Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My pre-op tests are tomorrow, and I’m freaking out!

Hi!

so I only need to get blood work and an ekg. I’m concerned because I’ve seen people talk about a myriad of tests they’ve had to get done, specifically a sleep test. I’m paying out of pocket if it matters?

Did everybody here need a sleep test? What if I have sleep apnea and have no idea? Does it change the surgical procedure if you do have it?

does anybody know if the blood test has to be a fasting blood test?

thanks!

I didn't have to do a sleep study and my blood test was a fasting blood test. Every doctor has their own requirements though.

Like @justmetj said, every doctor is different. I think testing also depends on your medical history and family medical history. They asked me about my sleeping habits and if I had any problems. I wasn't required to do the sleep test, which I was happy about.

3 hours ago, 12345shs16 said:

Did everybody here need a sleep test? What if I have sleep apnea and have no idea? Does it change the surgical procedure if you do have it?

If you have sleep apnea, they'll want you to get a CPAP/BiPAP machine and start using it consistently when you sleep. It may slightly delay things (my doctor wanted at least 30 days of no caffeine/alcohol/cigarettes, and consistent CPAP use), but I don't know that they do anything differently per se.

The big thing is: if you have sleep apnea and you don't know it, you WANT to know it before surgery. First off, it can totally wreck your sleep, which in turn means you may heal more slowly. Second, involuntarily tossing and turning in your sleep to find a position which gives a clear airway, right after surgery, would suck.

lots of surgeons require a sleep study, but not all. Sleep apnea is pretty common in obese people. And no - it won't cause them to cancel the surgery. The anesthesiologist needs to know about it so they can plan accordingly.

I was already on a CPAP for sleep apnea for several years, so I didn't have to do a sleep test because we already knew the results.

Gotcha all! I’m just concerned I have sleep apnea and don’t know it! I don’t want to put myself at risk for surgery, but I also don’t want to risk preventing surgery because I can only get it done in a very specific time due to other obligations!

if you have apnea, what preventative measures do they take during surgery?

i'm not sure, but I would imagine they'd do something to keep your airways open so they don't close up during surgery - maybe with tubes or something??

also, it's good to know if you have sleep apnea so you can deal with it (CPAP machine). Sleep apnea can be dangerous. I found out through my sleep study that i have a borderline case, but I luckily didn't have to get a machine - they said it should resolve after losing just 20-30 lbs.

Tomkitten is thinking strongly about following ME into WLS-land, he goes for his sleep Eval on the 25th, knows he already has GERD as well as some costochondritis, poor cholesterol/ lipids levels. He's just under 40 BMI but says Mom if they do accept me I want the improvements in life you've gotten. And when he brough5

I mean Brought it up, our Mutual PCP is very Gung,Ho about it. TK says" Mom I have seen what a change it has made in You and Our family life. I want it before I get your age" now his insurance differs from mine so I am curious What His Requirements will be. He is on Caresource, one person said 6 months of dietary consult, another said 3 months and yet another said they are dropping THAT this year. Told him he'd better call Dayton and speak to his Case Worker there. But if he truly wants it THAT bad----Well, I'm behind him all the way like he has been for ME. Says he wants the same surgeon I had, we will see if that can be arranged. No matter how thingsvend up I am Very Proud of HIM! 👸&👨

And also,i took my C Pap along as I was requested to O.SU., dopey me I forgot to take the hose and its adaptor. And alas my machine didn't fit any of the spare parts they had in Respiratory, so yours truly had to wear Oxygen with those nose prongs until my doctor released me to go home. Yes they had my best interests at ❤but I felt singled out , picked on and resentful, probably without real cause, and that's what happened to me.