Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scheduled for Sleeve but thinking about Bypass instead?

Tomorrow I see my surgeon for my last visit before surgery, which will be 10 days later. Originally I chose the sleeve because I felt it was the better option for me. But now I'm scared I'm making the wrong choice. I'm scared to develop GERD. I don't have GERD now, but sometimes I do get reflux maybe once every two week or so seems like when I eat meats. I've had GERD bad when I was pregnant. To the point I was constantly throwing up all the time because of all the acid in my throat which cause it to bleed. I had to take Prilosec a majority of my pregnancy. I don't know if I'm over thinking it and I'll likely be fine. The first time I seen my surgeon he seen my enrollment paperwork and I had mentioned the occasional reflux so when he seen me he told me that the sleeve might cause the reflux to worsen. But if worst case and meds don't help he could do a bypass... which I don't want to get the sleeve then end up needing the bypass. UGH! What would you guys do?!?!?! Chance it and go with the sleeve or just do the bypass?

It's not a guarantee you won't get gerd after getting the sleeve. That being said I also had heartburn at the end stages of both my pregnancies and the occasional heartburn after eating certain foods or overeating right before bed. It never occurred when I was thin so I determined that the cause was the abdominal pressure. I have not had any reflux or heartburn since my surgery, not to say it won't happen in the future but so far so good. Talk to your Dr. in depth about your concerns and ask him/her how many revisions they've had to do because of gerd so you can make the most educated decision you can.

I am taking Dexilant for GERD and have recently halved the dose and I don't have any regrets. I was scheduled for RNY and changed it to the sleeve .

If there is any possibility that you may be prone to reflux I would dismiss the sleeve and go straight to rny

From the research I did, I found the sleeve has less complications than other ones. Also the part of the stomach they remove has a hormone that send signals to your brain to eat even when you are not hungry. Good luck on which ever you choose to have 😊

7 minutes ago, Nancy doing this all for me said:

From the research I did, I found the sleeve has less complications than other ones. Also the part of the stomach they remove has a hormone that send signals to your brain to eat even when you are not hungry. Good luck on which ever you choose to have 😊

Thanks I think I'm going with the sleeve I just want to know was it hard to drink 64oz of Water and 60mg of Protein the first 4 weeks.

1 hour ago, Carrunda webb said:

Mu cousin suggested I do the by pass but I want the sleeve the thought of rerouting your intestines is scarey

And the thought of having most of your stomach chopped off and thrown away never to be seen again isn't?

If you are prone to reflux, bypass is a better option.
Sleeve is not an “easier” surgery. The are both very invasive

I originally was planning to have the sleeve but in all my research I discovered that there is a good possibility that my already significant GERD could be made worse...and that with the bypass, the GERD is typically lessened or cured. I'm having the Bypass in just over a week.

Definitely talk it over with your surgeon but i'd go with the bypass.

7 hours ago, Nancy doing this all for me said:

a majority of people lose their hunger for several months - up to a year - with both surgeries. I don't think there is any difference with this "side effect".

Either one is a good choice.

I spoke with him and he said that since i don't have it frequently and its a good sign that my reflux went away after pregnancy. He looked at my upper GI and it said no reflux was indicated during the procedure so he thinks the sleeve would be the best option for me. That when I lose weight it will also relieve more pressure off my stomach and its even lesser percentage that i would develop it. So I'm gonna stick with the sleeve and like he said if it gets bad we can always do the bypass.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Good luck hope it goes well but there are many ppl now having to revise from sleeve to bypass

Good luck hope it goes well but there are many ppl now having to revise from sleeve to bypass
I know I was noticing and that's what brought up my concerns. My doctor said there was a 14% chance of developing it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app