Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

🔔 UPDATES 🔔 UPDATES 🔔 UPDATES 🔔

It's been a while for updates because of end of summer madness with my BF relocating out of state and prepping kids for school 😳

A few weeks ago i noticed that a could not advance my diet on schedule without vomiting or foamies. I went from 153 to 146 very quickly. This was not ideal.

I thought it was new food intolerances but after one weekend of vomiting all day (even fluids) I left a message for my Surgeon but went to the ER. (Surgeon was unavailable because of the birth of his daughter 😍)

They performed an emergency Endoscopy at my persistence and the Gastro MD thought to have seen esophageal webbing. I was beyond stressed over this new development.

A few days later with still random vomiting/foamies my surgeon ordered another Endoscopy and possible Dilatation.

I wanted to enjoy the rest of my summer so I postponed it for a bit went on a spontaneous mini vacay to visit my BF for a week. The got my kids settled for school. I experienced the same symptoms the entire time, but the trip and delay was worth it.

Yesterday was the Endo/Dilatation done by my Surgical's practice head surgeon. I cannot stress how important it is for someone familiar with you, your new anatomy and the procedure to perform your diagnostic testing.

I did not have webbing (a rare congenital conditions that signifies a rare disorder/precancer possibilities) 🙌, I developed a stricture. Apparently my body loves to scar and constrict.

Dilatation was performed and will be repeated in a few weeks, but SO FAR SO GOOD. I will advance my diet slowly and see how it goes.

📣📣My Public Service Announcement📣📣:

Folks, please don't dismiss ANY symptoms as just being normal. Go to your team and voice your concerns and above all go with knowledgeable practitioners.

Edited by GreenTealael

Yay for pushing through and enjoying end of summer and on getting this super serious condition taken care of. So glad you don't have webbing!!!! Wooot!!! Heal quickly! ((hugs))

Thanks! Honestly the symptoms of the stricture wasn't as bad as some have described (plus ive already dealt with stricture when i had VSG) so I feel fortunate

The Dilatation was easy peasy. No pain or problems followed.

Edited by GreenTealael

[emoji348] UPDATES [emoji348] UPDATES [emoji348] UPDATES [emoji348]
It's been a while for updates because of end of summer madness with my BF relocating out of state and prepping kids for school [emoji15]
A few weeks ago i noticed that a could not advance my diet on schedule without vomiting or foamies. I went from 153 to 146 very quickly. This was not ideal.
I thought it was new food intolerances but after one weekend of vomiting all day (even fluids) I left a message for my Surgeon but went to the ER. (Surgeon was unavailable because of the birth of his daughter [emoji7])
They performed an emergency Endoscopy at my persistence and the Gastro MD thought to have seen esophageal webbing. I was beyond stressed over this new development.
A few days later with still random vomiting/foamies my surgeon ordered another Endoscopy and possible Dilatation.
I wanted to enjoy the rest of my summer so I postponed it for a bit went on a spontaneous mini vacay to visit my BF for a week. The got my kids settled for school. I experienced the same symptoms the entire time, but the trip and delay was worth it.
Yesterday was the Endo/Dilatation done by my Surgical's practice head surgeon. I cannot stress how important it is for someone familiar with you, your new anatomy and the procedure to perform your diagnostic testing.
I did not have webbing (a rare congenital conditions that signifies a rare disorder/precancer possibilities) [emoji119], I developed a stricture. Apparently my body loves to scar and constrict.
Dilatation was performed and will be repeated in a few weeks, but SO FAR SO GOOD. I will advance my diet slowly and see how it goes.
[emoji351][emoji351]My Public Service Announcement[emoji351][emoji351]:
Folks, please don't dismiss ANY symptoms as just being normal. Go to your team and voice your concerns and above all go with knowledgeable practitioners.
Congratulations on figuring things out!! Your tenacity is laudable [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]
Wishing you continued success and healing!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh wow, glad to hear the stricture is being sorted. You've had a bit of a rough time of it hon! *hugs* from one Semitic sister to another...

Hoping that all goes well for you now. My revision is scheduled for tomorrow at 11am. The info that you have shared is invaluable to me. Thanks so much!

On 9/7/2019 at 7:32 PM, ummyasmin said:

Oh wow, glad to hear the stricture is being sorted. You've had a bit of a rough time of it hon! *hugs* from one Semitic sister to another...

Thank you! Not too bad actually. I feel like an endoscopy pro now 😂

1 hour ago, Losingit2018 said:

Hoping that all goes well for you now. My revision is scheduled for tomorrow at 11am. The info that you have shared is invaluable to me. Thanks so much!

I have experienced marked improvement already! Good Luck tomorrow!

10 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Thank you! Not too bad actually. I feel like an endoscopy pro now 😂

I have experienced marked improvement already! Good Luck tomorrow!

Thank you. Insurance approval did not come through in time. Rescheduled for October 10.

