Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need a f*#+ing drink

Soooooo I’m about a month and a half post op from rny and mamma needs a drank. How long did everyone wait?
I 'patiently' waited about four months. Finally had a drink and...... it was a terrible idea. Felt terrible. Instant regret. Even now at 9 months out drinking is no longer fun. The buzz comes on quick and leaves quick and you're left feeling sober and sick.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Danger Will Robinson!!

It sounds like this is way too important to you than it should be. Transfer addiction is a significant problem in the WLS world - this is where whatever addictive tendency we may have had toward food is transferred to something else (alcohol, drugs, gambling, shopping, etc.) in its absence. So, what was a casual occasional drink thing can easily become full blown alcoholism. You seriously need to find a way to not "need" it.

Sermon over. Doctors and programs vary widely on their directions for when it is OK to consume some alcohol, from a few weeks or months for the benefit of healing, to a year or two to prevent further liver damage (our livers tend to be in poor shape to begin with from our obesity - hence the common "liver shrinking" pre-op diets that are often imposed - and is further stressed by its role in metabolizing all the fat that we are losing, and it doesn't need the additional stress of metabolizing alcohol. Some go further to advise never again, for the transfer addiction reason.

Check with your surgeon's program directions and go from there.

4 months

I had a coffee nudge at 4 months, so about 2 weeks ago. I don't drink often so I was quite buzzed. Be careful and ask your Dr.

Edited by gabybab

I never drank much anyway but I am almost 1.5 years out from surgery. I had my first drink on July 4. It was just a half glass of white wine after dinner. I truly felt like I drank the entire bottle. Then I got bad reflux and felt bad in general until the next afternoon.

Everyone is different but proceed with caution is my opinion.

3 years

Um....I was told no booze for AT LEAST 1 yr.

Soooooo I’m about a month and a half post op from rny and mamma needs a drank. How long did everyone wait?
About a month. No issues for me.
Now I wait for the scolding comments back. [emoji16]

Not from me, you're an adult person capable of making and living with the choices you make. I do think you were one lucky duckie🐥to escape any ramifications. Will it always be that way? Can't really say, there few absolutes in life anyway.
Well honestly I haven't much drank in my adult life, if you have read my postings you know there are "small business men"aka,"moonshiners "on Daddy's side of the Family Tree. White lightening straight ---cures You of much aspiration to hard liquor. Yes I kept it down, didn't want to shame Daddy. by vomiting on my shoes or the ground. And no, this wasn't not Daddy's idea, in fact he was "up mift tree" about it, some shouting ensued when he found out what his doggone briothers were up to.
And if I had any aspirations to alcohol , remember my small dictator, Precious Pouch, she won't even sanction coffee, you know doggone well she wouldn't accept any hard or semi- hard drinks like THAT!

I had coffee with a week of surgery and every day since. I had small amounts of borboun and draft beers with a month of surgery with no problems. I can't handle soft drink carbonation but beer bubbles are no issue (Thank God!). Now just over 14 months since surgery and down 130 pounds and counting.

Im just a bypass newbie and havnt had a drink yet, but I smelled a glass of rosé when my husband and friend were drinking. It smelled wonderful! I couldnt drink it, but the smell was enough. I think I'll have to start seeing if I can find some good alcohol-free wines. In other words...an adventure begins!

PS. I tried coffee as well but it made my pouch really acidic.

Edited by Krestel

5 hours ago, rs said:

About a month. No issues for me.
Now I wait for the scolding comments back.

About the same for me- maybe 6 weeks.

About a month for me. I have to say that alcohol doesn't really agree with me any more though, which is a good thing. I'd rather pass on the empty calories.

I had wine two months out and I have a few glasses every weekend. I can tolerate it just fine like everything else, I’ve had zero issues. I loved wine before surgery and still do.