Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2019 Surgery Siblings Post-Op

I would give it at least 2-3 weeks to heal. Thats how long it took me. Trust me guys, it will be worth it. I was miserable and regretted the surgery. I had a BMI of >35, so was self pay. I was a cranky man.

Btw.. think I am on my first stall- 3 days and the scale hasn't moved. Honestly I am ok. I am having a tough time explaining the weight loss.

I'm 22 days post OP and have lost 18 lbs to date. My diet currently consist of 2 Premier Protein shakes a day and 1/2 cup of baked or grilled chicken. I'm able to get in 50 to 60oz of Water a day and I do 264 stair steps a day. I've only lost 2 lbs this week, thought it would be more. The nurse says to increase my Protein and water but it's so hard. After a few bites I am already full. Just wondering what I can do to lose more weight. I have alot going on right now and have no time to excercise more than the stairs. I hope I'm on the right track and doing what I should be doing.

5'4"
Starting weight 297
VSG on 7/31/19
Surgery wt: 266
CW 248
GW 135

Sent from my [samsung Galaxy] using BariatricPal mobile app

12 minutes ago, Flo-grown said:

Just wondering what I can do to lose more weight. I have alot going on right now and have no time to excercise more than the stairs. I hope I'm on the right track and doing what I should be doing. 

I'm no expert but from what I'm seeing in this thread 18-20lbs seems to be more or less the average for where you're at, with the sleeve. The RNY folks seem a bit further on, and of course everyone loses at their own rate.

I'm 23 days post op and I'm eating about the same: today was a Protein Drink, a yogurt, and a 2.5oz tuna pouch with 3 parmesan crisps. I'm doing 1-2 hours of walking a day for exercise.

20 pounds in a month is pretty great, so I definitely wouldn't sweat it too hard.

PS: Eating Protein Shakes with milk is a good way to start the day already 31g up on Protein. I use Syntrax's Cappucino with 1% milk and it's a huge help—plus not horrid tasting.

Edited by darcyjae

I'm no expert but from what I'm seeing in this thread 18-20lbs seems to be more or less the average for where you're at, with the sleeve. The RNY folks seem a bit further on, and of course everyone loses at their own rate.
I'm 23 days post op and I'm eating about the same: today was a Protein Drink, a yogurt, and a 2.5oz tuna pouch with 3 parmesan crisps. I'm doing 1-2 hours of walking a day for exercise.
20 pounds in a month is pretty great, so I definitely wouldn't sweat it too hard.
PS: Eating Protein Shakes with milk is a good way to start the day already 31g up on Protein. I use Syntrax's Cappucino with 1% milk and it's a huge help—plus not horrid tasting.
Thanks for the suggestion and the advice. I manage a team of 35 and work long 12-13 hr days which doesn't leave much time for exercise. I do walk alot while at work. I've been trying to cut back my hours so I can dedicate 1 or 2 hours a day walking/exercising. It's just so much to do and not much time [emoji852].

5'4"
Starting weight 297
VSG on 7/31/19
CW 248
GW 135

4 weeks post op and still have only lost 15 lbs. A bit depressed about that. Am on soft foods, but nervous about what that calorie 'increase" (from 100-300 first 2 weeks post op) to 300-400 in first puree week..now soft foods I'm more at 400 to 600 (actually hit 700 the other day and almost panicked) is going to do to my loss.

I asked my dr's office for target macros and they said not to worry about them right now, to just ensure I'm getting in the Water and Protein. I am a person who is very data driven and I don't trust my unhealthy ways of coping with food not to come rearing its ugly head. I'm not 'recovered' from my food addiction. I'm "in recovery" and I know all too much about relapses and just how long it can take to have a true long and sustainable track record to back up that "recovery".

I am actively seeking a therapist closer to me as I have a lot of headwork that still needs to be done...perhaps more now than prior to surgery. My car is no longer reliable so have a therapist super close to the North Fort Worth area is critical. Need them to be skilled at working with WLS clients and I need help with grief...and trauma.

I'm so happy to be part of the July siblings group! I've 'met' so many amazing ppl on here (as well as those that I also adore that aren't part of my 'sibling group'.

Best wishes everyone!

