Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Delicious Soups, especially bean and split pea. I found some real tasty lentil Soup, as well. A spin in the blender and it is pureed. Soups are just so good - I still eat at lot of soup - it just goes down so well.

Dr. Brian, with all due respect, as a food addict I fully understand the need to have "palatable options" for eating. But let's examine the psychology of your question. OK?

You are looking for a "tasty" food fix. But that's the exact thing you want to try to find a way to overcome. It takes a mental re-framing. Instead of looking for rewarding food experiences, look for foods you tolerate, that offer deep nutrition or the biggest bang for your nutrition buck, and that stay down well and help heal your body.

Embrace BORING. Embrace low reward. Embrace KISS. Embrace interacting with your food as little as possible for as short a time-span as possible. Why? Cuz it's in the honeymoon phase that you have the ultimate opportunity to RESHAPE and reframe your relationship with food. Believe me, once your gut microbiome gets on board with your plan, you start to crave "boring" clean foods over the craptastic high-reward foods that got us our lifetime invitation to the Obesity Ball.

Embrace:

Protein Drinks (for now)

yogurt

low fat cottage cheese

soft scrambled eggs

tuna salad made with cottage cheese and mashed hb egg

soft boiled eggs

chicken salad made like the tuna salad

sf Jello

sf popsicles

And be done with it. Make it no-brainer repetition. Because all too soon, your struggle will get worse and then you will be asking for advice on how NOT to eat the slice of pizza or 3...

I come to you not judgementally, but as someone who has walked in that trench and has discovered new ways of thinking.

Hi Brian,

Check out this site I just found.

https://bariatricbits.com/bariatricnutrition/recipes/

Also, There is a YouTube channel called "timetoshrink" that has some really good recipes. Ricotta Bake, pureed Spinach and Artichoke dip, pureed Egg salad, Sweet Potato Puree, Buffalo chicken Dip Puree, Broccoli cheese Soup Puree, Refried Beans, Cottage cheese, and Mashed Potatoes thinned out with broth or low sodium gravy.
- On that channel the Buffalo chicken Dip Puree looks killer good :)

Craig

11 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

look for foods you tolerate, that offer deep nutrition or the biggest bang for your nutrition buck, and that stay down well and help heal your body.

Embrace BORING.

I think you are absolutely right, FluffyChix. We all need some variety, but getting the biggest nutritional bang has got to be a really high priority, as well as tolerating the choices. We have to learn to embrace the nutrition more than the taste. I like my Soups, for sure, because I can tolerate them, they are nutritious, and to me, they taste good, even when I doctor them with Protein Powder. (But no one else in the family is a big fan, because they are very basic and just not very glitzy as far a soups go.) I still have pretty limited choices in what I eat now - but they are densely nutritious and mildly boring. BORING is not bad - boring forces one to limit volume. One may love oatmeal, but if you ate oatmeal 3 times a day, you would not overeat it because it would be BORING.

I really like your statement about spending as little time as possible in the relationship with food. I admit that I have started to think about food way too much lately and have started snacking some. Thank you for the reminder about reframing the relationship. I need to practice the value of other activities more than eating when I get bored or emotional.

I understand the need of the original poster regarding palatability, however. In the early stages, it can be so hard to find ANYTHING that tastes good and stays down well. But that being said, our preferences can and will change over time and will become healthier the more we seek out healthy, non-processed, non artificial choices.

Yes I guess if we're going to be successful with this we have to embrace BORING .. but it can be done with good food choices and flavors that will make it easier .. I for one can't wait to make some split pea Soup .. one of my all time favorites..

5 hours ago, texasnewf said:

Yes I guess if we're going to be successful with this we have to embrace BORING .. but it can be done with good food choices and flavors that will make it easier .. I for one can't wait to make some split pea Soup .. one of my all time favorites..

Agreed. I don’t feel resentful of my real food simple choices!! It’s yummy! And I aim for100%compliance. But even planning for perfection the reality is I only manage to make great choices about 80 to 90% of the time! So imagine how much less the healthy choices would be if I spent a majority of my time planning comfort food meals that are extra tasty! Lol I already know I can eat twice as much quantity of cheesy ooey gooey casserole dishes or saucy dishes as I can lean dense Protein and veg! 😜🤪😘

Whoa I think we’re being a little tough on @drbriang here. Everyone’s journey is different there’s no reason he needs to sentence himself to a lifetime of bland and boring there are plenty of healthy nutritious options out there. He didn’t say he was looking to eat a pepperoni pizza all he asked for were some tasty suggestions.

So, here I am searching puréed stage because, like Brian, I am feeling good, and tolerating some purées now.

The poor guy came on here asking for some tasty foods. He didn’t say he was on here wanting a large cheese pizza or an everything bagel smothered in cream cheese, or French toast, pancakes and the like.

He simply came to a forum, that is here for people to get ideas, recipes, calms fears and rejoices in each other’s victories.

I’ve noticed a lot of being on your “high horse” recently on the forum, and it really needs to stop.

We all came here because we were fat and unhealthy. NO ONE is perfect.

DrBrian, I am 1 week and 4 days post op. I have tried Soups mostly, and can handle all of them. In fact, I had about 4oz of French onion Soup without the cheese and very little onion, and did great. I’ve also had about 2-3oz of chili.

Also, I am down 20lbs from my surgical weight today and neither of my decisions wanted me to go back to old ways of eating. I would have had the entire Soup and chili plus an entire meal before.

I start the purée soft foods Monday. I like to cook and normally make everything homemade. Think of what you like and how to adapt it. If you like tacos use some ground turkey, layer it with puréed Beans, a little cheese and sauce. If cooking for a family just pull a little out for yourself to adapt it. That’s what I will be doing. Maybe a little ground turkey or chopped up chicken or meat, a little ricotta filling, little cheese, maybe chopped spinach in it, a tad of sauce if you like. I make this dish with fake crab meat and it is delish. The veggies couldn’t really go in it but I lightly cook the crab in a skillet with garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder, I whip up some eggs or egg beaters, then turn the skillet low, pour the eggs on, then add a tad of mozzarella and shake cheese. (I normally add broccoli, onion, mushrooms). Same as stuffed peppers etc. just make it healthy and adapt. Good luck to you.

THANK YOU, GReat feedback, just recovering from a long trip (Funeral) and I ate safe foods, lost of Water.