Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How easy is it to stretch out the gastric sleeve pouch? I am 3 1/2 months out and feel like I can eat more than 1/2 cup to 1 cup per serving. Some days I do have “small” pouch days though. Anyone else experience these sensations this soon?

Your pouch will relax over time and its highly unlikely that you have stretched it out. I would imagine people that do stretch there pouches would be binge eaters and do it over and over again ( my personal opinion ) I was told they don't stretch but on an episode of My 600 lb life Dr. Now said one of his patients had stretched their pouch. Just stick to the guidelines your surgeon gave you. Good luck

I have had 2 different bariatric surgeons tell me that the pouch and indeed be stretched. This is one of the important reasons that you should stick to plan and be sure not to eat more than what your dr tells you to eat at each meal.

I too am able to eat more than I should. I feared that my pouch was stretched. I had an egd recently and found out that mine is not stretched.

I guess my concern is that I don’t get to that point where I am uncomfortable once I finish my portion but I also don’t feel super full either. I guess I’m learning that my body can be satisfied by not being overly stuffed from food. It’s just alarming because I was expecting to have the restriction I did when I first had surgery. I would take 3 bites and I’d be full. Now, I can finish my portion.

2 minutes ago, bbbro said:

I guess my concern is that I don’t get to that point where I am uncomfortable once I finish my portion but I also don’t feel super full either. I guess I’m learning that my body can be satisfied by not being overly stuffed from food. It’s just alarming because I was expecting to have the restriction I did when I first had surgery. I would take 3 bites and I’d be full. Now, I can finish my portion.

How do you feel when you eat 3 oz of chicken, fish, pork, or beef ? Things like that still fill me up pretty quickly

I would ❤to ever get that much in at a time, but you know ME, I'm the Case of Arrested Development over in Bypass-ville, and some Days I envy everyone else. August 14th I have my next Bariatric Clinic , haven't been seen there for 4 months, their Choice, not Mine and A Tantrum may be Thrown, Benign Neglect does not set well with Madame Frustr8 and. I am willing. to Tell Them So!

YOU CANNOT STRETCH/DILATE out your sleeve to anything remotely close to its original size.

From LapSF/Dr. Criangle: The removed section of the stomach is actually the portion that stretches the most. The long vertical tube shaped stomach that remains is the portion least likely to expand over time and it creates significant resistance to volumes of food.

The fundus is ALL but removed with VSG. The fundus is the upper most part of the stomach's greater curvature. The fundus is:
1) the stomach's stretchy/expandable tissue, capable of expanding 2-3xs its resting 'unfilled' size
2) the pre-op 'mass quantities' of food, waiting to be digested, storage section
3) where 70% of the body's grehlin a "hunger hormone" is produced.
Stretching, due to overeating is most common in RNY because more of the stretchy fundus part of the stomach is retained to make the 'pouch'.

I was sore and tired for a good 2 to 4 weeks. I was also very excited !

13 hours ago, bbbro said:

How easy is it to stretch out the gastric sleeve pouch? I am 3 1/2 months out and feel like I can eat more than 1/2 cup to 1 cup per serving. Some days I do have “small” pouch days though. Anyone else experience these sensations this soon?

Sounds like you are in the norm at three months out to me. What you are describing is common for the sleeve. Your restriction relaxes you progress out from surgery. (it’s not back to full size) It’s a bit alarming when you experience this sensation for yourself, Right? *If anyone thinks they stretched their pouch have it diagnosed by a surgeon* (its rare)

I hit two points where I notice my restriction was less. 3rd month and again in my 6th month. If you are following your plan and staying within your weight loss calories and macros, you will continue to lose weight.

I am just hitting three weeks and I feel just fine. I can't eat over an ounce at one sitting but I just hit puréed foods. I hope to get more than a couple bites in when the food just starts tasting good.

On 7/11/2019 at 11:19 PM, Bari_KS said:

YOU CANNOT STRETCH/DILATE out your sleeve to anything remotely close to its original size.

From LapSF/Dr. Criangle: The removed section of the stomach is actually the portion that stretches the most. The long vertical tube shaped stomach that remains is the portion least likely to expand over time and it creates significant resistance to volumes of food.

The fundus is ALL but removed with VSG. The fundus is the upper most part of the stomach's greater curvature. The fundus is:
1) the stomach's stretchy/expandable tissue, capable of expanding 2-3xs its resting 'unfilled' size
2) the pre-op 'mass quantities' of food, waiting to be digested, storage section
3) where 70% of the body's grehlin a "hunger hormone" is produced.
Stretching, due to overeating is most common in RNY because more of the stretchy fundus part of the stomach is retained to make the 'pouch'.

if you watch my 600 pound life one of the patients who had gastric sleeve stretched out his pouch so much he gained 188 pounds in 2 months the first time.. and gained 266 pounds in 2 months another time..you can stretch out your pouch by a lot...

23 minutes ago, johnedwin said:

if you watch my 600 pound life one of the patients who had gastric sleeve stretched out his pouch so much he gained 188 pounds in 2 months the first time.. and gained 266 pounds in 2 months another time..you can stretch out your pouch by a lot...

What??? stretched out his pouch so much he gained 188 pounds in 2 months ???.

Think of how much food you would have to binge eat in one sitting to stretch your surgery. I wish they would screen better for eating disorders. This person should have been denied until they got counseling. I wonder why he didn’t contact his team after a 50-pound gain?

Stretching is possible but rare. Get it diagnosed by a surgeon.

Most people that gain eat around their surgery with grazing. It’s easy to eat small meals of healthy/unhealthy choices all day long that total over your weight loss/maintaining calories. Enough calories that it’s like you never had surgery 3000+. You also don’t feel your surgery restriction when you graze/eat small meals.