Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, My name is Melinda and I'm going in for sleeve surgery on July 14th. Can you tell me your favorite way to get Protein? ei shakes, clear, powders, etc... THANKS!

I drink the pre-made shakes (Premier Protein and Equate brand mostly). I also had a sample of the unflavored Protein Powder that I tried mixing in broth a couple of times. I could never get it to dissolve properly though.

Check out the BariatricPal Store. There are a lot of hot drink packs to buy including hot cocoa and chai tea, as well as soups! Premier Protein is a popular choice and I like the Syntrex nectar as well.

Edited by KCgirl061

The unflavored Protein Powder is a great idea! What brand is the best?

Before you get your hopes up, unflavored does not mean that it is tasteless. It only means that there is no artificial flavoring added to it. It still has a taste and it is not appealing at all. I could only use it in strong Soups like a curry or Tomato.

And before anyone recommends it, genpro is snake oil and crap. Avoid it like the plague. Also, any Protein that boasts about having collagen or Gelatin as the protein source is crap as well. It is literally worthless. Same thing as sugar free gelatin or Pork rinds.

The best protein honestly, it's the one that you can tolerate and will actually use. Brand, flavor, isolate or concentrate... all of that is pointless if you cannot stand using it. Just personal experience. I settled on one of the more trusted brands and have stuck by it because it tastes good to me. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey concentrate. Isopure is another trusted brand, but I didn't like any of the isolates textures.

Isopure ready-made blue raspberry or punch. Or Premier Protein. Or Bone Broth.

Don't buy huge quantities pre-op because sometimes after surgery your taste buds suddenly won't tolerate something that was fine before.

Good luck. We all have to suffer through this phase and it feels like forever but goes pretty quick in hindsight.

Thank you to everyone for all of your suggestions and advice. I appreciate it.

I've got plenty of bulk Protein I love it but I'm used to the flavors of protein

7 hours ago, Sosewsue61 said:

Don't buy huge quantities pre-op because sometimes after surgery your taste buds suddenly won't tolerate something that was fine before.

And even if it doesn't suddenly change, they can go from "tolerable but not... great" to "counting the minutes until my follow-up in the hopes that I'd get advanced to the soft food stage so I don't go insane from continuing to force this down" over the course of a week or so.