Ok here's the details on why I needed a revision:
1. Stricture at Incisera/spiraled sleeve- confirmed through testing and in surgery (no way to fix both issues without revision surgery)
2. GERD- I NEVER had it prior to surgery. It was a side effect. It was caused (surgeon believes) by the stricture I had at the incisera. This was confirmed through endo and surgery.
3. Hiatal Hernia- no explanation needed.
4. Gastritis- had this prior to first surgery and never resolved itself but hopefully now it will
5. Adhesions- plenty and plenty and plenty that NEEDED to be removed.

Here's why youve never heard about any of these things until now:
I still lost weight with the issues i had...
They did not stop me from making better choices and working hard with the hand i was given. Plus complaining here would just scare people out of something that could benedit them immensely. I did all of my wailing to my surgeons and they took my concerns seriously.

Hope this helps someone. These complications especially clustered like this are rare. Surgery was still completely worthwhile. This may never ever happen to you. You do not have to fail at WL because of complications. You do not have to regain because of complications. You DO have to check in with your team and make them aware so they can help you.
Thanks for sharing this as I too have gastritis and the hernia. I'm having the revision because I'm not losing any more weight, I'm slowly gaining. I initially lost 99lbs. with my band, and kept the weight off a good two and a half years. My arthritis started acting up, was put on meds, and the rest is history.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm also happy to see that you are recovering well. Thank you for sharing your story. [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I see that since I was last on you have lost more weight. I, like you am having the revision strictly to take care of a problem. I've lost and maintained my weight for over 12 years. I'm scheduled to having the RNY revision the middle of December. I have concerns of gaining and or losing too much weight. I believe I remember correctly you gained a few pounds at first due to the IV fluids, am I correct?

It's been so many years since I had the original surgery that I'm meeting with the nutrition the day before the surgery to ensure I do everything the right way. I know for the first week or so I'm on Clear Liquids, then gradually increase the consistency of my foods per doctor's instructions. How long did it take you to get back to regular food? Also, with the sleeve I wasn't required to take an abundance of Vitamins, but I understand I will need to with the RNY. How did you take those during the first stage of clear liquids only. Currently, due to being malnourished I am taking multi-vitamins, Vitamin D, Calcium, probotics multiple times a day. All with the exception of the Vitamin D are chew able.

Hope you are doing well! Your post have been very encouraging. I too, do not want to discourage anyone. I had a lot of fluke things that have happened to cause my issues. I've had a lot of stress in the last 5 years that have probably not helped issues. I truly believe the sleeve has saved my life. I had a stroke 5 years ago. If I had weighed as much as I did before the sleeve I was told I would probably have had major problems. Luckily, I had no long lasting issues. I'm only required to take blood thinners for the rest of my life. So, I do not regret the sleeve one bit.

Again, thanks for your updates!

📣📣📣📣📣📣 MORE UPDATES 📣📣📣📣📣📣

It's been a month since dilatation and I'm very happy to announce very few incidents have occurred since 💃

I have to be careful not to eat too quickly and to chew EXTREMELY thoroughly. Also eating and talking is all fun and games until I have to Ralph 😒 ... So I've put the kibosh on that. It appears that I simply don't chew well enough when I'm engaged in heated debates 😥

I will continue to explore my food options but I'm ok staying on a tried and true path for a long while (no doughy textures at all) and I'm absolutely fine with that 😉

Vitamin go down fine, hydration is no concern, no real issues anymore 👏

As always, ask anything y'all would like will try my best to answer 💚

So, do you take liquid vitamins? My surgeon has told me that I will need to get any of my prescriptions that are large pills converted to liquid or be able to crush. Did you have to do that? How long were you on clear liquids?

Also, you and I are about the same size. Are you seeing the scales still moving down? If so, does your surgeon think that's just a temporary thing.

How long did it take before you went from clear liquids to actually eating foods? It's been 12 years for me and I can't remember. My dietician is meeting with me the day before the revision.

Praying my nerves will calm down over the next 9 weeks! I really did like my sleeve and hate that 12 years after the fact I started having problems. Praying the RNY will solve my problems. I'm ready to live life again!

29 minutes ago, WOLVESFAN1 said:

So, do you take liquid vitamins? My surgeon has told me that I will need to get any of my prescriptions that are large pills converted to liquid or be able to crush. Did you have to do that? How long were you on Clear Liquids?

Also, you and I are about the same size. Are you seeing the scales still moving down? If so, does your surgeon think that's just a temporary thing.

How long did it take before you went from clear liquids to actually eating foods? It's been 12 years for me and I can't remember. My dietician is meeting with me the day before the revision.

Praying my nerves will calm down over the next 9 weeks! I really did like my sleeve and hate that 12 years after the fact I started having problems. Praying the RNY will solve my problems. I'm ready to live life again!

No liquid vitamins for me, pills and chewables.

I was on liquids for maybe 2 weeks. I started with basic soft food progression just like VSG -yogurt cottage cheese etc

My goal was always to maintain. I dropped weight initially but regained it because I was prepared to.

I hope you achieve the results you desire 💚

Edited by GreenTealael