Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2019 Surgery Siblings Post-Op

These are great! I bought the variety pack off Amazon. I love all of the flavors. They have one that taste like an almond joy bar and a maple donut flavor [emoji4]

5'4"
Starting weight 297
VSG on 7/31/19 265
CW 250
GW 135

Sent from my [samsung Galaxy] using BariatricPal mobile app

Ooo! I have to get that! I loveeeeee Almond Joys!

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey All! I had my VSG on Wednesday, 7/31. Had a hernia repair along with it. Hernia repair pressure was intense, i remember waking up with it in PACU, Nurse gave me a shot, it went away and I barely remember the ride up to my room and then drifting in and out for several hours. I was discharged on 8/2. Had pretty much just incisional pain, occasional bouts of nausea out of the blue, no heaving or vomiting. Definitely had some esophageal spasms for about 4 days but those have went away except for a random one here or there.

Had to journey to the mall on saturday 8/3 with my girl scout troop (my daughter is a daisy and I'm one of the leaders) for their build-a-bear party. Spent a total of 3 hours there along with my son doing the girl scout stuff and school clothes shopping for both kiddos. It feels like I've been on the go for the most part since surgery. Energy level is a bout the same as it was pre-op. I've pretty much slept on my tummy since the 2nd night home.

Monday after surgery I turned a corner- haven't taken any nausea or narcotic pain meds since then. I've been able to take normal size drinks since then as well. Getting a Protein Shake down daily. Total Fluid intake is anywhere from 35-60 oz a day- just depends. The hospital gave me instructions of full liquids until my 2 week post-op appointment. I was struggling with that the end of this week- everything is sweet- shakes, popsicles, Jello, flavored water. Okay with broths but with little to no Protein content I tried adding Protein Powder to it and while it doesn't alter the taste very much it was like drinking gravy and I couldn't do it LOL. And some Soups are just not meant to be blended down.

Friday night i figured I was going to push my luck since I've tolerated some thicker, blended soups and went and got some refried beans- The restaurant I got them from serves them very mushy, almost like a thick Soup that the broth has simmered off. Trialed 1/4 cup over 20+ minutes. Oh my gosh, amazing. It hit the spot and since then my Protein Shakes have been way more tolerable. I have my first followup on Thursday where i'm sure i'll be updgraded to soft texture foods. My best friend had her VSG 2 weeks before me, same MD and hospital, given the same instructions, and at her 1st post-op they asked her how she was doing on soft foods and she was like "they told me full liquids for 2 weeks until I saw you."

So if we are able to transition to soft foods after a week or 10 days the hospital lost that in their discharge teaching and printed instructions. As for results so far I went into the hospital weighing 234. Came home weighing 237 and as of this morning I was 223. 14lbs if you count the Water weight, 11lbs going from my pre-op weight. Can't wait to see where this journey takes us!

Hey All! I had my VSG on Wednesday, 7/31. Had a hernia repair along with it. Hernia repair pressure was intense, i remember waking up with it in PACU, Nurse gave me a shot, it went away and I barely remember the ride up to my room and then drifting in and out for several hours. I was discharged on 8/2. Had pretty much just incisional pain, occasional bouts of nausea out of the blue, no heaving or vomiting. Definitely had some esophageal spasms for about 4 days but those have went away except for a random one here or there.
Had to journey to the mall on saturday 8/3 with my girl scout troop (my daughter is a daisy and I'm one of the leaders) for their build-a-bear party. Spent a total of 3 hours there along with my son doing the girl scout stuff and school clothes shopping for both kiddos. It feels like I've been on the go for the most part since surgery. Energy level is a bout the same as it was pre-op. I've pretty much slept on my tummy since the 2nd night home.

Monday after surgery I turned a corner- haven't taken any nausea or narcotic pain meds since then. I've been able to take normal size drinks since then as well. Getting a Protein Shake down daily. Total Fluid intake is anywhere from 35-60 oz a day- just depends. The hospital gave me instructions of full liquids until my 2 week post-op appointment. I was struggling with that the end of this week- everything is sweet- shakes, popsicles, Jello, flavored water. Okay with broths but with little to no Protein content I tried adding Protein Powder to it and while it doesn't alter the taste very much it was like drinking gravy and I couldn't do it LOL. And some Soups are just not meant to be blended down.

