Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELLO THOUGHT I'D MAKE A PAGE JUST FOR MEN who started surgery between 300-350lbs

Would like to know your current weight loss&starting post op at like 3,6,9,12months with RNY BYPASS as first and only surgery?

I'm 320 I'll be having bypass likely end of September :)

Getting excited!!

Hey there. I’m 36 yr old male. My start weight was exactly 350 for the sleeve. Left the hospital 2 days post op and weighed 348 when I got home. I’m 6 days post op and I weighed in at 330 just now. A little unsolicited advice though. Some people, like me, have pain from the trapped gas. Only way to deal with it is to get up and walk. I had no idea and wasn’t warned... They kept me an extra day bc it was so bad. Also... the cold water/ ice chips made me hiccup non stop for hours. Most painful hiccups ever! Stick to room temp liquids at first. 3 days post op I had no more pain. Good luck!

Hello,

I started at 338lbs in September of ‘18 and had gastric sleeve completed on Dec 27th of ‘18. I’m currently 193.6lbs and am shooting to reach my Ideal BMI weight of 160. The ideal weight is just a target and my surgeon and nutritionist are closely monitoring my weight and blood levels and have told me repeatedly they will stop me if I need to stop prior to that.

I know you stated you are planning bypass, that is what my surgeon wanted me to have, however, I had previous abdominal surgeries from a appendix that ruptured and the bypass wasn’t an option.

The surgery, the “pain”, the pre-op diet....EVERYTHING WAS WORTH IT!
I was down around 50lbs at surgery and have been steadily loosing weight since then. Some months more than others. Everyone sees the change in themselves a little differently in my opinion. I sometimes still see the Big Me, so I weigh myself every day. It’s my reassurance and my accountability to myself and my family.

I will tell you, I lost weight faster from month 1-4 than from 5 to current. But if I track my food, make good eating decisions (forever), I will reach my goal weight. I will not be in the statistic that only looses a portion of the excess or even regains.

If there’s ever anything I can answer, I’d be happy to give you my opinion based on my experience. You can message me in my inbox.

Regards

Cheers for the feedback mate it's actually my birthday well in an hour it will be :)

yeah i started at 310, im 191 now. everything was worth it. went from a xxl and i can fit into a large. went from a 50x32 to a 36x32. sweat pants will be your friend, i purchased jeans and ended up having to get rid of them 2 months later because it was so baggy. dont let people tell you that you are getting to skinny, i get that a lot and it bothers me.

I had a starting weight of 347 when I had surgery October 2017 (I can't believe it's coming up on two years already). I currently hover between 170-173 lbs. Went from a XXXL shirt and 44 pants to a medium shirt and 32 pants. I have so much more energy and can move so much easier. I had VSG done and don't regret a second of it! My BMI went from 50 to a normal range of 24.5. I'm technically "Half the man I used to be"

Edited by MG1776

How did you guys establish a goal weight? You guys have similar starting weights but I cant even imagine dropping below 200. I came up with 225 as it was when I looked my best but I was 17 and had a ton of muscle from lifting weights. Starting to realize 225 with my current muscle mass will be much different than it was back then.

On 8/7/2019 at 6:17 AM, Brent701 said:

How did you guys establish a goal weight? You guys have similar starting weights but I cant even imagine dropping below 200. I came up with 225 as it was when I looked my best but I was 17 and had a ton of muscle from lifting weights. Starting to realize 225 with my current muscle mass will be much different than it was back then.

HI BRENT701

I FELT THE EXACT WAY YOU DO UNTIL I GOT TO 220 THEN I FELT I COULD GO LOWER AND FEEL EVEN BETTER AT 200 AND STILL THOUGHT I COULD GO LOWER AT 200 FEEL REALLY COMFORTABLE AT 195 PLUS OR MINUS A FEW POUND S MUSCLE MASS HAS CHANGED SINCE I WAS A YOUNG MAN FOR SURE I FEEL GREAT AND STILL HAVE NOT STARTED LIFTING YET STILL DO MY CARDIO EVERY DAY AND EAT WITH A PURPOSE NOT TO GET FULL JUST TO GIVE MY BODY WHAT IT NEEDS FOR FUEL BEST OF LUCK

I am scheduled for RNY surgery on 10/28/19. Currently 400 pounds but I have gained/lost the same 50 pounds for about a decade and 400 is usually my top.

I've been overweight since I was young (8-9 years old), was able to lose weight and feel good during a stint in the Army. After I was discharged in 1995 I was 225 and build like an athlete (I am 6'4). However, I put on about 20 pounds a year, maxing out at around 425-450 (I assume, because I didn't have a scale that went that high) in 2005.

My surgeon set a "goal" for me of 240 because I am pretty big boned, but like others have mentioned, 225 in 1995 is not the same 225 today so I am keeping my lower range open. We'll see how I feel as I lose.

Brent701,

When I was in my initial consultation, my surgeon asked what I wanted to weigh. I told him what he wanted me to weigh. He was the expert. He pulled his calculator out and came up with 160 which he then quickly told me was arbitrary. He told me to think of my goal weight like the finish line in a long distance race. Most racers slow down (even if just a fraction) and what the really good racers do is just keep working. He said he would tell me when to stop and that my body very well might be ideal at a different weight. Ended up he stopped me at 180. Told me to not loose anymore. That if I had t become obese that I would be normal at this point.

I still track my foods, and am very active. I hover between 175-180 and will do that indefinitely.

When I started I only hoped I could be “normal”. I went from a 46-48 jean to a 30-33 depending on brand. A 3xl shirt that was tight to a small or medium again depending on the brand. But I feel amazing. I think I look great too.

Checking in to eventually add more to this topic. Only had my sleeve just over 2 weeks ago. Was 327 on surgery day. Picked 220 as an arbitrary goal. I looked very skinny at 250 around 7-8 years ago.

Great thread. I'm 3 months from 40....just got sleeved on November 4, 2019, weighing in at 301.5 (I'm 5' 9"). HW-316. Like others, I didn't have a set goal weight. I kind of set 199 for myself just because it's been nearly 25 years since I've seen a 1 as the first digit on the scale.< br>
Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app