Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2019 Surgery Siblings Post-Op

Well, we went on that last nature walk and it was NOT supposed to rain but in the middle of it, we got hit with a deluge of rain and wind (rain coming in sideways). Made it back to car after what felt like forever, completely soaked. We managed to walk 1.7 miles that day and it may have been more if it hadn't been for the rain but that's for another time.

It's been 38 days since surgery now and I've lost 19.8 lbs. I'm made peace, at least for now, with the rate I'm losing as I was a very slow 'loser' prior to surgery (did Keto for 15 months) so I have to remember without this surgery that I definitely would NOT have lost 19.8 lb in 38 days. Yes, in my first month or two of my 15 month keto journey I did lose a LOT...close to this same rate, but that was probably at least 10 lbs of Water weight and that pace was not sustainable.

Current weight loss rate is roughly .52 lbs a day which is actually pretty great in my mind. I do feel STRONGLY that I have to keep up the physical activity multiple times a wk. And I know there are more stalls in my future & even gains as I continue to walk with my daughter and am working on a plan to join a friend at a local gym to walk an air conditioned track with her and also to have access to other machines/weights/etc.

For now I just wanted to give an update. The 'vent' that I left here the other day helped me to get things out so I could start breaking past the negativity that was going on in my mind and thinking. Thanks for the support.

Labor Day weekend wasn't good for me. I feel like I ate terrible. I had 1/4 a hamburger sirloin patty, half a braut, baked Beans, some veggies. Some spicy chips. I did eat a little cheesecake they were sampler size pieces and had 14g of sugar which I've been told by my NT to stay under 5g of sugar. I was kinda disappointed in myself. I normally don't crave cakes, pies, sweets much, but we hosted labor day get together and my in laws brought it and left it here. Ugh! I havent had sugar in a loooooooong time. But today I ate normal I don't plan on making it a habit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Labor Day weekend wasn't good for me. I feel like I ate terrible. I had 1/4 a hamburger sirloin patty, half a braut, baked Beans, some veggies. Some spicy chips. I did eat a little cheesecake they were sampler size pieces and had 14g of sugar which I've been told by my NT to stay under 5g of sugar. I was kinda disappointed in myself. I normally don't crave cakes, pies, sweets much, but we hosted labor day get together and my in laws brought it and left it here. Ugh! I havent had sugar in a loooooooong time. But today I ate normal I don't plan on making it a habit.

Tomorrow is another day!!! Like your attitude!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Well, we went on that last nature walk and it was NOT supposed to rain but in the middle of it, we got hit with a deluge of rain and wind (rain coming in sideways). Made it back to car after what felt like forever, completely soaked. We managed to walk 1.7 miles that day and it may have been more if it hadn't been for the rain but that's for another time.
It's been 38 days since surgery now and I've lost 19.8 lbs. I'm made peace, at least for now, with the rate I'm losing as I was a very slow 'loser' prior to surgery (did Keto for 15 months) so I have to remember without this surgery that I definitely would NOT have lost 19.8 lb in 38 days. Yes, in my first month or two of my 15 month keto journey I did lose a LOT...close to this same rate, but that was probably at least 10 lbs of Water weight and that pace was not sustainable.
Current weight loss rate is roughly .52 lbs a day which is actually pretty great in my mind. I do feel STRONGLY that I have to keep up the physical activity multiple times a wk. And I know there are more stalls in my future & even gains as I continue to walk with my daughter and am working on a plan to join a friend at a local gym to walk an air conditioned track with her and also to have access to other machines/weights/etc.
For now I just wanted to give an update. The 'vent' that I left here the other day helped me to get things out so I could start breaking past the negativity that was going on in my mind and thinking. Thanks for the support.
KarenLR75, love your attitude!!!! Life will not be interesting if we were all the same! As frustrating as it is everyone's journey is different! I'm so glad you got your groove It's a marathon not a sprint! I like the fact that you mentioned you will refrain from daily weigh ins! I think it helps. Go your pace, slow and steady and still win YOUR championship race!!!🧡

Tomorrow is another day!!! Like your attitude!!!

I finally figured out why I had the salty and sweet craving. It clicked last night it's because I started my period lol! I have PCOS so my periods are normally 4 months+ apart and I don't keep track of them since its so far apart. So it didn't click right away why I was craving all the bad stuff I was seeing.

