiving..not going to justify it. Gained 5 lbs...ankles swelled like crazy. Lost 4 within 48 hrs but still up a pound. Even in all the other past 27 days of eating 'clean' and within macros..only lost 1 lb.

hair falling out like crazy. Husband gripes when I mention getting hair piece or something before cruise.

Ate TWO darn grilled chicken nugget from Chik Filet too fast 2 days ago (only Protein for that day) Don't have much restriction feeling at all anymore but I keep my meal sizes fairly consistent. Didn't hit restriction this time either but when I got home was hit with huge WAVE of nausea (ate them too fast??).

Was in bathroom FOREVER. After 4+ hrs of vomiting/floaties/foamies/dry heaving, I burst so many tiny vessels in my face I looked like i had double case of chicken pox on forehead & 1/2 way down face.. Tried phenegran - didn't stay down..I swear a little piece of pill came out my nose during one of the worst bouts. Couldn't even sip Water.

7+ hrs later I realized it was almost 11PM & I had early AM meetings. Went to ER out of desperation. ER couldn't stop it with IV phenegran either. Finally gave me another med. Stopped roughly 9 hrs after started. Checked for blockages..none found.

Am tired, my face still has red spots..hair coming out in droves & droves. I feel old & ugly today..uglier. Sorry I don't have more positive things to say. Am here..so guess that is something. I actually feel...rather apathetic..

Edited by KarenLR75

That’s horrible, Karen. I’m so sorry! It sounds almost like food poisoning. But overall it looks like you’re still down a lot, so try not to be discouraged by the set-back. I suggest you try to see your nutritionist, and get back on track, but mostly, keep your chin up. You’ve got this.

5 months today! Down 104 since surgery. 150 overall.

i will say ive noticed my emotions up and down lately. Weird because im usually always happy. But overall everything is great.

hope my fellow july friends are enjoying the ride!

Very happy to report that I've hit my 2019 milestone goal and dropped under 200 this weekend for the first time since my 20s. Next milestone is to get under 180 (my surgeon's goal for me) and out of the obese category! (Haven't seen that weight since my teens.)

I hope the rest of you are doing well. I know the holidays can be a challenge with food, so wishing everyone lots of luck! ❤️

Edited by darcyjae

Hello! i had my sleeve done on the dec 13th abd right now all i feel is pain. I havent had a feeling of relief of my decision ive made, i feel as if i regret it a little bit. I worried itll be this rough for a while and that ive made a mistake. Anyone else felt the same?

1 hour ago, ssophiemariee said:

Hello! i had my sleeve done on the dec 13th abd right now all i feel is pain. I havent had a feeling of relief of my decision ive made, i feel as if i regret it a little bit. I worried itll be this rough for a while and that ive made a mistake. Anyone else felt the same?

Hi SophieMarie!

I think a bit of buyers remorse right after surgery is very common. The first week... heck the first two months!... are really hard. The pain is no fun and trying to eat and drink while recovering is horrid. I remember thinking to myself, often, "This is a breathtakingly permanent thing I just did, effectively mutilating myself forever."

And it is breathtaking. But it's also a gift you've given yourself, and over the next few months, you'll really begin to see it pay off. Once the pain is gone and you're on a more or less regular food diet you'll feel more normal again. And when the pounds start coming off you'll be very happy to have paid the price of a week or three of discomfort, I'm certain.

Hang in there!

Edited by darcyjae

Very happy to report that I've hit my 2019 milestone goal and dropped under 200 this weekend for the first time since my 20s. Next milestone is to get under 180 (my surgeon's goal for me) and out of the obese category! (Haven't seen that weight since my teens.)
I hope the rest of you are doing well. I know the holidays can be a challenge with food, so wishing everyone lots of luck!
Congratulations, great job!! So happy for you !!!

5'4"
Starting weight 297
VSG on 7/31/19
Surgery wt: 266
CW 215
GW 135

Sent from my [samsung Galaxy] using BariatricPal mobile app

Happy New Year to my July surgery siblings! Congratulations on meeting all of your 2019 goals! May 2020 bring much happiness and success your way!! Cheers to a healthy new year and a new YOU!!

5'4"
Starting weight 297
VSG on 7/31/19
Surgery wt: 266
CW 211
GW 135

Sent from my [samsung Galaxy] using BariatricPal mobile app

I had RNY July 2019 and I'm down about 130 lbs total from pre-surgey 311 lbs to current weight of 182 lbs.
In the last week I've gained 4 lbs (178 to 182). I'm trying to catch my mistake now to prevent the scale from going up any further.
Im watching my portions, counting calories and carbs, and drinking most of my Water. Im not doing anything different than I was doing when I was losing. I can accept a stall, but I'm terrified of regaining just 7 months out. I had hernia repair surgery on 12/31/19, so I'm still unable to exercise for another few weeks. I managed to lose about 10 lbs during January after surgery without exercise. February has been a rough start for me though.
Have any of you experienced a gain like this throughout your journey? I've stalled in the past, and I have even gained a lb or 2, but gaining 4 lbs is scaring the hell out of me.
Overall, I know I've been successful, but being obese my whole life makes me not trust myself when it comes to health and nutrition. Please give me words of advice to get me through this. I feel so confused reading the threads sometimes... eat more, eat less, watch carbs, carbs don't matter... I just don't know what to believe.

I’m five days post-op. Everything is going well. Just wondering when the swelling is going to go down on my belly.

On 2/8/2020 at 4:40 AM, alex76 said:

I had RNY July 2019 and I'm down about 130 lbs total from pre-surgey 311 lbs to current weight of 182 lbs.
In the last week I've gained 4 lbs (178 to 182). I'm trying to catch my mistake now to prevent the scale from going up any further.
Im watching my portions, counting calories and carbs, and drinking most of my Water. Im not doing anything different than I was doing when I was losing. I can accept a stall, but I'm terrified of regaining just 7 months out. I had hernia repair surgery on 12/31/19, so I'm still unable to exercise for another few weeks. I managed to lose about 10 lbs during January after surgery without exercise. February has been a rough start for me though.
Have any of you experienced a gain like this throughout your journey? I've stalled in the past, and I have even gained a lb or 2, but gaining 4 lbs is scaring the hell out of me.
Overall, I know I've been successful, but being obese my whole life makes me not trust myself when it comes to health and nutrition. Please give me words of advice to get me through this. I feel so confused reading the threads sometimes... eat more, eat less, watch carbs, carbs don't matter... I just don't know what to believe.

That's a lot of weight to lose in 6-7 months! I had my surgery in July 2019 too but am only down 53 lbs from surgery date (261-209). That's an average of 7.5 lbs per month, which I believe is a normal and healthy speed. Your body is probably just readjusting. Plus, at that lower weight, you don't need the calories you needed to maintain anything over 200 so check what your current calories needs are. Eat sensibly, exercise, and let your body work it out. And make sure you don't repeat the mistakes you made leading up to the weight gain! It's hard because it's so much a part of who we are but we have to fight temptations and rejoice in the healthier lifestyle!

How's everyone doing now that we July Siblings are past the 6 month mark?

Anyone at goal yet?

I just passed the mark my surgeon set for me (to get under the 30 BMI/obesity level) and that felt pretty good. I'm about 15-20 lbs from where I think I'd like to be going into maintenance, but I'll probably make that call closer to the mark. How did you all set your final goals? I am trying to thread the needle between being slender and maintaining some of my curves/not being too saggy.

I haven't noticed any major slowing of my typical 1.5-3 lb a week and 8-10 lb a month rate of loss YET, but I'm bracing myself for it as I understand the last 15 lbs are quite hard.