Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyone has a moment where they realize they need to do something. Maybe it’s not fitting in an airplane seat, or having to go up a size in clothes.... I’m sure there has been a thread like this before but I don’t want to go back and search it!

Mine isn’t a moment but a series of moments. I saw a picture of myself and thought, is that what I really look like? The final straw was a trip to DC- I about DIED. All. The. Walking! And if you will recall the Southeast had a heat wave in May- yep we were there when it began. The worst was when we visited Mt Vernon on the way back. I was swollen, hot, cranky, and MISERABLE. I called and made the appointment for the consult right after we got back- it was late May 2019. Two months in and I am about to start all the requirements.... hoping for Surgery in Dec (only so that I won’t have to repay my deductible- but if not, it’s not the end of the world....)

Anyway, I’m attaching a horrifying picture but I have to preface it like any good fluffy girl would do- yes, I’m big, but the day this picture was taken was the second attempt at a swim meet that had been canceled the night before due to lightning. We had to be at the pool by 7 am after leaving the night before late and having kids hyped but from adrenaline because they couldn’t swim. I had on little makeup and I know that does nothing for my fat rolls, but still.... I look like the walking dead because I was. I usually try to keep my toes done and my hair did, but this is the worst of the worst for me! This is not the moment that made me call but the moment that confirmed my decision. Im approximately 255 here.

E6BC2292-0AD6-49AB-B0F0-F884EE379171.png

Two things- I’m Amanda BTW. I forgot to introduce myself. I’m more of a lurker but I’m learning.

2- homeboy in front is hiding half of me.... shutter.

My "moment " came in May of 2018 with a series of events. I was 246 pounds, and didn't want to hit 250. I was wearing a 3x in clothes and they were getting tight, and I didn't know where I'd find clothes. I was out of breath and sweatty just walking to my car from work, and I had diabetes type 2. High blood pressure. I was literally a hot mess, and I said to myself "that's it!" I went to the informational session with my husband at my bariatric surgeon's office on May of 2018, completed Anthem's 6 months of requirements, and had my gastric bypass on March 27, 2019. Although I've had complications Im thrilled that I had the surgery!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

After a good 10 years dealing with life and alcoholism I finally gave it up and once my mind was clear of alcohol I noticed geez I'm in my 30s and over 300lbs.. I don't want to still be fat and unhealthy at 40.. I need to make a change and I found surgery will help me greatly in getting my life back on track...

I also had a series of things that led up to my decision. I avoided having my photo taken, but the few that got taken made me downright ashamed. Let's talk about all of the physical signs that my body was in crisis: fatigue, shortness of breath, pain. Everyday activities were getting so hard and painful. I also developed sleep apnea. I was snoring like a lumberjack and my husband remarked several times that I frightened him because I stopped breathing. I even had a moment on an airline, traveling for business, where I simply could not secure the seatbelt and was too ashamed to ask for an extender. So, I just tucked the belt under my belly to hide it. You'd think all these things would have made a difference, but it's amazing how you accommodate obesity into your life. It's not as if I didn't know that I needed to lose weight, I just didn't seem to be able to fight my demons with food and the physical side of being obese made exercise difficult.

My "A-Ha" moment came when I was walking with a crowd to a concert and a man on the other side of the street hollered out something about the fat or obese they let into this event. Looking back at it now, more than 2 years later, I can't even remember exactly what he said, but it struck me personally. I just knew in my heart that he was directing his vitriol at me and I was very hurt. To my recollection, I had NEVER been ridiculed for my size before (at least not to my face). His remarks were devastating to me. I had already been considering weight loss surgery, but this was the moment that made my decision. Not right away of course, but when I got home and his poisonous sentiments sunk in, I knew I had to do something and I was not equipped to do it without help. Whenever I had doubts or fears, I kept going back to that moment and how it made me feel. I resolved that I never wanted to feel that way again.