4 weeks post op and still have only lost 15 lbs. A bit depressed about that. Am on soft foods, but nervous about what that calorie 'increase" (from 100-300 first 2 weeks post op) to 300-400 in first puree week..now soft foods I'm more at 400 to 600 (actually hit 700 the other day and almost panicked) is going to do to my loss.
I asked my dr's office for target macros and they said not to worry about them right now, to just ensure I'm getting in the Water and Protein. I am a person who is very data driven and I don't trust my unhealthy ways of coping with food not to come rearing its ugly head. I'm not 'recovered' from my food addiction. I'm "in recovery" and I know all too much about relapses and just how long it can take to have a true long and sustainable track record to back up that "recovery".
I am actively seeking a therapist closer to me as I have a lot of headwork that still needs to be done...perhaps more now than prior to surgery. My car is no longer reliable so have a therapist super close to the North Fort Worth area is critical. Need them to be skilled at working with WLS clients and I need help with grief...and trauma.
I'm so happy to be part of the July siblings group! I've 'met' so many amazing ppl on here (as well as those that I also adore that aren't part of my 'sibling group'.
Best wishes everyone!

My doc said the same, focus on Protein and Water. I was hoping to lose more than I've lost by now but I understand it won't happen overnight. I'm keeping myself busy and trying not to pay close attention to the numbers.i hope you find a good therapist close to you!

Xxx

5'4"
Starting weight 297
VSG on 7/31/19
CW 248
GW 135

Love following Dr. V on Facebook and YouTube:

https://www.sleeveacademy.com/howmuch?fbclid=IwAR26zELRDSvAL-hzf3IaSyAkSLgwCxki-tOlm1GO8Jz7R0FYXunkHmV9820

This is a great one he posted today!

I am still in a stall. I keep thinking I'm breaking out of it, but nope it's been almost 3wks of a stall. In the past 3wks Ive lost 3lbs. It sucks so bad. I am meeting my Protein goal, but not meeting Water goal.

I seen my doc on Friday and he told me to progress into anything I wanted to eat as long as I could tolerate it. I've been eating chicken, tilapia, salmon, tuna, crab, shrimp. I haven't had red meats yet, but he gave the the ok for it. Ive been weighing out 3oz of all of the above. I need to up my carb intake thats why I've been a raging ****** lol. I asked him how many carbs should i be doing. He said anywhere from 15-30carbs a meal at 5-6meals a day so that should be like 75-180 carbs in a day. Well ive been getting 15-30carbs total for A DAY. He was like whoa yes i can see how that would effect you and your attitude and your lack of energy. So I have been trying to up my carb intake plus protein I've read that gets you out of the stall.

But since i am not losing weight i did retake my measurements I measured myself from the start of the bariatric process when i was getting all my testing done and I have lost 27inches total. Biggest loss was my waist of 8inches. I was pretty happy about that. So we will see how these next few weeks go. My doc said don't worry too much about weightloss right now. I'll lose no matter what I eat, but if I'm not losing more weight by month 3 then there is a problem and we will asses.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgery date was the day before yours. I have been taking my time moving from one step to the other. It's been fairly easy because I'm not hungry.

When I was moving from liquids to pureed food, I had pureed once or day - or not at all. I overlapped from step to step.

When I saw my doctor 2 weeks ago, I told him what I was doing. He was fine with it. He'd rather I took my time rather than trying to move too fast.

He had a patient who 2 weeks... TWO WEEKS... after surgery decided to indulge in PIZZA!! Not only that - she had TWO PIECES!!! Man, I felt my tummy explode just THINKING about that! She ended up in the ER! WOW!!

So far, I have lost 44 pounds. I have a feeling I might be taking my time so I'll keep losing. Today, I tried some grilled chicken. 3 tiny bites, and I was full.

Edited by NancyLF

My doctor is the opposite of yours. He likes to start you on solids fast he said some people take to long to progress so he likes you to if you can tolerate it. Which is good for me because I am always hungry. Which is good and bad. Good because I am eating 5-6meals like I'm suppose to, but bad cause I feel like I'm always starving lol. I'm getting about 700 calories a day. He said he wants me to get atleast 900-1000 a day. Which even with me eating 5-6 meals i don't get there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

July 29th surgery here, down 33 pounds so far but have not weighed in a week so hoping it’s more! I feel pretty good and eating solid foods for the most part. Focusing on Protein and Water intake is a struggle some times especially if you are trying to watch calories. It was easier to manage on shakes and things but my dr wants me on food now instead of shakes so that’s my focus!

Before my surgery I ordered & tried a variety of Protein Shakes from the BP Store. I enjoyed most of them. I ordered my favorites for post-op meals. My problem- my taste buds have changed & they now taste much too sweet! UGH!

