Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 hours ago, Krestel said:

Or it could be like me where my pouch hasnt had ANY problems whatsoever to the point that im wondering if the surgeon made it big (he didnt). In fact, I had my first post-op checkup (6 weeks out) and asked all sorts of questions like, "is it normal to be so normal?" She kinda laughed at that. The only "mistake" I was making was taking double the amount of bariatric Vitamins that I needed. The surgeon isnt as caught up as the dieticians on which Vitamin cocktails are available now and I was taking both sets of Vitamins. Oops.

But yeah, I was (edit: still am) obsessed pre and post op and love watching 600 lb life too. Even if dont weigh anywhere near as much, it helped me see the challenges in a VERY obvious way in order to reflect on my own mindset. Being obsessed is really the only way to start. I even started trying to eat a bit in a bariatric way before the surgery (but with more volume of food) in order to see if I could do it.

Preparation is key and it is never too early to test things out.

This was me. I was so worked up by so many of the posts on this site that I was sure my totally normal experience must be abnormal & it wasn't working & blah blah. My doctor said the people chatting about issues on forums tend to be the outliers, not the norm. And I've noticed when I was in my manically checking this site phase how many people just sorta drop off after a few months & haven't updated. I think a lot of them just don't have any issues & thus aren't gonna hang out & talk about nothing.

I still do not have my surgery date. I think about my surgery constantly. I read forums, I watch videos, read blogs. Is anyone as obsessed as I am? Is this normal?
I am completely in the same boat. I should get my surgery in September or October. I'm just doing my 6 months physician period required by my insurance. I am just so ready to do things I couldn't do before.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m on month 4 of 6 of my insurance required visits. No surgery date set yet but hoping for late September or October. Not a day goes by that I don’t do at least one of the following... research online, watch YouTube Bariatric videos or browse here and several Facebook groups. I’m pretty anxious now. I originally started the process 4 years ago but only went as far as the first visit. I felt surgery was too drastic at the time and I thought I could lose the weight on my own. After many ups and downs (biggest loss of 50 pounds) and gaining it all back my pcp referred me to a weight management center. I feel comfortable with the staff/doctor. I hope the remaining months go by fast. I’ve never ever wanted summer to be over with. Lol.
Me too!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

5 hours ago, JanJan19 said:

This was me. I was so worked up by so many of the posts on this site that I was sure my totally normal experience must be abnormal & it wasn't working & blah blah. My doctor said the people chatting about issues on forums tend to be the outliers, not the norm. And I've noticed when I was in my manically checking this site phase how many people just sorta drop off after a few months & haven't updated. I think a lot of them just don't have any issues & thus aren't gonna hang out & talk about nothing.

Good point. Glad to hear it's not just me who is normal and wondering. I still love the support here though and reading about others experiences. Even reading about the problems can help you prepare.

Prepare for the worst but hope for the best!

I still do not have my surgery date. I think about my surgery constantly. I read forums, I watch videos, read blogs. Is anyone as obsessed as I am? Is this normal?
I was like that also and even though I have my surgery date. I'm still like that, I just can't wait to have it done.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am so glad that I am not the only one that is "obsessed" I have my 4th out of 6 nutrition appointments tomorrow and I am so excited. Hopefully will have my surgery in late September or October. :-)

I'm close to 8.5 months post-op and i'm still pretty focused.

I figure so long as your "focus" isn't interfering negatively with your daily lives, then focus/obsess away...it may help keep you on the path longer and straighter.

On 7/7/2019 at 9:21 PM, NagathaChristie said:

I didn't become obsessed until I got my date (well my first one on 5/15 (real surgery happened 6/28)) but lol i've gotten it done and i'm still obsessed but about different things. Now it's post-op what I can drink, eat, recipes for every stage etc.

Edited by TheJuice202

On 7/8/2019 at 10:58 AM, Frustr8 said:

Or me either at 10 months, and thought I was perfectly ready, cool, calm, ready to start living the Bariatric life. And I read all the "pie in the sky" pamphlets I could get my chubby little paws on. Nobody mentioned my Evil new Friend. Stoma-stenosis and his sidekick jejunal ulceration. And I did not realize it takes it seems to take forever to heal. I have been on Carafate every 6 hours since October 12, 2018. I used to joke at autopsy the medical examiner would find my spine consisted of Halls cough drops, well now it has changed to oval white caplets of Carafate. And I am happy- proud of losing 125 since surgery , but Me Oh My, what I have gone through to get there! And when I try to talk to someone about my qualms, all they see is the thinner, more shapely body like a so-called Normal woman and they tune me out. I fear I will turn into a thinner corpse, easy on the pallbearer but actrifle harsh for me. And I am still on pureed, Protein shakes, Soups, broths and approved no calorie liquids. Know anyone else on basically a pre- surgery liver shrinking diet for almost a year? Except on it I got a 300 calorie Lean Cuisine every evening . Now I don't even have that! And when I try to advance my diet, Precious Pouch slaps some sense into me by vomiing EVERYTHING up.
Why.can't I get a little honesty? If I am going to be a Gastrointestinal Cripple the rest of my fool life, OWN UP TO IT, I promise I will be less angry than I am now being ignored by the Clinic for 4 months. I reached out once, was told I was delusional, there was nothing wrong with me, this after not being able to keep anything down for 16 hours, and was advised to seek mental health help in my County. Relatively certain we have no one here. Local ER dreads seeing me, not sure how to treat anything beyond basics. They say "What can we do for you? We know little if anything about recovering RNY patients." Well my Bariatric surgeon is in Columbus, 50 miles away , Tomkitten and I don't drive, local transportation group wants 2 weeks prior notice so they will transport for scheduled appointments, but anything emergent, Forget about it!
So I chug along, venting on here, praying still there is a Good Resolution to all this. Less than 25 pounds to Goal, now my PCP who I thought was in my corner is getting some sort of Cold Feet. Told me last week he only expected me to lose 70% of my excess weight, I have lost 68.3% and have 2 months before it's a full year. Some people you just can't please & he was the one 2 years ago dancing around ,singing. " Obesity gonna Kill You!" now I'm too thin? Oh come on, you were one of my Weight Loss Godfathers, and now you're backing Down? When I need some on to talk to about this, not even YOU WILL HELP? I feel rather abandoned by all, so I keep trying my best, and wistfully praying it is enough.