Friday night i figured I was going to push my luck since I've tolerated some thicker, blended Soups and went and got some refried beans- The restaurant I got them from serves them very mushy, almost like a thick Soup that the broth has simmered off. Trialed 1/4 cup over 20+ minutes. Oh my gosh, amazing. It hit the spot and since then my Protein Shakes have been way more tolerable. I have my first followup on Thursday where i'm sure i'll be updgraded to soft texture foods. My best friend had her VSG 2 weeks before me, same MD and hospital, given the same instructions, and at her 1st post-op they asked her how she was doing on soft foods and she was like "they told me full liquids for 2 weeks until I saw you."

So if we are able to transition to soft foods after a week or 10 days the hospital lost that in their discharge teaching and printed instructions. As for results so far I went into the hospital weighing 234. Came home weighing 237 and as of this morning I was 223. 14lbs if you count the Water weight, 11lbs going from my pre-op weight. Can't wait to see where this journey takes us!
I felt just like you with the too sweet everything and I made the mistake of adding more Protein to the broth and yuck! I couldn't do broth after that. Luckily before I left the hospital my surgeon told me to start puree stage the following week. I was like oookay? Since all the materials say you're on liquids the first 2wks after surgery. Then I went in for my 2wk visit and my surgeon was out so that doctor was like how is the liquids going? I said I was told by my surgeon to start purees after week one. He was like okay that's fine your surgeon does like to progress his patients faster. I was like feeeeeeew! I thought i was gonna get chastise for it lol. But I'm so glad I got to start purees because I was gonna hurl with another day of nothing but sweets!

Hey siblings,

I'm a bit bummed right now. My weight is actually up 1.5 lbs from my current 'profile weight'. I had RNY on 7/25.

I've stuck to liquids like a madwoman. I've tracked intake on various days of ea week. I've averaged anywhere from 100 calories a day to 340. Ironically the 1st week after surgery I was closer to 300 calorie mark and then I had issues with nausea, feeling tight restriction even when only drinking few oz's, etc. so I dropped down to 100 calories or less for about 4 days.

Ended up getting 2 bags of IV fluids last Thurs Wasn't on an IV for 24 hours, etc. I knew I'd have some 'water weight' gain from 2 bags of IV fluids but scale has not budged from current gain (Waited 3 days to weigh hoping I'd get some Water off).

So am almost 3 wks out with only a 10 lb loss to show. Was SO looking forward to pureed foods as I've been on liquids FOREVER, but now am terrified I'll eat pureed foods and start gaining. I plan to keep pureed (plus any shake supplementation) down to a bare minimum of calories/fat/carbs (of course Protein is my main focus).

Weird, while I was typing this my dr called!! Said he wants me to start taking some bites of food tomorrow. He said avocado, eggs, etc. I was like..um...puree stuff. he said 'no, real bites'. LOL..I told him I'd do whatever he asked lol...as I"m staring at HIS list for the pureed phase which I was supposed to start this Thursday.

GAH! I just realized I'm posting as I'm so nervous about what will happen when I add purees (and I know tracking is crucial, at least it is to me..it gives me comfort)..and now he said 'start tomorrow'. Oh sweet baby Jesus...

I am seriously so happy that my siblings are doing so well but I must admit I'm becoming very sad and bewildered.

Ooo! I have to get that! I loveeeeee Almond Joys!

They are the almond bliss flavored one bars.

5'4"
Starting weight 297
VSG on 7/31/19 265
CW 250
GW 135

Sent from my [samsung Galaxy] using BariatricPal mobile app

What are you guys month 2 goals? I haven’t set them ALL yet but two are to continue to close all three rings every day and to make it on the top 20 board at our gym. There’s a board when you walk in with the prior months most active members. It’s not because I want anyone else to see my name it’s more for validation for myself and every time I walk in and see my name up there I’ll keep pushing to stay there!