So prior to the surgery I started out at 261lbs right now I'm 226 which is 35lbs down. I was wearing a super snug size 18 before surgery. I probably needed a size 20, but i refused to buy more pants.

So my size 15 pants last fit me when I was 235 and they were uncomfortably tight. I was like to myself "hey those ripped up jeans I fit into them at 235 and I'm 226 now I should be able to wear them!" So I try them on and omgee the fit and they aren't tight at all! They fit perfect. So i went even further back into my closet and found some size 14's and they fit too! They are snug as you can see the belly rolls lol, but ill take it! lol I haven't been able to fit into them for the past 7yrs.

So I'm about a size 14/15 right now which is super exciting for me. When I look at myself I don't see much change even though I have lost 35lbs and 27inches all over. I have 100lbs to lose stuck in my head so it makes me feel like I've lost nothing in comparison. But i gotta stop thinking that way and be happy for the smaller victories that lead up to the big one! PhotoGrid_1568065453915.jpeg

(adding so my pic isn't the thumbnail lol [emoji15] its embarrassing)Screenshot_20190909-170735_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

So it has been 42 days since my surgery, I am down 39 pounds so far. I am starting to get my hunger back but so far not doing to bad. I have crept over 800 calories a couple times but my average so far is 829 for the 30 days I have been tracking so far. I find it hard to get enough Protein without going over calories when eating real food as opposed to supplementing with shakes. Any one else having problems with this or any tips? I have found using a smaller plate helps.

image-0.00202655792236328.jpg

So prior to the surgery I started out at 261lbs right now I'm 226 which is 35lbs down. I was wearing a super snug size 18 before surgery. I probably needed a size 20, but i refused to buy more pants.

So my size 15 pants last fit me when I was 235 and they were uncomfortably tight. I was like to myself "hey those ripped up jeans I fit into them at 235 and I'm 226 now I should be able to wear them!" So I try them on and omgee the fit and they aren't tight at all! They fit perfect. So i went even further back into my closet and found some size 14's and they fit too! They are snug as you can see the belly rolls lol, but ill take it! lol I haven't been able to fit into them for the past 7yrs.

So I'm about a size 14/15 right now which is super exciting for me. When I look at myself I don't see much change even though I have lost 35lbs and 27inches all over. I have 100lbs to lose stuck in my head so it makes me feel like I've lost nothing in comparison. But i gotta stop thinking that way and be happy for the smaller victories that lead up to the big one! [emoji158] PhotoGrid_1568065453915.thumb.jpeg.d5bd4c7ab752d161aacb79a6b2913537.jpeg

Congratulations!!!! Your silhouette looks beautiful!!!

On 09/09/2019 at 19:27, 12345shs16 said:

Does anybody ever have a meal and it go straight through you?

Twice. In both cases it was fairly soon after I’d drink a lot of Water.

*drunk

4 hours ago, MeowAMR said:

So I'm about a size 14/15 right now which is super exciting for me. When I look at myself I don't see much change even though I have lost 35lbs and 27inches all over. I have 100lbs to lose stuck in my head so it makes me feel like I've lost nothing in comparison. But i gotta stop thinking that way and be happy for the smaller victories that lead up to the big one!

Girl, you are rocking it, LITERALLY! I'm both proud and THRILLED for you!!!

4 hours ago, TANK184 said:

I find it hard to get enough Protein without going over calories when eating real food as opposed to supplementing with shakes. Any one else having problems with this or any tips? I have found using a smaller plate helps

One thing I've found that helps bring up Protein without adding so many calories is I add Protein Powder (unflavored) to almost everything including my shredded chicken I made yesterday which has a salsa/broth poured on top of it.

I noticed when I did not add the protein powder, I ate a bigger 'helping' of chicken..probably closer to 4+ oz & generally my pouch only tolerates UNDER 4 oz's well....I have no idea why with this food item I can 'stuff more in'. The reason I say it like that is because I was following old/bad habits, eating quickly, not chewing as much..not putting down my fork.

This is where I find I need to do WAY more head work. I can tell when I've HIT my restriction, I need to REMEMBER to measure/weigh as when I do NOT hit my restriction, my old 'stinking' way of 'thinking' starts to wonder..."hhmm..can I take another bites?". The question should be DOES my body REQUIRE another bite?