I’ve been searching the forum for any mentions of Stomal Stenosis. I wasn’t sure the exact term to search. I came across your post - (I don’t want to scare the OP since my RNY experience is different since I have so many medical issues.) I had a upper gi fluoroscopy and am having a upper gi Thursday, that I waited weeks for.

I need to research as much as I can yet even then you can’t find everything you need to know. Risk isn’t high but if there is a side effect to a medication or complications from surgery, im bound to get it. I don’t quite understand narrowing of the gastrojejunostomy aka stricture. The mechanism yes, but there isn’t a lot of information. I see some research studies and how stenosis is <9mm stricture. Average seems 5mm and balloon to stretch during endoscopy. (Can’t find my words right now) to around 15mm. And the dr shouldn’t stretch it more than 3-4mm per session.

But my stricture is 3mm. I’m not comfortable with going into the endoscopy with him just messing around in there and me not knowing what he might do. I trust my dr, it’s not that. My body can’t handle the at least five endoscopy session it would take. I’m not sure what the alternative would be.

Having RNY was a necessity, my last chance to fight my weight. I just need doctors to be honest and straightforward about it, not sugar coat it with, it’ll get better. I didn’t hear from the doctor after the first test showing hiatal hernia, Schatzkis ring and this 3mm stomal stenosis. I don’t know what treatment options are but I cannot take proton pump inhibitors. I did post about this but it’s not common here. It’s also hard finding information.

I’m also still in Protein Shakes, broth, easier to eat Soups, purée made me sick. I did try soft Pasta but feel sick no matter what. Water ... I loved drinking water. Now I can’t. When I get thirsty I try and it’s quite painful.

Im also seeing a neurologist for dysphasia, whatever mechanism that sends food to the stomach vs lungs isn’t working properly. Not likely caused by the surgery, just revealed after surgery. He is testing me for myasthenia gravis.

one thing no one discusses is how surgery changes how you take medication. pills that are bigger or time release will never absorb properly. And no nsaids for life. I have no chronic pain management and it’s hard to find medication in liquid form.

Living with chronic illness all my life I understand being abandoned by people including doctors that just can’t deal with the complications. And don’t acknowledge they exist. I have that with my uro/gyn I need some clarification on a pelvic mass and he told my mom wait two months after I’d already waited long enough and he didn’t look at the test to see I needed another test to determine if I need laparoscopic biopsy. I saw a nurse practitioner thinking the appointment was with him, they gave me an appointment that was supposed to be tomorrow but canceled it. Ugh.

Sorry. I am likely posting too much out of exhaustion and frustration. All I want is proper information so I can deal with things.

Edited by Darktowerdream

Omg I am the same way. Totally obsessing! I just found this site last week after my first appt with my surgeon. I have to do 6 month nutrition appts and my first one is this Friday. My surgeon said I can have surgery end of December. I have been reading everywhere. Still learning how to use this site. Overload of information but so grateful to have it in one place where real people can share their different experiences.

Ghajini

YES! I am totally obsessed. Been thinking about doing it for years and I have my first appointment with my bariatric surgeon tomorrow, so I’m at the beginning. Scared, nervous, confused, excited, you name it, I am it.

I'm the same way. I think after surgery, the obsession will decrease. Good luck!

Yep, I'm with you. My date is 10/1/19 and still obsessed. Can't wait for the hard work to begin. Oh, wait....it already has!

On 7/8/2019 at 12:00 AM, Carolina Rose said:

I’m on month 4 of 6 of my insurance required visits. No surgery date set yet but hoping for late September or October. Not a day goes by that I don’t do at least one of the following... research online, watch YouTube Bariatric videos or browse here and several Facebook groups. I’m pretty anxious now. I originally started the process 4 years ago but only went as far as the first visit. I felt surgery was too drastic at the time and I thought I could lose the weight on my own. After many ups and downs (biggest loss of 50 pounds) and gaining it all back my pcp referred me to a weight management center. I feel comfortable with the staff/doctor. I hope the remaining months go by fast. I’ve never ever wanted summer to be over with. Lol.

I am on the same track as you. My last nutritionist appointments are 8/9 and 9/11. I am hoping that they will get me scheduled soon after that. I can't wait to get to the next step in this journey :-)