Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conversion to bypass

Hi there new to here. I am 2 weeks post sleeve op. I had a few problems but they seem to be getting better. I have read numerous conversations on here that say basically the sleeve is a waste of tim and bypass is the way to go. Has anyone had success with sleeve and found it a good choice? Hope I didnt make the wrong choice.

Look up the studies. The rate of conversion is fairly low. It might just look high here because more people who post are looking for support with problems than are here chatting years later about having a smooth experience.

Here's one from patients in New York.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29496440

Rate of revision/conversion was 26.0% for band, 9.8% for sleeve, and 4.9% for bypass.

I had the sleeve 11 months ago. I reached my goal weight and then lost an additional 15 pounds. I have 3 friends that all decided to get the bypass and all three still struggle to get to their goal weight.

But the surgery isn't the only difference between us. They get doctored up coffees at Starbucks. One still eats rice multiple times a week and has no plans to stop. I don't have an exact copy of the food logs but I do see what they post on Facebook occasionally for meals and its definitely not the kind of diet I'm following.

Both surgeries should be used as TOOLS to help you establish a healthier lifestyle. If you use it as the tool it is and follow a healthy diet you should be able to lose the weight you want with either surgery.

3 hours ago, Karen58 said:

I have read numerous conversations on here that say basically the sleeve is a waste of tim and bypass is the way to go.

I don't know why people are saying this (do they really? never saw this). However, there are quite a few that get conversions to bypass because of reflux complications.

I am a bypass myself, but anyone saying the sleeve is a "waste of time" in posts just needs to read the tons of sucess stories of sleevers here... they are pretty awesome. :)

Don't let those random internet postings get into your head. (((Hugs)))

You have a great tool now, and you can do as much as you want on this journey!!!

Best wishes for lots of success.

Edited by FluffySaysForkIt!

5 hours ago, Karen58 said:

Hi there new to here. I am 2 weeks post sleeve op. I had a few problems but they seem to be getting better. I have read numerous conversations on here that say basically the sleeve is a waste of tim and bypass is the way to go. Has anyone had success with sleeve and found it a good choice? Hope I didnt make the wrong choice.

Many people with the sleeve lose weight and keep it off. Link below may help with perspective

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/423992-what-you-had-no-surgery-complications/?tab=comments#comment-4758950

🔼🔼🔼🔼 Everyone is spot on 🔼🔼🔼🔼

Additional things to consider:

Who exactly is saying it's a waste of time? What evidence is provided?

(You can't get positive feed back from negative/biased sources)

Why are you worried you chose the wrong surgery?

(Complications can happen with any surgery, some cannot be avoided despite the best preparations)

A conversion conversation is best between you and your surgeon. IMHO It should also be medically necessary not fear based since you are only 2 weeks post op.

Get Well Soon & Good luck 💜

Edited by GreenTealael

I have met a few people that have gotten revisions but most people i've met that got the sleeve are happy with it (but so are pretty much most of the people that have gotten the bypass too).

23 hours ago, notmyname said:

Look up the studies. The rate of conversion is fairly low.

9.8% is still pretty high. That's 1 out of 10 patients. If it would be 1 out of 1000 or maybe 1 out of 100 I'd say it's pretty low, but not 1 out of 10.

I am a VSG to RnY revision but not because my VSG failed me, because of GERD. I didn’t hit my weight goal but I lost 47% of my excessive weight and maintained until my revision. I do know I learned a lot between surgery 1 & 2 and my biggest take away is my surgery didn’t fail me but I definitely failed my surgery. Your tool, or whatever you call it, doesn’t decide what you eat or when you eat. It doesn’t choose to drink while eating or to graze. You get out of it what you put into it.

I’m sorry for the long rant but I want you to see the full picture: sleeve vs. sleeve + behavior modification/commitment.

You’re 2 weeks out. Don’t be so hard on yourself or doubt your decision. What is done is done. No regrets. This could be the beginning of an amazing healthy future. No looking back now — only ahead...

Here we go:
I am 7 years post sleeve and I’ve regained all of my weight back and some. Highest weight before sleeve was 210, Surgery day weight was 193 (done in Mexico). I got down to 147 and maintained that for about 2 years and then started regaining. I’m 214 now.