So, I realized I had forgotten the protein powder, I went back to adding it tonight & eating MINDFULLY - something I can forget from meal to meal even ONLY 6.5 weeks out! SCARY! I know this is the honeymoon period but short of trying to ensure I get 60+ oz's of protein, I should be doing whatever I can to keep calories LIMITED (this is my own feelings) AND ontinue to try to keep carbs limited. I;m a super SLOW loser & I noticed when early into pureed stages, when I had the ONE and only helping of 'mashed potatoes'...that I was in TROUBLE.

Carbs like this are a big trigger food for me and CONVENIENTLY..my 'Ms. Picky Pouch' did not signify it was full when I expected the restriction to 'kick in as normal'. It's like 'she' (my pouch) decided she could fold and flatten the dang potatoes! I decided after that to love myself enough to kick this trigger food to the curb. You will not find a trigger food in my house normally as I had been doing Keto WOL for long, long time.

I like your idea of smaller plates. I notice when putting my shredded chicken into my regular size 'Dixie bowl', I was constantly hesitating as it 'looked like less'. I must weigh/measure so I KNOW how much it is. I think I will buy the small..well, ppl would call them dessert plates..whatever the smallest size is, and put my food on that instead. Heck, I have saucers I NEVER use..I can use them..lol..what a CONCEPT!

On 09/09/2019 at 21:50, KarenLR75 said:

One thing I've found that helps bring up Protein without adding so many calories is I add Protein Powder (unflavored) to almost everything including my shredded chicken I made yesterday which has a salsa/broth poured on top of it.

I noticed when I did not add the Protein powder, I ate a bigger 'helping' of chicken..probably closer to 4+ oz & generally my pouch only tolerates UNDER 4 oz's well....I have no idea why with this food item I can 'stuff more in'. The reason I say it like that is because I was following old/bad habits, eating quickly, not chewing as much..not putting down my fork.

This is where I find I need to do WAY more head work. I can tell when I've HIT my restriction, I need to REMEMBER to measure/weigh as when I do NOT hit my restriction, my old 'stinking' way of 'thinking' starts to wonder..."hhmm..can I take another bites?". The question should be DOES my body REQUIRE another bite?

So, I realized I had forgotten the protein powder, I went back to adding it tonight & eating MINDFULLY - something I can forget from meal to meal even ONLY 6.5 weeks out! SCARY! I know this is the honeymoon period but short of trying to ensure I get 60+ oz's of protein, I should be doing whatever I can to keep calories LIMITED (this is my own feelings) AND ontinue to try to keep carbs limited. I;m a super SLOW loser & I noticed when early into pureed stages, when I had the ONE and only helping of 'mashed potatoes'...that I was in TROUBLE.

Carbs like this are a big trigger food for me and CONVENIENTLY..my 'Ms. Picky Pouch' did not signify it was full when I expected the restriction to 'kick in as normal'. It's like 'she' (my pouch) decided she could fold and flatten the dang potatoes! I decided after that to love myself enough to kick this trigger food to the curb. You will not find a trigger food in my house normally as I had been doing Keto WOL for long, long time.

I like your idea of smaller plates. I notice when putting my shredded chicken into my regular size 'Dixie bowl', I was constantly hesitating as it 'looked like less'. I must weigh/measure so I KNOW how much it is. I think I will buy the small..well, ppl would call them dessert plates..whatever the smallest size is, and put my food on that instead. Heck, I have saucers I NEVER use..I can use them..lol..what a CONCEPT!

I like the idea of the protein powder, I think I will pick some up tomorrow and give that a try!

I had the mashed potato thing as well where I wanted to eat more and more so I decided to stop eating them as well. I try to eat a lot of chicken (grilled) and very little veggies trying to get as much protein as possible. When I’m short I try to do like cheese sticks or eggs but it’s tough getting 75 grams of protein and stay under 800 calories. I’m not eating junk and my wife and I did a Keto for a while as well and we are trying to stay as low carb as possible, only problem is the Calcium and Multi Vitamins chewed the surgeon put me on for the first three months has 20 carbs alone for what I need in a day. Switching to something else after I am out of these for sure!

Thanks for the tips!