S@ssen@cch- your comments hit me to the core. This person is vile and I hope they never have anyone do something like that to them ... sorry, the southern in me is blessing their heart right now!! And not in the good way!! Sweet girl I hope you continue to use that as fuel for your fire!! 😘😘😘

So let me start by saying I am 44 turning 45 this year. My moment was when I was 17. I went to an extremely small high school 5 kids including me in my graduating class. My junior year when the other two girls in my class were looking at styles of dress for a function that was mandatory for us to attend I didn’t look right in what they choose so I looked very odd that night and was uncomfortable but by my senior year I was close to 280lbs i knew I need it. I graduated in June and got married to my husband in July and started to see what insurance would require when I found out I was pregnant with my oldest daughter. When she was 4 I told myself I’m going to do the surgery before she gets into school so I don’t embarrass her. I was over 300lbs by then. Ended up pregnant a second time. When the second baby was three months old I was in a horrible accident and was immobilized for 8 months but at home and surrounded by well meaning family and friends who were more than happy to cook me yummy fattening comfort food. Finally after about 5 years of physical therapy I could walk again normally and got back under 300. Husband and I both started the process to have gastric bypass. Found out my insurance wouldn’t cover me so husband got his surgery lost 250lbs and is still maintaining and I slowly started creeping back up again 5-10lbs per year. I’ve started and stopped again many times due to “life” (in reality I just don’t think I was ready to do the work needed). Last year my baby graduated high school and we were looking at her pictures and from my oldest’s high school and college picture and realized that while there are tons of pictures of them with every member of both sides of the family there really is only one with each of them with me hiding behind a bunch of other people so you can’t see my size. That was the final moment. My oldest got engaged this year and is planning on a 2021 wedding. I WILL be in those wedding pictures looking so much better than I did in MY graduation pictures. Next week I get my sleeve on the 15th, 25 years since my first “moment”.

Jdymitc- sooo sweet. Life definitely gets in the way but we have to make ourselves the priority!

The moment I really started to consider it was a couple years back on a trip to DisneyWorld. I was at my heaviest, 402 lb, (I’m only 5’4”. ) Walking was a misery. My feet swelled up so much! The flight was absolutely miserable and I couldn’t fit in some of the rides. It took me three years from that trip to actually start the process. I was constantly thinking about it but it took the addition of my sleep apnea getting worse, pre-diabetes, and a creeping up of my blood pressure to make the first appointment. That was 2 months ago. I’m currently 44 years old. My insurance says it takes about 9 months of preparation. I’ve changed everything in the last 2 months. I’m off sugar, eating low carb, working out 5 times a week, and have dropped to 366 lb. This is all in preparation for getting a gastric bypass in the next year. I’m determined to have my habits in place and my head game strong before the surgery.

4 hours ago, TattooedSeaStar said:

Everyone has a moment where they realize they need to do something. Maybe it’s not fitting in an airplane seat, or having to go up a size in clothes.... I’m sure there has been a thread like this before but I don’t want to go back and search it!

Mine isn’t a moment but a series of moments. I saw a picture of myself and thought, is that what I really look like? The final straw was a trip to DC- I about DIED. All. The. Walking! And if you will recall the Southeast had a heat wave in May- yep we were there when it began. The worst was when we visited Mt Vernon on the way back. I was swollen, hot, cranky, and MISERABLE. I called and made the appointment for the consult right after we got back- it was late May 2019. Two months in and I am about to start all the requirements.... hoping for Surgery in Dec (only so that I won’t have to repay my deductible- but if not, it’s not the end of the world....)

Anyway, I’m attaching a horrifying picture but I have to preface it like any good fluffy girl would do- yes, I’m big, but the day this picture was taken was the second attempt at a swim meet that had been canceled the night before due to lightning. We had to be at the pool by 7 am after leaving the night before late and having kids hyped but from adrenaline because they couldn’t swim. I had on little makeup and I know that does nothing for my fat rolls, but still.... I look like the walking dead because I was. I usually try to keep my toes done and my hair did, but this is the worst of the worst for me! This is not the moment that made me call but the moment that confirmed my decision. Im approximately 255 here.