Hey siblings,
I'm a bit bummed right now. My weight is actually up 1.5 lbs from my current 'profile weight'. I had RNY on 7/25.
I've stuck to liquids like a madwoman. I've tracked intake on various days of ea week. I've averaged anywhere from 100 calories a day to 340. Ironically the 1st week after surgery I was closer to 300 calorie mark and then I had issues with nausea, feeling tight restriction even when only drinking few oz's, etc. so I dropped down to 100 calories or less for about 4 days.
Ended up getting 2 bags of IV fluids last Thurs Wasn't on an IV for 24 hours, etc. I knew I'd have some 'water weight' gain from 2 bags of IV fluids but scale has not budged from current gain (Waited 3 days to weigh hoping I'd get some Water off).
So am almost 3 wks out with only a 10 lb loss to show. Was SO looking forward to pureed foods as I've been on liquids FOREVER, but now am terrified I'll eat pureed foods and start gaining. I plan to keep pureed (plus any shake supplementation) down to a bare minimum of calories/fat/carbs (of course Protein is my main focus).
Weird, while I was typing this my dr called!! Said he wants me to start taking some bites of food tomorrow. He said avocado, eggs, etc. I was like..um...puree stuff. he said 'no, real bites'. LOL..I told him I'd do whatever he asked lol...as I"m staring at HIS list for the pureed phase which I was supposed to start this Thursday.
GAH! I just realized I'm posting as I'm so nervous about what will happen when I add purees (and I know tracking is crucial, at least it is to me..it gives me comfort)..and now he said 'start tomorrow'. Oh sweet baby Jesus...
I am seriously so happy that my siblings are doing so well but I must admit I'm becoming very sad and bewildered.
You'll lose no matter what. You're only getting in like 300 calories. When i moved to purees my calories went to 400-500 calories. I was still losing, but be warned there normally is a week 3 stall so don't think its your purees thats stopping you. Your body is just adjusting. I just got out of a stall it was week 2 maybe 2-7 I stalled. I finally dropped another pound last night.

Hello, July Siblings!
I had my RNY on July 3, so I'm about 6 weeks post-op. I began this journey at 311 lbs (pic on right) and weighed in at 242 at my last dr visit (pic on left).
I'm pretty excited about my success, so far. I've had minor challenges along the way, but nothing discouraging. I'm still learning about my new normal and trying to enjoy every step of this process.
I love reading about your successes and seeing your progress pics, so keep them coming! 20190810_150250.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

You'll lose no matter what. You're only getting in like 300 calories. When i moved to purees my calories went to 400-500 calories. I was still losing, but be warned there normally is a week 3 stall so don't think its your purees thats stopping you. Your body is just adjusting. I just got out of a stall it was week 2 maybe 2-7 I stalled. I finally dropped another pound last night.

I agree I stalled at week 3, in in weeks 6 now and i finally lost again.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I’m Day 16 post op. 25lb down. I also started body contour massages and I’m wearing a girdle similar to those used post plastic surgery to avoid sagging skin as much as I can. Still struggling with my daily goal of 60gr of Protein. image-0.00095367431640625.thumb.jpg.5cfea423a54ccf96c1acda12971cbe7d.jpg
image0.0.thumb.jpg.4e343bd16ad81055d11f503f35f1fb7f.jpg
Your doing amazing!

We had our 1 month post op weigh in Friday. Before we had this surgery we made a pact that if we were spending all the money to do this we were DOING IT “like a boss”. Following the plan, working the program, working our asses off in the gym, and leaning on each other for support when we need it. When one feels too tired to work out or too lazy to meal prep properly the other pulls them back. We push each other every day and I can’t imagine having gone through this alone without that support.
Surgery Day 7/9/19 - 340 & 290 lbs
Friday 8/9/19 - 271 & 241 lbs
Total loss since surgery- 68 & 49 lbs

Amazing! Your both putting in the work and its showing in your results. Xxx

18 hours ago, KarenLR75 said:

Hey siblings,

Youre likely stalled and thats normal. Here are some ideas to remember if you weight jumps up a little, don't panic

793541564_Screenshot_2019-08-07-01-22-572.png.fa71ebb3b0dbd14ce7e3766509643578.png

IV Fluid usually have a lot of sodium. Also dehydration will cause you to hold on to excess Water (because you really need it)

Give it a week you'll see a difference 💜

Hi Siblings

So far weightloss is modest for which in am grateful.

I am a conversion from VSG to RNY.

I went from 157lbs day of surgery 7/15/19 to 168lbs when I went home 2 days later to 148lbs yesterday. So ive lost 9 lbs of fat in 5 weeks

My surgeon projected additional weight loss to be capped at 10-15%, so I'm right on track

Edited by GreenTealael

Anyone else suffering from mood swings? I am getting super annoyed really easy. I just want to be left alone and when someone comes and bothers me (kids or hubby) I get really annoyed. I don't know why and I'm normally not that way. My husband noticed it and so did I. It seemed to have started this passed Saturday. I was wondering if maybe I'm gonna start my period... I just don't know (I have PCOS so my periods are wonky and come when they want to come normally months apart).

My doctor left small pieces of bandage tape on my scars and told me to let them fall off naturally. Did anyone else get that? If so, has yours fallen off yet? At what day? Mine seem to really be hanging on!