Oh, well.

I'm so confused. I had RNY on 7/25. It has now been over a month and my weight loss is 16 lbs TOTAL since surgery date. The first 2 to 3 weeks I ranged in calories from 100 to 340 calories. The following weeks I'm under 600.

I have been walking 1 to 1.5 miles twice a week with my daughter. I am now back in the pool and I work out and also play - but our Water volleyball games are intense workouts. It is actually surprising. My 'fit' family and friends even get worn out. So no, I'm not yet exercising every day. My right knee is torn up still but I have been able to sustain/keep pushing through the pain for the small walks we are attempting.

I also did not win the 'no hunger' lottery. Seems that many do not. I had true stomach hunger return on either day 2 or 3. At first I chalked it up to stomach acid, etc. but now even almost 5 weeks out, I can almost always discern the difference between head and stomach hunger vs stomach acid. I also have tried to ensure I stay as hydrated as possible.

I just needed to come here to VENT. We all know that...these first 3 to 6 months are what...the honeymoon period? The period where the most weight is lost? My dr. recommended RNY for me as I had such a LARGE amt to lose. Now I have those doubts creeping in saying "see, no matter what you do...you are always going to be the slowest loser"..."you just rearranged your anatomy to lose less in 1 month than you did in the first month of doing Keto 12 months ago"...."you had RNY to ensure a larger weight loss and ppl within same age and almost same weight range are losing double, triple, what you did".

I am struggling mentally and physically. I am INCREDIBLY DISAPPOINTED. I have narrowed search for therapists down to 2 so that SHOULD help but I've missed so much work lately that it will be a couple of weeks before I can schedule an appt.

I've gone back to tracking the macros on ANYTHING that I eat or drink to ensure extra calories aren't creeping into what I'm doing...and so far my tracking (am SUPER analytical about it) only backs up the fact that I SHOULD be losing more weight, especially as I was probably the most sedentary person you ever saw prior to surgery and I've incorporated actual ACTIVITY finally. I go with daughter also to stores when the heat is too high to walk outside.

All I get from dr's office is 'you will lose more weight after you are fully healed' REALLY?!! Then why are all my July siblings and other friends on here blowing my weight loss out of the water by such a significant amount? We are ALL healing.

Forgive me for not being more positive. I haven't been posting as I've been so distressed and didn't feel I had anything helpful to say but then I remembered that this forum is for me as well...so yeah...nothing great to add for me but I REALLY REALLY needed to get my frustrations out and my deep dark..makes me sick to my stomach feeling..that I have just 'yet again' done something that won't work.

You'd think that the more than 1 yr of head work I did with other counselors and doctors would have helped out more with this thinking..but as a former person in 'recovery', I know all too well that you can have multiple years behind you and have 'stinking thinking' come creeping back in.

15 minutes ago, KarenLR75 said:

I'm so confused. I had RNY on 7/25. It has now been over a month and my weight loss is 16 lbs TOTAL since surgery date. The first 2 to 3 weeks I ranged in calories from 100 to 340 calories. The following weeks I'm under 600.

That sounds super frustrating, Karen.

However, I believe your surgeon's office is probably right. I'm in a similar boat. I'm sleeve, but have only lost 15.2 lbs since surgery on 7/31. The last week I've only lost 1.5lbs and I've been walking 3 miles a day and only eating about 600 calories. However, I think we're simply victims of the 3rd week Stall everyone keeps talking about.

Have you tried taking your measurements? I happen to have noticed I look better in the mirror and it's only been SINCE that stall began. When I took measurements they were down quite a bit.

I don't pretend to understand the science of it, but I've taken to heart some of the advice in the stall forum which says to stop looking at the scale and just keep on keeping on and eventually things will catch up. If there were a serious problem, your weight loss center would be flagging it for you. If they aren't concerned, neither should we be, I think.

😃

2 minutes ago, darcyjae said:

The last week I've only lost 1.5lbs and I've been walking 3 miles a day and only eating about 600 calories

Wow, gal...you are working it with walking 3 miles a day!! Yes, your calories are right on spot with mine. I haven't even finished reading your post as I was just so....enthused about how much you are walking. I am admiring you.

I can tell I'm not completely flatly down as I actually get bursts of joy from reading the achievements of others. Even when I envy the weight loss...it never stops the surge of joy I feel for what each person is accomplishing.

Sorry for quick reply...going back to read the rest of what you posted.