According to my current U.S. surgeon (Dr. Stanley Klein), my Mexico surgeon (Dr. Ariel Ortiz) completely blotched my sleeve in 30 minutes (surgery report information) making it look like an hourglass instead of a banana.

BUT, I regained not because of my “bad” sleeve but because I changed my eating habits. I have A LOT of restriction still, more than a friend who’s 4 years out. I also became very anemic which caused me to pass out and get into an accident in 2014. I’m terrible about taking my Vitamins, so that’s also not my sleeve’s fault. I then received multiple infusions over the years, had my esophagus dilated twice because I wasn’t eating enough (mostly GERD pain related) and developed a grazing eating style (probably the biggest contributor to why I regained).

Having GERD since day 1 (couldn’t keep any liquids down/stayed on IV till I was literally kicked out - started putting my stuff outside - to get room ready for next patient), a hiatal hernia and two ulcers, I am now revising to the RNY (surgery date TBD 8/1/19). My malabsorption/malnutrition is because I don’t take any Vitamins. I’ve become “nutritionally crippled” as my surgeon put it which makes my body crave carbs for immediate conversion to energy. It’s literally biologically driven at this point and he told me not to blame myself for the regain — he’s so nice but I do blame myself because I got myself here! Due to the malnutrition, I’ve developed some metabolically induced issues: thyroid problem, autoimmune problem, multiple infections that antibiotics do nothing for (or maybe I’ve become prone to the antibiotics) and lately, small Fiber neuropathy (worst feet tingling and burning ever).

I’ve now started going to CBT and support groups that are super informative and fun. Last time they had a practical activity for us at the end where we pretended to be at a restaurant, were given real menus and we discussed why some choices are good and why some are not so good — keywords to lookout for, etc. I’m considering pushing my surgery date as far out as possible to be better prepared through these new resources.

I realize the problem is not my sleeve. The problem is my head — my food abuse issues, my food addiction issues, my head hunger, my emotional eating... The list of “synonyms” goes on! But in essence, all of us are here because we have these issues plus obesity/genetically related comorbidities or else, we would have not resorted to surgically modifying our anatomy. We need to fix our relationship with food if our surgeries are ever going to help us, and that’s why I’m trying to work on that more than anything this time especially because I didn’t have any pre or post care before. I’d love to get rid of my GERD and the other problems but I’d really hate to fail at losing weight, again. Not out of vanity but just to prove to myself that I can triumph over years of using food to feed disease instead of health.

Summary and awesome thing to keep in mind:
“You get out of it what you put into it.”
Thank you @Macy6! I love that... Great motto!

Take this opportunity to change your relationship with food. You are in the “honeymoon phase” where your body is not ready to accept food (it’s all head hunger), so use this time wisely to identify your emotions and cravings, knowing you can’t act on them now with your healing stomach. Later, this will really help you... when you can map your behaviors to their origin in thought (triggers) and stop the unwanted behavior right in its tracks! You’re in control! Your taste buds may also change so what you’ve liked before, you may no longer want to eat, so this is also a great opportunity to try new healthy things and learn to like those instead of our old ways that hurt us in the end.

I really wish this was helpful. I’m being as transparent as possible to give you vision into what the sleeve is and what it’s not, because I went into this initially thinking the sleeve will stop me from overeating and I’ll always have an accountability buddy, but you can drink and eat your way around any WLS out there and gain weight, not to discount the RNY for the additional malabsorption component...

You can do this!! You can use your sleeve to change and become a new person INSIDE (head/habits) out (health/body). I wish you complete healing and all the best for your future.

Edited by freetobeme

It mostly boils down to the effort put in and the way the tool is used.. If it is abused then nothing will work..

Thank you for your reply. I am aware that its only a tool and it is for me to put in yhe hard work. This seems to be the usual reply. I just wanted peoples experience in general

In the end this is only a small group of people gathering here, compared to the many people who get a sleeve every month and year. Selection bias.

I personally don't think that any WLS is "a waste of time", however, I think some procedures tend to have more complications than others and depending on medical history, the sleeve might not be the go-to-procedure.