Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 days on PO Clear Liquid Feel Like Crap- HELP

Hi all
Brand new here. My surgery is scheduled for July 11. I am 7 days into my pre op clear liquid diet. All was going well until this morning. I feel horrible- light headed, shakey, weak, and exhausted- and I just woke up.
I have been drinking at least 75oz of actual Water everyday plus 2 mugs of broth, 2 30g Protein Shakes, 2 cups of sf Jello, and a few sf popsicles and 12oz of sf Gatorade.

Anyone have any advise on what I can do to help beat this feeling? It’s my 7 year old birthday party today and I need to feel better.

Any help would be appreciated- Thanks and have a great day.

Can you check your blood pressure? It might be low. You might need a little bit of sodium (not much!!). Maybe sprinkle a little bit into your palm, or mix with Water. But again, not much. Try 1/4 tsp.

I'm proud of you that you've hung in there for 7 days with liquids!!! How much weight have you lost in the 7 days?

I'm trying to get back onto a liquid restart now almost 6 years out.

Feel better and good luck this week!! Look forward to happier, thinner living.

I’m sorry you aren’t feeling well. I was going to ask the same question so I hope you don’t mind if I tag along and see what the others say. My surgery is Tuesday and this is the first day in the 2 week pre-op diet that I have felt this miserable. All the same symptoms you described.

Positive thoughts coming your way.

Thanks all. I have lost 10 lbs in 7 days. Little discouraged cause I thought it would have been a little more with only “eating” about 400 calories but happy that it’s still coming off. Maybe it is the salt. I switched to a reduced sodium broth - I’ll try the regular and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think the sodium has messed me up. I haven’t lost as much as I thought I would have. My surgery is tomorrow 😳 I’m so nervous!!

1 hour ago, Teachergal82 said:

I think the sodium has messed me up. I haven’t lost as much as I thought I would have. My surgery is tomorrow 😳 I’m so nervous!!

YOU GOT THIS!!!! My date is 2 weeks after you - on 7/22 & I am P*U*M*P*E*D!!

You know what helped/inspired/encouraged me? YouTube videos!! Just search "VGS" "BARIATRIC" & "BARIATRICPAL" (YES!! BP has YouTube videos!) You'll see people who have gone through this whole thing! They tell you what you might experience, before & after. They offer tips. There are even some who were VLogging the DAY OF THEIR SURGERY!!! Also -- if you're not the squeamish type: there are videos of the actual surgery!! I found it fascinating, but I like watching that type of thing! LOL! Watch some of the videos- they really help!

Have sugar free Gatorade for electrolytes. Your body doesn’t know what is going on. Drink drink drink. Honestly you won’t feel great for awhile. You just have to deal and rest. Not being mean just honest. None of this is a cake walk. But the health benefits are trade off in the future.

4 hours ago, MommaBearOf5 said:

Thanks all. I have lost 10 lbs in 7 days. Little discouraged cause I thought it would have been a little more with only “eating” about 400 calories but happy that it’s still coming off. Maybe it is the salt. I switched to a reduced sodium broth - I’ll try the regular and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regular broth may have TOO MUCH sodium. Don't indulge in the sodium.

Again, I first say, check your blood pressure, and if it's a lot lower than your normal, just a tongue-tip taste of salt granules might get you over the hump. But drinking regular broth with regular amounts of sodium will increase your weight.

Thanks I did try more Gatorade and Water - I’m going to have my husband check my bp tonight. Increasing my fluids even more seemed to help. Thanks for the help I appreciate it

How did your surgery go? I hope all is well!

I had surgery on 7/11. It went very well. I’m feeling great today. Kinda over this liquid diet - lol. Protein has been a little tough to get in- but instead of drinking it back to back I have opted to drink 2oz every hour on the hour and it seems to be working better for me today. And other than that I just keep sipping something - broth, Jello, Gatorade 0, and Water. 😊