E6BC2292-0AD6-49AB-B0F0-F884EE379171.png

I yoyo dieted most of my adult life. After my kids and a few traumatic events my weight escalated. I lost the motivation to lose it. I knew I was significantly overweight. If I could have lost it on my own and maintained my weight, I would have done it.

My “moment”

254 morbidly obese and a type one diabetic.

I went into diabetic ketoacidosis. Eight days in Intensive care, my vital organs where systemically shutting down and My heart stopped. Dr’s brought me back. Nothing like a near death experience to give you a reality check.

I had surgery in 2014 I get this second chance in life. I’m still maintaining and I don’t take my health for granted.

My moment was on Saturday at work. I am medical assistant and on this day a patient came to the office short of breath and couldn't get out the car. I ran down stairs due to the fact the clinic is on the second floor. I then had to run back up stairs to get the provider. To make a long story short I ended up running up and down the stairs about 5 times before help came. I could not catch my breath, my chest was tight. More than that I was so embarrassed that I allowed myself to get to this point. That is when I said enough is enough.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using BariatricPal mobile app

My moment was honestly maybe 2years ago, diet and workout wasn’t working for me so I did my own research on WLS. I didn’t do anything about seeing a surgeon back then because I didn’t know how. Fast forward to November 2018, I went in for an emergency gallbladder removal because I was in excruciating pain. Then here came my one week check up but the surgeon who did the surgery didn’t have an opening for over 2 weeks but she still wanted me to see someone. So they made my appointment and I met with the surgeon and at the end of my follow up he asks “by the way has anyone talked to you about weight loss surgery?” (Now for most people I think would have gotten offended but I didn’t). I told him no but I am interested. Turns out he was a bariatric surgeon. He gave me his card to call to make a consultation appointment and I did, the minute I got home. Dec 5 2018 came and I had my consult and at the end he asked me if I would like to go forward with the process of getting approved by insurance and I said. Got approved May 30th and I will be getting VSG on a August 19th 2019

My highest weight recorded at my primary doctors office was 270 and at consult I was at 253

Always have been overweight since I can remember.

I too was always a Plump Princess, even from birth. I had under control, I was big yes but exercised, was a player of sports, basketnall, softball and neighborhood baseball. I was stable around 230, then suddenly I ballooned to 365+ and was on Phenteramine, team I broke out in fat.Was told I probably had a couple years to live if I were lucky. And suddenly I never stood if I could sit because it hurt my 2 artificial knees so badly, I was short of breath, couldn't climb steps, that turned to don't sit v if you can lays down and why bother with anything if I was on the slick glide path to mortality. I heard about Bariatric Surgery, oh I thought it would be only for Chickee babies who were 20s and 30s. But my Red-head stubbornness kicked in, Wasn't I just as good as them? Shoot I have lived longer than them, and so I said DON'T COUNT ME OUT! Yeah I am a Greandma, but I won't be a fat one anymore, didn't want my grandbabies ashamed of me but even mote I DIDNT WANT TO BE DISAPPOINTED IN MYSELF. If it killed me having surgery , so be it. Everyone expected I would blow up, family already deciding my pissessoonscamong them. Am I sorry for it? Well yes and no, I am glad I had a good surgery, I started malfunctioning, and my recovery has not been picture perfect, but I still believe it can be ! I am a cock-eyed optimist and I shall not be a loser, Wasn't born for that and why week to be average when you can be Outstanding. So I chug chug toward the finish line like a brave little jalopy🚘, scratches, dings, lost a fender skirt somewhere, don't know for certain whether the chassis and engine will hold up, but I am worth more than thec$250 local guys charge such things like me. As long as I keep moving , them and the repossessers cannot hook a cable to ME!